Chief's less than brief Brimah Vivisection | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief's less than brief Brimah Vivisection

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone expected Olajuwon, but look at Thabeet as a foil.

As freshmen, one could argue that Brimah looked actually more coordinated than Thabeet did at that time. Thabeet in 3 years progressed much further than Brimah did in 4. So why was Thabeet able to learn and grow as a basketball player, while Brimah couldn't?

Did Thabeet have more basketball experience coming in? A higher basketball IQ (i.e. proclivity to learn)? Or better coaching?

Thabeet was a top 70 recruit whose final choices came down to UConn & Louisville, Brimah was top 250 and was being courted by Florida International and LaSalle. Obviously rankings aren't everything but they were regarded at a completely different level coming in.

Reaction Score
He had zero understanding of basketball. He was tall so could dunk over shorter players and block some shots here and there despite attempting to block every one even though he was out of position defensively.

Well I think he's a basketball player no doubt, give the kid his due.

Reaction Score
I think Thabeet was top 40 on some services

Thabeet was a top 70 recruit whose final choices came down to UConn & Louisville, Brimah was top 200 and was being courted by Florida International and LaSalle. Obviously rankings aren't everything but they were regarded at a completely different level coming in.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm making up a spreadsheet to help me tell whether a post is sarcastic or not.
To quote the infamous @mauconnfan you lack the instinct to distinguish dumb. Either people have that ability or they don't. Don't worry. It's less a handicap than those who recognize dumb and still feel the need to respond to it. And that's less a handicap than those who recognize dumb, feel the need to respond to it, and believe that response moves the pendulum.

Reaction Score
I'm aware the original dumb post is completely serious. I just am not sure if the people agreeing with it are being sarcastic. I'd have to know each of ya'll's post history.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm aware the original dumb post is completely serious. I just am not sure if the people agreeing with it are being sarcastic. I'd have to know each of ya'll's post history.
I know you knew and my post was intended as sarcasm. Thought it fit in nicely with your spreadsheet.

C

Chief00

One of the big problems was our insistence on passing into the post when it clearly does not work. Brimah (and facey) do not have a good feel for the game (something you can't teach, and are unable to pass out of the post and so easy to strip on double teams or even from a guard digging down. Post ups have been proven to be inefficient in general in modern basketball...but I would love to know the percentage of turnovers and missed shots on post ups. It has to be a very high number. Brimah would have been much better served to become a master on the pick and roll against man to man and cutting and getting behind the defense against zone. Posting him up was not putting him in the best position to succeed. The modern big guy who can't shoot like DeAndre Jordan (yes, I know Brimah isn't that type of talent) and can't pass, has to be a lob finisher, a board crasher and overall more of an energy guy.

That indeed was our game plan designed by Miller. One of my contacts said Brimah scored the first UConn points of the game 15 times.

C

Chief00

Rod Sellers, Travis Knight, Jake Voskuhl, Emeka Okafor, Josh Boone, Hilton Armstrong Hasheem Thabeet, , AO (Frosh to Soph year)...
Also Charlie V and Uncle Cliffy.

C

Chief00

This thread title is ridiculous and a bit frightening .
Wasn't intended to be - I would gladly change it but can't. Autopsy is a word that can be applied in various contexts.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It's obvious that after four years Brimah never learned the basics of establishing offensive position to ready himself to receive a pass, was poor at receiving the entry pass, and was slow to develop moves once he got the ball.

And he's gone, so I'm moving forward.

I have a tough time blaming coaches for not coaching up Brimah, Nolan or Olander. Facey did appear to improve.

I don't have any problem calling out the coaches for the players they gave scholarships; coaches know they have limited contact hours and the lower the base the harder it is to get to an acceptable level of play.
Limited hours? In season, out of season or both? What about a contracted agent (say an offseason pro)?
Was DHam able to work with a pro because there was no pay? Is this the reason for inviting NBA present and former alumni to stay at the college in the summer for "pick up games" and the like? Just exactly what are the rules about limited contract hours and how do programs legitimately "get around" that within acceptable limits?

Glad you brought that term up.

Reaction Score
One of my contacts said Brimah scored the first UConn points of the game 15 times.

You really get that inside scoop, huh? One of my contacts told me UConn went 16-17 this year. Don't tell any casual fans though.

Reaction Score
I'm glad someone changed the thread name. The original one had me checking the news to see if something bad had happened.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
That indeed was our game plan designed by Miller. One of my contacts said Brimah scored the first UConn points of the game 15 times.
Tyler Olander scored the first UConn points in both 2011 Final Four games. I blame Glen Miller.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Out of how many games as a starting center? I don't find this remarkable.

Reaction Score
Forget about AB, he's gone, great guy, appreciate him. But the dirt has been shoveled, no reason for an autopsy. Any one watching games today? plenty of post players that would have looked good in blue and white.

Reaction Score
His lack of development has been severely overstated, mostly because people overrated the hell out of him as a freshman.

I thought he would have been more after his freshman season, but he's still nothing other than a success story as far as development goes and I say that as someone who has been critical of the staff.

Reaction Score
I need one question answered. After 4 years here can he do an Iron Cross?

Reaction Score
His lack of development has been severely overstated, mostly because people overrated the hell out of him as a freshman.

I thought he would have been more after his freshman season, but he's still nothing other than a success story as far as development goes and I say that as someone who has been critical of the staff.

I have a somewhat different take on this.

The staff deserves credit for identifying him as someone who, as a freshman, would outperform their recruiting ranking. I'd say many of us were pleasantly surprised by what a sub-200 recruit could give us right off the bat.

The staff did not, by any means, develop him. He was, at best, incrementally better in years 2-4 than he was in year 1.

If the staff wants to take credit for anything, it's identifying underrated talent, not developing that talent.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, everyone has their opinion, however calling this " a success story as far as development"'seems way over the top from my perspective.

C

Chief00

To the fans out there , I will do the best I can to respond to your questions as soon as I can.
Why review aspects of a disappointing season? That's how you can learn and avoid repeating the same mistakes. Are personnel changes necessary? Generally, in business if an organization fails to make target - one makes adjustment and staff changes.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
To the fans out there , I will do the best I can to respond to your questions as soon as I can.
Why review aspects of a disappointing season? That's how you can learn and avoid repeating the same mistakes. Are personnel changes necessary? Generally, in business if an organization fails to make target - one makes adjustment and staff changes.

Who's asking you questions?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom