Chief's Briefs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How do you reach that conclusion? I said Killings showed the statistic to KO then KO made the adjustment.

It was this statement that prompted my comment:

We miss the macho man on man where you follow your guy no matter where he goes. In all due respect - that's defense! Again I believe Miller's focus is wrong.

Reaction Score
Brimah generally tries to send his blocks into low orbit, but he actually blocked and collected one yesterday during the mini-run that got the deficit down to five.

But his defense was not particularly great - SMU had a field day around the rim in the second half.

I don't know about that. Scrolling through the play by play, it looks like SMU shot 8 of 15 on shots inside the paint in the second half. At least a couple of those were on Enoch, who remains to be lost defensively to the extent that opposing coaches make it a point to call their favorite pet play whenever he checks in (see the weak side alley-oop to Ojeleye).

SMU also hit just one three in the second half. When you sell out to stop the three, you're going to give some up at the rim. That SMU shot ~50% at the rim in the second half is hardly an indictment on Brimah, especially when I don't think he committed any fouls in that frame.

Reaction Score
At least the level of competitive intensity is up considerably. We let it get away at the end, but they stayed in the game. That's a marked improvement over where they were in early January.

My humble observations:

1. Purvis is deadly when he is set up properly. He is terrible at point. He goes into force the offense mode naturally.

2. Brimah is a lost cause and all we can get out him at this point is shot blocking capability. No hands, no floor awareness and limited board presence given his size.

3. Facey is coming along nicely. He still is inconsistent but you can see has the "it" to be a major impact player.

4. We need a 2 guard that can step up and play 1.

5. Still need work on 3 defense. Slow to step out and defend.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Young fellow - Bill Russell 60 years ago put that into practice! At a minimum blocking most shots out of bounds prevents the possibility of that happening.

But you keep perpetuating this as some major issue that's indicative of his IQ and our staff's coaching ability ...

The bottom line is, sometimes a player can TRY to direct a block in play, but BILL RUSSELL is one of the great defenders of all time.

It's not exactly EASY to be an elite college shot blocker and still have the presence to block shots into play. Most blocks are quick reactions. If the player is good enough to consistently (which is essentially what you're asking of him) block shots into our guards' hands to start a fast break, that player is going to be one of the better shot blockers in college history.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But you keep perpetuating this as some major issue that's indicative of his IQ and our staff's coaching ability ...

The bottom line is, sometimes a player can TRY to direct a block in play, but BILL RUSSELL is one of the great defenders of all time.

I was thinking the same thing. Bill Russell. Yeah, that's a reasonable barometer.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is, at least half the blocked shots that stay in play usually land right in the hands of a wide open opposing player, and then end up being an easy two for them.

Reaction Score
How do you reach that conclusion? I said Killings showed the statistic to KO then KO made the adjustment.
From YOU!!! You are the one that has been spouting off for weeks about Miller's faulty defenses. You are precious Chief.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is, at least half the blocked shots that stay in play usually land right in the hands of a wide open opposing player, and then end up being an easy two for them.

Blocks in play at least have a chance of being recovered by the defense.

Blocks out of play go back to the offensive team 100% of the time. And, yesterday, several of those blocks were converted into points on that same possession (including at least one 3).

So, yes, those blocks out of bounds primarily serve to enhance one's highlight reel, but don't do much to help the team.

C

Chief00

I was thinking the same thing. Bill Russell. Yeah, that's a reasonable barometer.
Learn from the best - Mr. Russell. Brimah intentionally blocks shots out of bounds - it looks great to the Casual Fan - but it's not as effective as blocking it to a teammate to start the break. Flashy for the Casual Fan or effective so your team will win? Take your pick!

C

Chief00

It was this statement that prompted my comment:

We miss the macho man on man where you follow your guy no matter where he goes. In all due respect - that's defense! Again I believe Miller's focus is wrong.

Miller has been the one pushing the gimmick zones this season - my point was KO made the adjustment on Milton based on input from Killings not Miller.
Just go back one game to Houston when Miller was bragging at halftime about how effective his gimmick zones were; of course they got buried in the second half.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Chief's a Celtics fan, not a UConn fan - Bill Russell is quite possibly his only frame of reference.

Reaction Score
Blocks in play at least have a chance of being recovered by the defense.

Blocks out of play go back to the offensive team 100% of the time. And, yesterday, several of those blocks were converted into points on that same possession (including at least one 3).

So, yes, those blocks out of bounds primarily serve to enhance one's highlight reel, but don't do much to help the team.

You can defend an inbounds. When the block goes right to the offense, the defenders are out of position and it often leads to an easy bucket.

C

Chief00

Chief's a Celtics fan, not a UConn fan - Bill Russell is quite possibly his only frame of reference.

UConn season tickets for 27 years. If you don't appreciate Bill Russell you don't appreciate basketball; the way it should be played.

C

Chief00

You can defend an inbounds. When the block goes right to the offense, the defenders are out of position and it often leads to an easy bucket.
If you are truly a good shot blocker it's not random.

Reaction Score
Honestly, who cares. For every block he gets he gives up multiple offensive rebounds and put backs.

SE needs a huge offseason to be ready for the 25+ minutes/game next year.

There are many reasons to beat up on AB but shot blocking shouldn't be one. We will miss that ability next year.

Reaction Score
Miller has been the one pushing the gimmick zones this season - my point was KO made the adjustment on Milton based on input from Killings not Miller.
Just go back one game to Houston when Miller was bragging at halftime about how effective his gimmick zones were; of course they got buried in the second half.

Wrong on a couple of counts here. First, a blocked shot that goes out of bounds isn't ideal but isn't completely useless. It makes the offense start from the top in running their sets with a limited shot clock, makes anyone driving to the rim think twice, makes an offense completely readjust if it happens multiple times, etc. Would it be great if every single time he blocked the ball into a Huskies' hands? Sure. But look no further than Sampson's comments the other night on their emphasis of taking away his shot blocking ability as a key to beating our defense to see the effect it has on opposing game plans. I'm as big a critic as the next nut on this site about Brimah, but his shot blocking is one thing that, even with the frustrations I have with him stupidly leaving his man sometimes, is still a great part of our D.

Also, gimmicky zones? I don't know if Miller stole your lunch money in high school, but the continued attacks on him are getting pathetic. When we go zone, which is rarely, it's usually a consequence of the fact that we have 7 scholarship players right now, the kids are exhausted, and we're trying to maximize Brimah's effectiveness while limiting the other team's perimeter shooting.

Reaction Score
Wrong on a couple of counts here. First, a blocked shot that goes out of bounds isn't ideal but isn't completely useless. It makes the offense start from the top in running their sets with a limited shot clock, makes anyone driving to the rim think twice, makes an offense completely readjust if it happens multiple times, etc. Would it be great if every single time he blocked the ball into a Huskies' hands? Sure. But look no further than Sampson's comments the other night on their emphasis of taking away his shot blocking ability as a key to beating our defense to see the effect it has on opposing game plans. I'm as big a critic as the next nut on this site about Brimah, but his shot blocking is one thing that, even with the frustrations I have with him stupidly leaving his man sometimes, is still a great part of our D.

Also, gimmicky zones? I don't know if Miller stole your lunch money in high school, but the continued attacks on him are getting pathetic. When we go zone, which is rarely, it's usually a consequence of the fact that we have 7 scholarship players right now, the kids are exhausted, and we're trying to maximize Brimah's effectiveness while limiting the other team's perimeter shooting.
But Chief SAW coach Killings point something out on the stat sheet to Ollie, so CLEARLY, that is what led to a change in the defense. I mean that sounds plausible, right? Because when it comes to UConn hoops, Chief is the be all/know all and knows what is in the minds of the coaches and players. We are so lucky to have him to interpret all of this for us, why does everyone not see that?

PS: Bunky rules!

Reaction Score
I'm 37 years old and for 37 years I've heard experts and people like Chief talk about blocking shots like Bill Russell. Has anyone EVER done it? I'm being serious. I think most great shotblockers still send more than their fair share out of bounds. I was watching a replay of UConn/'Bama when we blitzed them to get to the final four. Emeka had 5 blocks alone in the first half and two were sent out of bounds. The other 3 were ridiculous point of attack blocks, different from the types Amida gets. When Emeka had air under the ball to block it, he sent it out of bounds, too. I've criticized Amida for four years and I'm frustrated that he launches shots into orbit too, but I can't fault him for blocking shots. That's his one great plus.

Reaction Score
Young fellow - Bill Russell 60 years ago put that into practice! At a minimum blocking most shots out of bounds prevents the possibility of that happening.
And that's why he is in the HOF. While we're at it, why doesn't he shoot hooks like Kareem, rebound like Moses Malone and pass like Walton. Let's be happy he can block the shots, which you are sorely gonna miss next year, without the expectation that he's going to turn the block into a pass. For that matter, name me one center we have played this year that does this, other than by accident?

C

Chief00

I'm 37 years old and for 37 years I've heard experts and people like Chief talk about blocking shots like Bill Russell. Has anyone EVER done it? I'm being serious. I think most great shotblockers still send more than their fair share out of bounds. I was watching a replay of UConn/'Bama when we blitzed them to get to the final four. Emeka had 5 blocks alone in the first half and two were sent out of bounds. The other 3 were ridiculous point of attack blocks, different from the types Amida gets. When Emeka had air under the ball to block it, he sent it out of bounds, too. I've criticized Amida for four years and I'm frustrated that he launches shots into orbit too, but I can't fault him for blocking shots. That's his one great plus.

Bill Walton and Nate Thurmond to name a couple. McHale and Chief00 to name a couple more. David Robinson was another.

C

Chief00

And that's why he is in the HOF. While we're at it, why doesn't he shoot hooks like Kareem, rebound like Moses Malone and pass like Walton. Let's be happy he can block the shots, which you are sorely gonna miss next year, without the expectation that he's going to turn the block into a pass. For that matter, name me one center we have played this year that does this, other than by accident?

The problem is he doesn't even attempt to do anything other than block it as hard as he can out of bounds. It shows a lack of discipline or focus on winning as opposed to pleasing the casual fans who are out in force today on this thread.

C

Chief00

There are many reasons to beat up on AB but shot blocking shouldn't be one. We will miss that ability next year.
Some truth here - but it's the lack of discipline that drives me to criticize. I also agree with the poster a bigger problem is giving up offensive rebounds and layups when he goes to block a shot.

Reaction Score
The problem is he doesn't even attempt to do anything other than block it as hard as he can out of bounds. It shows a lack of discipline or focus on winning as opposed to pleasing the casual fans who are out in force today on this thread.
And now you can tell who is a casual fan and who is not....my god, how DO you do it?? You are just so awesome!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom