Chief's Briefs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Reaction Score
Shh. It's more fun to play along and not tell Chief that his observations are about as "casual fan" as it gets.
Agreed. Nothing was as great though as his revelation of Killings pointing to a piece of paper and Ollie then changing the D that stopped Milton in the 2nd half on Saturday. One of my favorite posts of all time. Only a true basketball savant could have noticed AND interpreted such coaching genius. I am so unworthy.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Well in fairness Robinson, Parish and Thurmond, according to his precise observational skills, also directed shot blocks into fast breaks ...

So there's a few more examples of the obvious lack of coaching.

C

Chief00

And now you can tell who is a casual fan and who is not....my god, how DO you do it?? You are just so awesome!!
Actually it's easy - some people know how games are won and others don't have a clue.

C

Chief00

Agreed. Nothing was as great though as his revelation of Killings pointing to a piece of paper and Ollie then changing the D that stopped Milton in the 2nd half on Saturday. One of my favorite posts of all time. Only a true basketball savant could have noticed AND interpreted such coaching genius. I am so unworthy.
You are not paying attention - it was toward the end of the first half when Milton dropped 15. KO stood up and adjusted the defense the next possession down his end.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Blocks in play at least have a chance of being recovered by the defense.

Blocks out of play go back to the offensive team 100% of the time. And, yesterday, several of those blocks were converted into points on that same possession (including at least one 3).

So, yes, those blocks out of bounds primarily serve to enhance one's highlight reel, but don't do much to help the team.

You mean except for the fact they may stop a ball from entering the hoop and thus scoring an additional 2 points for the opposition on the scoreboard tally thing?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
But Chief SAW coach Killings point something out on the stat sheet to Ollie, so CLEARLY, that is what led to a change in the defense. I mean that sounds plausible, right? Because when it comes to UConn hoops, Chief is the be all/know all and knows what is in the minds of the coaches and players. We are so lucky to have him to interpret all of this for us, why does everyone not see that?

PS: Bunky rules!

Unless any of us saw exactly what was on that sheet of paper its merely speculation
It might have been a menu of where they were going to eat after the game

Reaction Score
You mean except for the fact they may stop a ball from entering the hoop and thus scoring an additional 2 points for the opposition on the scoreboard tally thing?

The ball may not be going in anyway. What's the shooting percentage on the ball that Brimah blocks out of bounds, if he hadn't blocked it?

Take 2*(that percentage %), and compare it to the points per possession that the opponent gets on their free possession from out of bounds. That's the value of the out-of-bounds block.

It may be positive, but it's not positive enough to outweigh the points that he gives up by swatting for balls he has no chance on, abandoning rebounding position, and surrendering a gimme putback 2.

And it's certainly not positive enough to outweigh the value of blocking the ball in bounds, which has a near-equal chance of being recovered by the offense or the defense.

H

huskymagic

We talkin' bout blocking shots outbound! What we talking' about.

Whether Amida blocks shots inbound or out has no impact on how many wins or losses we have or have gotten. Only a casual fan thinks that's the problem with Ollie's teams. Maybe the team should be prepared for inbound plays by opposing teams or someone should have the sense or preparation to rotate to Amida's man when he goes for a block on someone. It's commonsense basketball that we have been lacking; nothing to do with whether Amida keeps his blocks inbound or not.

PS: Let's use some collective intelligence here and remember that Napier and Ollie won a title with Phil Nolan, DeAndre(stretch 4),Tyler Olander, and freshman Amida as his big men. Senior Amida, Senior Kentan, and Durham/Enoch is a better big man crew than what we had in 2014. The reason we were good was our perimeter crew was lights out both defensively and offensively(Bazz, Boat, Giff, and Daniels when he went out there). Blame the guards for this team's ineptitude as that's where we struggle on offense and defense.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Bill Walton and Nate Thurmond to name a couple. McHale and Chief00 to name a couple more. David Robinson was another.

You are including YOURSELF on the list of all time great player?

Thats peak chief right there.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You are including YOURSELF on the list of all time great player?

Thats peak chief right there.

Hey, Chief was a great player for the Cs. We should feel honored to be blessed with the wisdom he imparts between puffs of his peace pipe.

Reaction Score
Unless any of us saw exactly what was on that sheet of paper its merely speculation
It might have been a menu of where they were going to eat after the game
Oh, it's not speculation. Chief knows exactly what it was, what it meant, and how it was reacted to. Something us casual fans will never be able to figure out. Maybe a Chief for Glen Miller trade is in good order? Chief can all at once save our season and our recruiting, and Coach Miller can enlighten the Boneyard with all of his experiences. I say let's do it!! All we need is Bunky to act as agent for this trade to get done.

C

Chief00

We talkin' bout blocking shots outbound! What we talking' about.

Whether Amida blocks shots inbound or out has no impact on how many wins or losses we have or have gotten. Only a casual fan thinks that's the problem with Ollie's teams. Maybe the team should be prepared for inbound plays by opposing teams or someone should have the sense or preparation to rotate to Amida's man when he goes for a block on someone. It's commonsense basketball that we have been lacking; nothing to do with whether Amida keeps his blocks inbound or not.

PS: Let's use some collective intelligence here and remember that Napier and Ollie won a title with Phil Nolan, DeAndre(stretch 4),Tyler Olander, and freshman Amida as his big men. Senior Amida, Senior Kentan, and Durham/Enoch is a better big man crew than what we had in 2014. The reason we were good was our perimeter crew was lights out both defensively and offensively(Bazz, Boat, Giff, and Daniels when he went out there). Blame the guards for this team's ineptitude as that's where we struggle on offense and defense.

Quite frankly, little mistakes due to lack of discipline or sloppiness, lose games!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The moment this forum uses collective intelligence it will be a first.

Reaction Score
I'm certainly not going to do this, but it would be interesting to see the number of shots Brimah blocks out of bounds versus those he keeps in play. I would suspect that this yet another peccadillo being blown wildly out of proportion by the Boneyard. His blocks stay in bounds and lead to run-outs all the time.

C

Chief00

I'm certainly not going to do this, but it would be interesting to see the number of shots Brimah blocks out of bounds versus those he keeps in play. I would suspect that this yet another peccadillo being blown wildly out of proportion by the Boneyard. His blocks stay in bounds and lead to run-outs all the time.
Who would have the statistics on this?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Young fellow - Bill Russell 60 years ago put that into practice! At a minimum blocking most shots out of bounds prevents the possibility of that happening.

This "young fellow" is 62 and is well aware of what Bill Russell did. But the thing about Bill Russell is that he is, well, Bill Russell. And even Bill knew he could not save all of them and a loose ball under an opponent's basket is a bad idea.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
All I know is Russell never had a half where he sent two blocks out of bounds. Nor did any of the other greats. They made 100% of their blocks passes.

It is interesting to look at who supports Chief in this. It is like a remake of The Usual Suspects.

C

Chief00

All I know is Russell never had a half where he sent two blocks out of bounds. Nor did any of the other greats. They made 100% of their blocks passes.

It is interesting to look at who supports Chief in this. It is like a remake of The Usual Suspects.

No one said Russell kept every block inbounds - but that was consistently part of his thought process and intent. He would not intentionally send the ball into the stands for a chance to get on a highlight clip that the casual fan would love but his coach and teammates knew was not his best effort. I hope this helps.

C

Chief00

We all thought you would since you made the original point. Plus since you're so plugged in to the team. Maybe Bunky does??
LOL - Bunkey keeping stats - while checking out the bitches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom