Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yeah, ok. UConn played a crap game and was tied at 71 with a minute to go on a hostile floor.
they shoved a book at me in middle school and said that i have to read it and write a report. sumthin aboot a dwarf, a magical kingdom, and a whole lot of other crapola. couldn't make it past a few chapters. went on line, and just bought a report. i did read that one, in case they asked me questions.
i do well recall telling that teach 'the hippy 60s were like a million years ago, what's the point of this book? i find that the subject matter of it has nothing to do with ...... anything?'
later, some smart people cashed in by making it into a bunch of movies.
i sleep at night, not in the theater, so forget that. but it was a thing, and i got stuck watching part of one at a friend's house.
the only enlightenment i received from any of all that was
i gotta get into selling something retail.

Reaction Score
37 3-pt and 30 2-pt shots? 16 TOs!

Only 7 mins and 4 Pts for DC?

Newton: 4 pts and 4 PF in 32 mins? But 7 Rebs and 7 Asts.

Why not try AS & DC together?

SMH
Clingan was 2-3. Jackson was very efficient with his passing, 8 assists and 1 turnover. He has made such great progress in this area.

Reaction Score
Need to start dribble driving with a purpose…lots of times players seem timid/get themselves in bad positions not being decisive around/close to the rim
Totally agree. I get the fouls discrepancy and the high percentage of 3’s etc, but IMO the 16 turnovers killed us. We had two straight chances to take the lead late and put pressure on them and turned it over. Then the tech and the rest is history. We need to tighten this up quickly if we want to be elite.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and now, to get to another seemingly current hot topic -tris.
tris is a fine, potentially excellent baller. even in this game, i don't have much to complain about his, or mostly any of the players, effort and results. we can't talk aboot donno becuz he did not play. ask danny why, idk.
danny has been sucking the real tris from him for a long while, starting in october with his 'who is our point guard?' baloney back then. i remember, do sum of youse?
now, tris is playing confused, unsure of what he is allowed to do.
danny rolled out typo, year after year, even tho he stunk. period.
danny wouldn't allow jalen to jack 3's, even tho now he nails them for his new team at close to 50%.

free tris, and the rest will follow, and by 'rest' i mean including donno.
showtime.

Reaction Score
Reading the line “Miller expected to win this game” was like a gut punch- he truly did! He knew how to exploit UConn, but Hurley didn’t know how to exploit Xavier.

Reaction Score
Looked to me like he was expecting to get the touch foul calls but the refs swallowed the whistles. Chief makes a good point
It was very uneven and it should not be a secret to anyone what’s going on. Regardless, of what one may think of Danny’s antics. This isn’t right. The refs need to be more professional. Shame on the Big East for allowing this.

Reaction Score
Looked to me like he was expecting to get the touch foul calls but the refs swallowed the whistles. Chief makes a good point
Don't disagree.. Touch fouls go to home team.. "Visitors" have to get hammered for the call..

My complaint/observation.. Were the calls consistent??.. Meaning-- X got every call that was a judgment call.. UConn had to really get hammered on an obvious call before the whistle was blown.. "House whistle" favors the home team..

Would UConn performing better/making shots they normally make-- have changed the outcome without the refs?? Of course.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I disagree about Joey’s minutes. His minutes should be completely matchup dependent. Only play him vs stationary perimeter pieces(like Akok lol) or multiple undersized guard situations. If a team is bringing big guards off the bench he becomes unplayable. He gets exploited in PnR and on switches.

Next go around we will put a fresh Samson Johnson on ZF and he won’t get a clean look.

Reaction Score
It was the flops that pi$$ed me off. They called the first one, then let the next 5 go. I guess you have to give Miller and Xavier credit for knowing that the refs aren't going to call a 2nd one, especially at home. So, they took clear advantage. Perhaps the Huskies should take a 20 minute coaching/practice session on flopping for their next home game.
Had a drill using a wrestling matt to fall on and having the man with ball dribble into the defender who has his foot on the base line. No body wants to play offense with someone who can draw the charge.

Reaction Score
Anyone who feels we don’t have an issue of how we are perceived by Big East officials - how much evidence do you need? The touch fouls called on us and not on them. 19 personal fouls vs 8. 25 ft attempts to 9. Our second foul shot of the game mid way through the second half. The late T on Hurley. All that in an other wise even game. Wake up, it is an issue!

Not exploring the Double Big this season hurt this game, probably lost the game today. Karaban tried hard but defensively got exploited. Meanwhile, Clingan who played very good, spent too much time on the bench. Clingan was one of the few game changer type players today and spent most of the game on the bench. No excuse for that.

The High Hedge results were brutal today. What a well coach team like Xavier exploits is a pass or two away from the hedge action and the mismatch that has its origins during the hedging action.

I have been focusing on these 3 above factors and people say why, we won anyways. Now you know why.

Our ball movement was. Good with 15 first half assists. Would like to see Joey C get more time but with Diarra playing so well setting uptempo that’s difficult.

Early in the second half, that was a Larry Bird move by Andre, I am not behind the line, so he calmly dribbles behind the line and lets it fly with a swish.
Agree with you about the official bias but sometimes you have to beat 7 men. Suck it up and do it.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Part of the problem may be that Jackson and Newton are similar players in what they bring to the offense. Defensively no, but offensively. Both are questionable from 3. Both look to pass more than shoot, and in doing so their passes can be predictable. Neither seems to reliably finish at the rim. This is solvable, but it’ll take some creativity by Hurley & his brain trust to do it.

Reaction Score
I do think we play better with Donovan out there - he can change a game. Karaban is a good player but can be physically overwhelmed in certain matchups until he gets stronger. Sanogo statistically is one of our best three ball guys % wise on our team - so where’s the give up. Time to play them together starting NOW.
I always look forward to your analysis, I think you are usually on point about most things, but I just don't get the idea of playing AS/DC at the same time. In some matchups, maybe I could see the benefit defensively (including rebounding) of them together, although you take some risk of both picking up fouls. I just don't think it would work very well offensively, at least not unless and until AS is able to pass out once he's started to make his move, especially when double teamed. Offensively, AS should have an advantage posting up against most 4's, but Clingan at the 5 would have to clear out of the paint to give him room to work and would not be in position to rebound a potential miss. And worse, what's to stop Clingan's defender from doubling on Adama since he's unlikely or unable to pass out to a free Clingan (or other player) moving to the basket? If Adama figures this out, they could be a deadly combo, otherwise I just don't see how they complement each other offensively at this point.

Reaction Score
I always look forward to your analysis, I think you are usually on point about most things, but I just don't get the idea of playing AS/DC at the same time. In some matchups, maybe I could see the benefit defensively (including rebounding) of them together, although you take some risk of both picking up fouls. I just don't think it would work very well offensively, at least not unless and until AS is able to pass out once he's started to make his move, especially when double teamed. Offensively, AS should have an advantage posting up against most 4's, but Clingan at the 5 would have to clear out of the paint to give him room to work and would not be in position to rebound a potential miss. And worse, what's to stop Clingan's defender from doubling on Adama since he's unlikely or unable to pass out to a free Clingan (or other player) moving to the basket? If Adama figures this out, they could be a deadly combo, otherwise I just don't see how they complement each other offensively at this point.
One consideration is getting guys who give you the best chance of winning on the court. We may have differing theories about how AS/DC would work together on the court but at some point we need to actually try it for periods of time against particular match ups where Karaban is overmatched inside. We have seen those matchups the last two games. In the Corporate World, we call it Proof of Concept. Sometimes you need to put egos aside and try something to see if it works or not.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I get the fouls discrepancy and the high percentage of 3’s etc, but IMO the 16 turnovers killed us. We had two straight chances to take the lead late and put pressure on them and turned it over. Then the tech and the rest is history. We need to tighten this up quickly if we want to be elite.
True, turnovers was another key fact, especially late.

Reaction Score
Newton has to have a Plan B when he goes to the hoop. Too many times tonite he had very few options .. He was forcing stuff when there wasn't any play to be made.

Tristan can be Earl Kelley he just needs to be sure of his next move, pass when getting to the lane. We used to be a good offensive rebounding team, so no reason Newton can’t get to the rack and create his own shot, and everyone go get it. To me it has continued to look like he’s trying to be UConns “point” guard than that creative kid from ECU that was a scorer. Let him loose, ask him to be a bit more selfish, attack.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
It was very uneven and it should not be a secret to anyone what’s going on. Regardless, of what one may think of Danny’s antics. This isn’t right. The refs need to be more professional. Shame on the Big East for allowing this.
What’s the solution. Our AD sits down with BE office?

Reaction Score
I do think we play better with Donovan out there - he can change a game. Karaban is a good player but can be physically overwhelmed in certain matchups until he gets stronger. Sanogo statistically is one of our best three ball guys % wise on our team - so where’s the give up. Time to play them together starting NOW.
Yes. Do we play them together with Andre in the lineup or only when he’s out? I ask because he’s not as much a perimeter shooter although his 3 % is the same as Newton and Alleyne. Will Hurley likely do this do you think?

Reaction Score
The Diarra turnover with the game tied was the single key moment, as it wasn’t a physical mistake, or even one where he was under pressure. Just made an incredibly boneheaded decision by throwing a long pass that wasn’t there and wouldn’t have led to a layup if he got the ball there, and then bouncing it to boot. He’s played well lately, and I wish he played more yesterday, but that was a brutal decision at a critical time

Reaction Score
Always liked making the other coach adjust, the twin towers, at times would do that. We seem to run too long with what is hurting us. Nova did that with the back-downs and other teams are repeating that offensive move to good effect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom