Chief's Briefs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

C

Chief00

The final Doris UConn vs Temple telecast grade is in - Doris gets a D-.

This grade is based on performance and I don't apply a political correctness curve.

Both her preparation and game day performance were lacking.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I would rather listen to Doris Burke over Dickie V, Fran F, Welsh, the RAT and a whole bunch of others
She knows basketball but isn't the best when doing play by play
It was tough for her and everyone today - ESPN treated it like a Selection Sunday show with a basketball game in the background

I learned as much from her today as I do by reading some people's game briefs (not saying who)
Why was Lunardi even in the building? According to him, neither team playing was even on the bubble and, as he stated as if it were some sort of insight, could only make the Big Dance by winning the conference tournament or pulling a series of upsets.

Burke doesn't do play-by-play. She does color. That was Dave O'Brien yesterday, who is generally (considered) very good.

pj

Reaction Score
Why was Lunardi even in the building? According to him, neither team playing was even on the bubble and, as he stated as if it were some sort of insight, could only make the Big Dance by winning the conference tournament or pulling a series of upsets.

Lunardi lives in Philly, it was a shorter drive to the building than to a TV studio and less work for ESPN. Joe Lunardi - Wikipedia

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The final Doris UConn vs Temple telecast grade is in - Doris gets a D-.

This grade is based on performance and I don't apply a political correctness curve.

Both her preparation and game day performance were lacking.
The two of you should go into a ring and we can title it Chief's Boxers!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Doris spoke knowledgeably about the amazing impact of Calhoun (and Geno) on the perception of the state of its basketball teams, remarking on the transformation of the campus. That showed greater awareness of the history of the program/university than one typically hears about. Where is "Hot Like Fire" Simpkins? He was the best.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think this is true. Earlier in the season I listened to her call a UConn Women's game and she said something to the extent of "The UConn women are very good free-throw shooters. The men's team are excellent at the line as well." That made it pretty clear to me that she hasn't watched us play much since DHam, Gibbs & co led us to the AAC tourney title last year.

That said, I love Doris Burke. I would love for her and Dave O'Brien to call more of our games. Lunardi can F off though..
It was the SC game. Really threw me for a loop

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Doris spoke knowledgeably about the amazing impact of Calhoun (and Geno) on the perception of the state of its basketball teams, remarking on the transformation of the campus. That showed greater awareness of the history of the program/university than one typically hears about. Where is "Hot Like Fire" Simpkins? He was the best.
Mmm, not so much. The notion that there was nothing at Storrs before Geno arrived is a Geno narrative. It certainly has some truth to it, the campus is much improved since 1985, but it's not like we were Louisville. It is true that the WBB team had only one winning season and no one paid much attention to it, but the men's team had a rabid following and history of regional success. I do think that '95 team's success helped pave the way for UConn 2000, but Doris is just repeating Geno's oft stated narrative that all good from UConn flows from him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom