Chief's less than brief Brimah Vivisection | The Boneyard

Chief's less than brief Brimah Vivisection

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, since the season ended I have been able to talk with candor with a few people. One thing that has always puzzled me about Brimah - Has his ineffectiveness and lack of development been due to poor work habits? Or has it been due to focus on the wrong things, poor Big coaching and an inability to process things he's taugh?

Unanimously, it appears to be the later and not the former. Everyone said Brimah did work hard. The reason his body did not develop (even a little) was due to Travis's stubbornness and academic theories about flexibility and conditioning - all of which minimized the importance of tradition strength training. Only after widespread criticism Brimah's Jr year, a new AD's more results orientated culture, and pressure from his chain of command did Travis final begrudgingly make some changes, that were coupled with better nutrition.

Meanwhile Coach Miller spent Brimah's individual workouts going over elaborate footwork and spin moves, which were based on a number of flawed premises:

1). Not enough time was spent on how to look for the pass, get your hands in position to catch the ball and finally see the ball into your hands. There was a denial that these basic fundamental things needed to be taugh.
2). There was whistling through the graveyard regarding how Brimah would end up in the perfect and precise offensive Ivy League type positions that Coach Miller would start his elaborate footwork drills. That was basically assumed. True, he was told by KO he had to hit and fight for post position - but he was never effectively taugh techniques to do so in individual workouts by an assistant coach.
3) The results were an assist to turnover ratio of 0.16, large blocks of time on the bench due to early fouls (105 fouls for season), many of which came from Brimah using his hands to fight for position. In the rare instances in which Brimah was able to get position and catch the ball in the post - often that was followed by a travel violation. He did develop an inside out pass his Senior year or at least made the attempt. However, for various mechanical reasons to technical to get into here, his passes were often high, inaccurate and rushed.
4). While the relatively complex moves Brimah was taught sometimes would work against relatively passive resistance in individual workouts - the opportunity would not happen often in games for reasons cited above and when they did they were too complex for him to pull off under pressure. While Coach Miller preached a fluid move that was basically one long phase, Chief believes Brimah should have broken the play down into stages: position, expecting and seeing the ball, visualizing it into his hands, firmly possessing the ball and finally starting his move based on the defense.

I could go on for many paragraphs for the less casual fans but I think this gives the flavor to most readers of what went wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Sorry Chief, I call BS.

Don't know who your "few people" are but they also need an education on the game so they can be more accurate with their rating system. You have to be really blind and stupid to not know his game was severely flawed due to his inability to pick up the game and the dynamics of it on each end of the court. You may have some arguments in your theories but 80-90% of his inability to grow for 4 years is on him not learning that game, not seeing plays develop, not being able to square and get a jump hook to the rim. Can't believe we would try to blame others for his lack of growth. It's laughable he was never taught techniques on boxing out LOL....geez give this up!

Reaction Score
Can we at least believe our Center position will be an improvement following Nolan/Brimah?

Sanctions aside, we have been a donut for 'too' many years, including Tyler before these two.

Reaction Score
I haven't visited the board much at all, since I'm out of the country and can't watch games live. I have to wait days usually to see them. Seeing this topic title gave me a scare for a second. Really thought I had missed something horrible.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, since the season ended I have been able to talk with candor with a few people. One thing that has always puzzled me about Brimah - Has his ineffectiveness and lack of development been due to poor work habits? Or has it been due to focus on the wrong things, poor Big coaching and an inability to process things he's taugh?

Unanimously, it appears to be the later and not the former. Everyone said Brimah did work hard. The reason his body did not develop (even a little) was due to Travis's stubbornness and academic theories about flexibility and conditioning - all of which minimized the importance of tradition strength training. Only after widespread criticism Brimah's Jr year, a new AD's more results orientated culture, and pressure from his chain of command did Travis final begrudgingly make some changes, that were coupled with better nutrition.

Meanwhile Coach Miller spent Brimah's individual workouts going over elaborate footwork and spin moves, which were based on a number of flawed premises:

1). Not enough time was spent on how to look for the pass, get your hands in position to catch the ball and finally see the ball into your hands. There was a denial that these basic fundamental things needed to be taugh.
2). There was whistling through the graveyard regarding how Brimah would end up in the perfect and precise offensive Ivy League type positions that Coach Miller would start his elaborate footwork drills. That was basically assumed. True, he was told by KO he had to hit and fight for post position - but he was never effectively taugh techniques to do so in individual workouts by an assistant coach.
3) The results were an assist to turnover ratio of 0.16, large blocks of time on the bench due to early fouls (105 fouls for season), many of which came from Brimah using his hands to fight for position. In the rare instances in which Brimah was able to get position and catch the ball in the post - often that was followed by a travel violation. He did develop an inside out pass his Senior year or at least made the attempt. However, for various mechanical reasons to technical to get into here, his passes were often high, inaccurate and rushed.
4). While the relatively complex moves Brimah was taught sometimes would work against relatively passive resistance in individual workouts - the opportunity would not happen often in games for reasons cited above and when they did they were too complex for him to pull off under pressure. While Coach Miller preached a fluid move that was basically one long phase, Chief believes Brimah should have broken the play down into stages: position, expecting and seeing the ball, visualizing it into his hands, firmly possessing the ball and finally starting his move based on the defense.

I could go on for many paragraphs for the less casual fans but I think this gives the flavor to most readers of what went wrong.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Quite frankly my reaction to all this is Amida was a soccer goalie all his life and plays the 5 position like a soccer goalie. He is used to knocking the ball as far away from the goal as he can. His skill set translates nicely into shot blocking, albeit sending shots into the third row of the upper deck. His skills, body, hands etc are built for basketball. We should think about that next time we look to bring a kid in

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score

Who cares he's gone now, next...

C

Chief00

Sorry Chief, I call BS.

Don't know who your "few people" are but they also need an education on the game so they can be more accurate with their rating system. You have to be really blind and stupid to not know his game was severely flawed due to his inability to pick up the game and the dynamics of it on each end of the court. You may have some arguments in your theories but 80-90% of his inability to grow for 4 years is on him not learning that game, not seeing plays develop, not being able to square and get a jump hook to the rim. Can't believe we would try to blame others for his lack of growth. It's laughable he was never taught techniques on boxing out LOL....geez give this up!

In the first paragraph, the"later" category included the inability to process things he was taugh. That's clearly on him.

Reaction Score
You definitely want to wait until after the season is over to have those candid conversations. No possible way to share that type of insight while the season is in full swing.

Reaction Score
Chief, can I ask how you "know" all this inside info? No BS, truth. Calling you out.

Reaction Score
One of the big problems was our insistence on passing into the post when it clearly does not work. Brimah (and facey) do not have a good feel for the game (something you can't teach, and are unable to pass out of the post and so easy to strip on double teams or even from a guard digging down. Post ups have been proven to be inefficient in general in modern basketball...but I would love to know the percentage of turnovers and missed shots on post ups. It has to be a very high number. Brimah would have been much better served to become a master on the pick and roll against man to man and cutting and getting behind the defense against zone. Posting him up was not putting him in the best position to succeed. The modern big guy who can't shoot like DeAndre Jordan (yes, I know Brimah isn't that type of talent) and can't pass, has to be a lob finisher, a board crasher and overall more of an energy guy.

Reaction Score
In the first paragraph, the"later" category included the inability to process things he was taugh. That's clearly on him.

Fact is if he can't process he can't learn though right so why go on and on about Miller? It makes no sense.

And the trainer did a fine job with him, he was much bigger on top than he was when he arrived in Storrs. He had thin legs, never going to get bigger but didn't mean they weren't strong enough to keep them on the floor, box people out and fight in the lane. Have you looked at Bonzie Colsons legs? My God I wonder how he stands on them never mind run and rebound the crap out of the ball.

The kid is done playing here, we should try to stop worrying about what happened here and move on in hope of some kids with higher basketball IQ's stepping in. He never learned enough about the game because he just couldn't, not his fault. Instead he worked hard,did the best he could with what he had and for that I am grateful for him and his 4 years.

NEXT

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is almost certainly on both the player and staff. My biggest criticism of Brimah is that he avoids contact. Rather than dunk, and draw a body foul, he does some contortionist move and clanks a missed layup from a difficult angle.

Rule 1 needs to be, if you can get to the rim as a big, think dunk. Adrien was the last player we had with that mindset. It needs to be emphasized.

Anyway, on to 2017 and better things.

Reaction Score
It just keeps with this dudes narrative that its all on Miller and the strength coach why Brimah didn't develop. Everybody wants to know why are bigs never got better or developed. How about our bigs in the Ollie era were Olander, Nolan and Brimah. Facey did get better, unfortunetly we got Shaun Miller last year so couldn't see it out of him. Enoch did improve from Freshman year and I expect he will improve each year.

Reaction Score
Sorry Chief, I call BS.

Mau, you're just a "casual" fan so you cannot appreciate Chief's postmortem analysis here... Next time, you'll get it.

Reaction Score
I feel like we can reduce Brimah's "plateauing" to one simple concept; instincts. Brimah absolutely improved from Freshmen to Soph year. He was able to finish shots, he added an adequate J, and his free-throw shooting became solid to excellent for a big man. But there were clear issues. He struggled rebounding. He had a hard time grasping defensive concepts/rotations and thus committed a large number of fouls. He was asked to be a high screener yet never understood the subtlety of rolling, selling the screen, fading, etc. thus bogging down our offense.

Instinctually, he was always at least one or two steps behind. This is why he would be slow to react off the glass; ever notice how often he never even left his feet? This is why when he got the ball in the post quite often it looked like it was practicing a dance move with how robotic he proceeded. You cannot teach basketball instinct. You can teach skills and fundamentals (don't get me wrong, AB lacked here, too) but if you do not have that natural understanding of the flow of the game, you are always going to be behind and will not be able to adequately develop.

We can try to "blame" the player, coaching staff, or in some fool's universe, the training staff, but the simple fact is that Amida plateaued long ago and he simply is what he is. With more and more experience, he may become a bit more polished, but it was not going to happen in four years considering his lack of experience and natural bball IQ. That was pretty apparent by the end of his soph year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

TL/DR. Travis's and Miller's fault. Got it.

Reaction Score
Naturally thin players like Brimah don't need to get big. They do need to get strong. His hands were especially weak and only his final season did he seem to have stronger hands. But even then he had problems securing the ball. That would seem to a skill taught to soccer goalies as they have to catch the ball. Based on those things I tend to agree with Chief's assessment that we didn't spend enough time on Brimah's hands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom