Chief's Briefs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

C

Chief00

How does Chief's Briefs degrade into a Doris Burke thread because I mentioned her name in passing once.

I have now implemented a self imposed Doris Burke ban from all future Chief's Briefs.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with one defensive stop by Enoch. But I think it was more me being surprised he could move his feet enough to stay in front of any drive to the hoop. It was off a screen, he shuffled to stay in front from foul line to base line, believe it ended with temple losing the ball out of bounds. Great footwork on that play, but still - that's one play out of 1.5 seasons. Maybe start to see it more often?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Doris Burke is great.

I haven't bothered to read the rest of the responses, because I'm quite sure most have responded and we are all perpetuating this nonsense... but obviously these are purposeful statements meant to rile everyone up.

The giveaway was "but learn nothing from her" because (a) chief pretends to be some basketball savant and (b) she clearly talks about stuff you'd learn from, more so than most.

Just annoying at this point, but yes, I'm contributing to the Chief legend of insanity by even bothering.

Reaction Score
Since this quickly became a bash on Doris thread, I have one for you:

With 36 sec left, did she actually say KO should hold onto his timeouts better?? She definitely stated that since he was used to the NBA game, he uses timeouts more often, since they have more to burn in the league. I don't care which game your coaching - down 1 with 36 ticks left, 2 timeouts in hand, and no fast break possible, you use the timeout.

Thanks for the tip Doris, but KO had this one handled.

Reaction Score
How does Chief's Briefs degrade into a Doris Burke thread because I mentioned her name in passing once.

I have now implemented a self imposed Doris Burke ban from all future Chief's Briefs.
Maybe because nobody cared about the rest of your brief.:)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Kara Lawson is considerably better. She's my favorite commentator, period.

Doris used to be a lot better. I'm not sure why she regressed, but it seems an ESPN thing. And it's not like Doris is any worse than a huge majority of the male commentators. (Including the one she was with.)

Doris has fallen in love with the sound of her own voice. She's entering "Dollar" Bill Walton territory for insufferability.

Reaction Score
Doris is typically long winded, yet solid. But she clearly hasn't studied up on this team. I have noticed this with other announcers as well. Annoying but I can't necessarily blame them as we have been off the radar. I would appreciate just a little more studying. Hell, give me more Welch. At least he knows the team and the animosity is gone post JC.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

You seem not to have considered that the thread may have upgraded rather than degraded, let alone whether it's your call to make either way.

C

Chief00

I haven't bothered to read the rest of the responses, because I'm quite sure most have responded and we are all perpetuating this nonsense... but obviously these are purposeful statements meant to rile everyone up.

The giveaway was "but learn nothing from her" because (a) chief pretends to be some basketball savant and (b) she clearly talks about stuff you'd learn from, more so than most.

Just annoying at this point, but yes, I'm contributing to the Chief legend of insanity by even bothering.

So Mr French, the question remains - what did you learn from Doris today?

Reaction Score
Doris is typically long winded, yet solid. But she clearly hasn't studied up on this team. I have noticed this with other announcers as well. Annoying but I can't necessarily blame them as we have been off the radar. I would appreciate just a little more studying. Hell, give me more Welch. At least he knows the team and the animosity is gone post JC.

I think this is true. Earlier in the season I listened to her call a UConn Women's game and she said something to the extent of "The UConn women are very good free-throw shooters. The men's team are excellent at the line as well." That made it pretty clear to me that she hasn't watched us play much since DHam, Gibbs & co led us to the AAC tourney title last year.

That said, I love Doris Burke. I would love for her and Dave O'Brien to call more of our games. Lunardi can F off though..

C

Chief00

On target observations.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I do think that now that we have worked our way to becoming competitive, it's time to breakdown the game itself more rather than the telecast - which I spent one line on - but it's the majority of the replies.
Before, quite frankly, it was kind of a waste of time, since all areas of the game were in need - fixing this or that - did not seem to make much difference. But, to the players and coaches credit we can now zero in on things that now may be the difference between a win or a loss.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Since this quickly became a bash on Doris thread, I have one for you:

With 36 sec left, did she actually say KO should hold onto his timeouts better?? She definitely stated that since he was used to the NBA game, he uses timeouts more often, since they have more to burn in the league. I don't care which game your coaching - down 1 with 36 ticks left, 2 timeouts in hand, and no fast break possible, you use the timeout.

Thanks for the tip Doris, but KO had this one handled.

I remember that discussion, and maybe I'm just "defending" her but it seemed to me more a general statement, not a critique of him calling that TO.

I don't think she had any issue w that TO.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was impressed with one defensive stop by Enoch. But I think it was more me being surprised he could move his feet enough to stay in front of any drive to the hoop. It was off a screen, he shuffled to stay in front from foul line to base line, believe it ended with temple losing the ball out of bounds. Great footwork on that play, but still - that's one play out of 1.5 seasons. Maybe start to see it more often?
This can literally be called baby steps.

Reaction Score
I mean at one point the male announcer said CV was a "Great" ball handler. I'm captain of the CV fan club but that just wasn't a true assessment. They had no knowledge of our personel

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom