Chief's less than brief Brimah Vivisection | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief's less than brief Brimah Vivisection

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Brimah just didn't have the instincts. Good low post players seek contact. Get the guy on their hip so they can defend, make an offensive move or rebound. Brimah avoided contact so he was often out of position offensively, defensively and for rebounding. Good low post players don't dip their hands when they are on the ball. It's a bad habit to get into and difficult habit to break. Lots of low post guys do it and they get eaten up by help defenders.

He was a good kid. He tried his best.

Reaction Score
Naturally thin players like Brimah don't need to get big. They do need to get strong. His hands were especially weak and only his final season did he seem to have stronger hands. But even then he had problems securing the ball. That would seem to a skill taught to soccer goalies as they have to catch the ball. Based on those things I tend to agree with Chief's assessment that we didn't spend enough time on Brimah's hands.

You have hands or you don't have hands. He didn't, coaches can teach a little about catching the ball but please, this isn't hands school. You knew when you were 8 years old if you had good hands or not.

And you know what's funny is I don't think his "hands" were that bad at all, catching it at least. Problem was strength and ready hands, they were never up and ready to catch anything that required quick reactions. Again all leads to instincts right?

Reaction Score
What amazes me is that Brimah, to this day, doesn't seem to know that there's a backboard in the game of basketball -- a glass. I don't recall one time in four years where he tried a bank shot -- the simplest of big man moves -- the basic, turnaround carom that Bill Walton lived off of, once making 21 of 22 in an NCAA game. Brimah always goes for the hoop. Did no big-man coach, even once in four years, demonstrate the bank shot to this fellow. Did he find its components so complex that he never once dared to try it in a game? The depths of Brimah's unteachability are really startling.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Coaches fault. The 4 others on the court should have been mandated never to throw him the ball less than 10-11 feet high. A bounce pass, chest high, and THAT player sits.

+/- ratio for points he produced to turnovers/slap aways, fumble out of bounds....? 10/9o. Easy

Reaction Score
What amazes me is that Brimah, to this day, doesn't seem to know that there's a backboard in the game of basketball -- a glass. I don't recall one time in four years where he tried a bank shot -- the simplest of big man moves -- the basic, turnaround carom that Bill Walton lived off of, once making 21 of 22 in an NCAA game. Brimah always goes for the hoop. Did no big-man coach, even once in four years, demonstrate the bank shot to this fellow. Did he find its components so complex that he never once dared to try it in a game? The depths of Brimah's unteachability are really startling.

I'm thinking the turnaround bank shot was far down on the list after blocking out, defensive positioning/rotation, catching the ball, rebounding, etc. Amida was a piece of clay that was molded into a pretty solid player. He was never going to be what we all thought he "could" be due to a lack of experience, talent, instinct. I do not fault the "big man" coach, whomever that is (Chief is preparing the Glen Miller dartboard). Not every raw African big man turns into Olajuwon or to a far lesser extent, Dikembe. Hell, most do not become as accomplished as Amida.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
For four years AB led the nation in the under the radar stat of "most time falling to the ground during a game". Put that in your pipe and smoke it. I've been putting something in my pipe over the years to reduce my Brimah migraines. Oh and thanks for the analysis Chief. You are a vastly underrated asset on the BY.

Reaction Score
I'm making up a spreadsheet to help me tell whether a post is sarcastic or not.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The part about me smoking is factual.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
TL/DR. Travis's and Miller's fault. Got it.
Confirmation bias, exhibit A. It was always Travis and Miller.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, since the season ended I have been able to talk with candor with a few people. One thing that has always puzzled me about Brimah - Has his ineffectiveness and lack of development been due to poor work habits? Or has it been due to focus on the wrong things, poor Big coaching and an inability to process things he's taugh?

Unanimously, it appears to be the later and not the former. Everyone said Brimah did work hard. The reason his body did not develop (even a little) was due to Travis's stubbornness and academic theories about flexibility and conditioning - all of which minimized the importance of tradition strength training. Only after widespread criticism Brimah's Jr year, a new AD's more results orientated culture, and pressure from his chain of command did Travis final begrudgingly make some changes, that were coupled with better nutrition.

Meanwhile Coach Miller spent Brimah's individual workouts going over elaborate footwork and spin moves, which were based on a number of flawed premises:

1). Not enough time was spent on how to look for the pass, get your hands in position to catch the ball and finally see the ball into your hands. There was a denial that these basic fundamental things needed to be taugh.
2). There was whistling through the graveyard regarding how Brimah would end up in the perfect and precise offensive Ivy League type positions that Coach Miller would start his elaborate footwork drills. That was basically assumed. True, he was told by KO he had to hit and fight for post position - but he was never effectively taugh techniques to do so in individual workouts by an assistant coach.
3) The results were an assist to turnover ratio of 0.16, large blocks of time on the bench due to early fouls (105 fouls for season), many of which came from Brimah using his hands to fight for position. In the rare instances in which Brimah was able to get position and catch the ball in the post - often that was followed by a travel violation. He did develop an inside out pass his Senior year or at least made the attempt. However, for various mechanical reasons to technical to get into here, his passes were often high, inaccurate and rushed.
4). While the relatively complex moves Brimah was taught sometimes would work against relatively passive resistance in individual workouts - the opportunity would not happen often in games for reasons cited above and when they did they were too complex for him to pull off under pressure. While Coach Miller preached a fluid move that was basically one long phase, Chief believes Brimah should have broken the play down into stages: position, expecting and seeing the ball, visualizing it into his hands, firmly possessing the ball and finally starting his move based on the defense.

I could go on for many paragraphs for the less casual fans but I think this gives the flavor to most readers of what went wrong.
Quite frankly, since the season ended I have been able to talk with candor with a few people. One thing that has always puzzled me about Brimah - Has his ineffectiveness and lack of development been due to poor work habits? Or has it been due to focus on the wrong things, poor Big coaching and an inability to process things he's taugh?

Unanimously, it appears to be the later and not the former. Everyone said Brimah did work hard. The reason his body did not develop (even a little) was due to Travis's stubbornness and academic theories about flexibility and conditioning - all of which minimized the importance of tradition strength training. Only after widespread criticism Brimah's Jr year, a new AD's more results orientated culture, and pressure from his chain of command did Travis final begrudgingly make some changes, that were coupled with better nutrition.

Meanwhile Coach Miller spent Brimah's individual workouts going over elaborate footwork and spin moves, which were based on a number of flawed premises:

1). Not enough time was spent on how to look for the pass, get your hands in position to catch the ball and finally see the ball into your hands. There was a denial that these basic fundamental things needed to be taugh.
2). There was whistling through the graveyard regarding how Brimah would end up in the perfect and precise offensive Ivy League type positions that Coach Miller would start his elaborate footwork drills. That was basically assumed. True, he was told by KO he had to hit and fight for post position - but he was never effectively taugh techniques to do so in individual workouts by an assistant coach.
3) The results were an assist to turnover ratio of 0.16, large blocks of time on the bench due to early fouls (105 fouls for season), many of which came from Brimah using his hands to fight for position. In the rare instances in which Brimah was able to get position and catch the ball in the post - often that was followed by a travel violation. He did develop an inside out pass his Senior year or at least made the attempt. However, for various mechanical reasons to technical to get into here, his passes were often high, inaccurate and rushed.
4). While the relatively complex moves Brimah was taught sometimes would work against relatively passive resistance in individual workouts - the opportunity would not happen often in games for reasons cited above and when they did they were too complex for him to pull off under pressure. While Coach Miller preached a fluid move that was basically one long phase, Chief believes Brimah should have broken the play down into stages: position, expecting and seeing the ball, visualizing it into his hands, firmly possessing the ball and finally starting his move based on the defense.

I could go on for many paragraphs for the less casual fans but I think this gives the flavor to most readers of what went wrong.
UCONN has a history of not successfully developing centers. Real good high school center tend not to come to UCONN because of this. Howie Dickenman was the last big man coach.

The only center that got better each year in the last 25 years is Okafor. Calhoun did not know what to do with Drummond .

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
TL/DR. Travis's and Miller's fault. Got it.

You're no casual fan. I think you're just bitter that there weren't more pages in this post. Then again, I can't blame ya.

Reaction Score
Brimah flat out wasn't a basketball player.

Yup, he was a shot blocker. It's like expecting a football kicker to tackle the kick returner. Sure, sometimes he can do it but more often he ends up getting embarrassed but he sure can kick!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's obvious that after four years Brimah never learned the basics of establishing offensive position to ready himself to receive a pass, was poor at receiving the entry pass, and was slow to develop moves once he got the ball.

And he's gone, so I'm moving forward.

I have a tough time blaming coaches for not coaching up Brimah, Nolan or Olander. Facey did appear to improve.

I don't have any problem calling out the coaches for the players they gave scholarships; coaches know they have limited contact hours and the lower the base the harder it is to get to an acceptable level of play.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score

You have an unhealthy obsession with Amidah.. Just be thankful for what he did for us over the last 4 years and move on..

(and please don't come back with "we would have been better without him out there". Even with his flaws, we would have been worse without him)

Reaction Score
Not every raw African big man turns into Olajuwon or to a far lesser extent, Dikembe.

I don't think anyone expected Olajuwon, but look at Thabeet as a foil.

As freshmen, one could argue that Brimah looked actually more coordinated than Thabeet did at that time. Thabeet in 3 years progressed much further than Brimah did in 4. So why was Thabeet able to learn and grow as a basketball player, while Brimah couldn't?

Did Thabeet have more basketball experience coming in? A higher basketball IQ (i.e. proclivity to learn)? Or better coaching?

pj

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone expected Olajuwon, but look at Thabeet as a foil.

As freshmen, one could argue that Brimah looked actually more coordinated than Thabeet did at that time. Thabeet in 3 years progressed much further than Brimah did in 4. So why was Thabeet able to learn and grow as a basketball player, while Brimah couldn't?

Did Thabeet have more basketball experience coming in? A higher basketball IQ (i.e. proclivity to learn)? Or better coaching?

4 extra inches didn't hurt. Made the stand around and swat, then reach for the rebound, strategy even more effective. Unfortunately it didn't work out in the NBA.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
UCONN has a history of not successfully developing centers. Real good high school center tend not to come to UCONN because of this. Howie Dickenman was the last big man coach.

The only center that got better each year in the last 25 years is Okafor. Calhoun did not know what to do with Drummond .

This is remarkably false

Reaction Score

Rod Sellers, Travis Knight, Jake Voskuhl, Emeka Okafor, Josh Boone, Hilton Armstrong Hasheem Thabeet, , AO (Frosh to Soph year)...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom