Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition

Reaction Score
Tristan can be Earl Kelley he just needs to be sure of his next move, pass when getting to the lane. We used to be a good offensive rebounding team, so no reason Newton can’t get to the rack and create his own shot, and everyone go get it. To me it has continued to look like he’s trying to be UConns “point” guard than that creative kid from ECU that was a scorer. Let him loose, ask him to be a bit more selfish, attack.
Amen, the reins are too tight????

Reaction Score
Lately Newton seems to be driving less and when he does he is looking to pass and gets in a jam. He should be driving to score and if a big is wide open then pass it but at least he could draw a foul or we get a rebound. His rebounding was a big positive as usual but we need him to be a factor scoring too.

Reaction Score
What’s the solution. Our AD sits down with BE office?
Good question. Apparently, the senior refs are in the ACC/Big East Scheduling Consortium now. The conferences don’t have or don’t exercise the common sense powers they did in the Dave Gavitt Days or even when Mike Tag was running things. I will need to understand this better.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It was very uneven and it should not be a secret to anyone what’s going on. Regardless, of what one may think of Danny’s antics. This isn’t right. The refs need to be more professional. Shame on the Big East for allowing this.
it's 1 pm on a sunday. u got plenty of time to call all those voters for tomorrows poll, and tell them aboot 'the grand conspiracy' and that, despite their personal experience and/or viewing from afar all things danny, that he really is misunderstood on the 'whiny brat' persona of the past few years.
that should work.

i don't sit near our bench anymore. there's a weird vibe by some nearby akin to some in a crowd at a car race hoping for a crash, or those at an ice game hoping for a fight as far as danny's performance that day. im there for a game, and not antics. it's like those folks walk in loaded for bear, ready to be offended at any slight, and acting like we deserve something, anything, everything. i won't yell 'enuf already! pipe down!' cuz most of the normal folks cheering our squad on also don't want to hear that from me, while others be like 'get'em danny!'
i am not qualified to judge his true mental profile as i did not sleep at a holiday inn last night. i just grabbed some coats, threw them in a tub and just snoozed off for a bit in the wee hours, as i was done with the festivities. 'wake me when its time to go home.'
it's all a bit too much, and i know my limits.
hey danny! play donno, free tris, and put a sock in it! u wearing out a pantload of folks. prolly some of those voters, too.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it's 1 pm on a sunday. u got plenty of time to call all those voters for tomorrows poll, and tell them aboot 'the grand conspiracy' and that, despite their personal experience and/or viewing from afar all things danny, that he really is misunderstood on the 'whiny brat' persona of the past few years.
that should work.

i don't sit near our bench anymore. there's a weird vibe by some nearby akin to some in a crowd at a car race hoping for a crash, or those at an ice game hoping for a fight as far as danny's performance that day. im there for a game, and not antics. it's like those folks walk in loaded for bear, ready to be offended at any slight, and acting like we deserve something, anything, everything. i won't yell 'enuf already! pipe down!' cuz most of the normal folks cheering our squad on also don't want to hear that from me, while others be like 'get'em danny!'
i am not qualified to judge his true mental profile as i did not sleep at a holiday inn last night. i just grabbed some coats, threw them in a tub and just snoozed off for a bit in the wee hours, as i was done with the festivities. 'wake me when its time to go home.'
hey danny! play donno, free tris, and put a sock in it! u wearing out a pantload of folks. prolly some of those voters, too.

'im there for a game, and not antics.'
edit- except for Providence games. of course, i don't want anyone hurt and no one ever really is, unless u ask dr boneyard where he'll tell u that a scratch or a bruised ego should immediately be sent to sloan for an mri. someone really should make a movie aboot the quintessentially New England dynamic ('we don't hate u, we don't dis u, we just want to kill u...') when we play them. i have never witnessed a continual live sports dynamic quite like us v. them. big fun, always. for like a century.
records at the time -irrelevant.
not even the NFA-New London football game, 1875, oldest hs game in history, has the same edginess. tradition, tradition!

Reaction Score
that should work.

Did I say Danny is misunderstood? Given the game situation and since it was not out of character to what was going on all game, unless he said something especially bad, the ref shouldn’t have let that perhaps determine the game with a couple minutes left.
As far as the calls - all season there has been an imbalance and despite rather ref(s) like Danny they have a responsibility to be fair to the players. Unfortunately, even after adjusting for driving less but also adjusting the other way for having two viable post Bigs - something needs to be addressed and as I said with the ACC/Big East officials scheduling Consortium it is more difficult to do than in the past.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This tech may have been due, in part, to Coach's reputation. I haven't heard anyone arguing against that possibility. However, if it was assessed on rep, it was the 1st one this year that was, IMO. I do not believe it was remotely assessed due to Bouknight getting ejected from Gampel 10 months ago, which was the insinuation (at least in part) vs. Georgetown.

The free throw disparity has been addressed. UConn took an inordinate amount of jump shots. Shooting fouls typically occur closer to the paint.

Xavier is "experienced" and good and they won on their home court. Hopefully, UConn can get them back on the 25th.

On to Providence.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem may be that Jackson and Newton are similar players in what they bring to the offense. Defensively no, but offensively. Both are questionable from 3. Both look to pass more than shoot, and in doing so their passes can be predictable. Neither seems to reliably finish at the rim. This is solvable, but it’ll take some creativity by Hurley & his brain trust to do it.

FWIW, I'll take two questionable 3pt shooters who are currently shooting a combined 13/36 (36%) in Big East play any time :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Always liked making the other coach adjust, the twin towers, at times would do that. We seem to run too long with what is hurting us. Nova did that with the back-downs and other teams are repeating that offensive move to good effect.
The twin towers is like the hard hedge in that it is best used as a change up to force the other team to react, but not as a staple. It is a way to grab more minutes for Clingan, which we all think is good thing.

For what it’s worth, I felt like Nunge was getting the better of Clingan. That may explain Hurley’s hesitancy to put him in for Adama in the second half.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The twin towers is like the hard hedge in that it is best used as a change up to force the other team to react, but not as a staple. It is a way to grab more minutes for Clingan, which we all think is good thing.

For what it’s worth, I felt like Nunge was getting the better of Clingan. That may explain Hurley’s hesitancy to put him in for Adama in the second half.
Not much of a conspiracy. I don't buy it.

Reaction Score
This tech may have been due, in part, to Coach's reputation. I haven't heard anyone arguing against that possibility. However, if it was assessed on rep, it was the 1st one this year that was, IMO. I do not believe it was remotely assessed due to Bouknight getting ejected from Gampel 10 months ago, which was the insinuation (at least in part) vs. Georgetown.

The free throw disparity has been addressed. UConn took an inordinate amount of jump shots. Shooting fouls typically occur closer to the paint.

Xavier is "experienced" and good and they won on their home court. Hopefully, UConn can get them back on the 25th.

On to Providence.
The foul shot disparity has been going on all year. If you think even one Big East/ACC ref agrees that a fan who was ejected by a ref, should be allowed to stay in the arena by security - we are going to agree to disagree on that. UConn starts off with very weak footing on any issue involving officiating after that fiasco.

Reaction Score
Anyone who feels we don’t have an issue of how we are perceived by Big East officials - how much evidence do you need? The touch fouls called on us and not on them. 19 personal fouls vs 8. 25 ft attempts to 9. Our second foul shot of the game mid way through the second half. The late T on Hurley. All that in an other wise even game. Wake up, it is an issue!

Not exploring the Double Big this season hurt this game, probably lost the game today. Karaban tried hard but defensively got exploited. Meanwhile, Clingan who played very good, spent too much time on the bench. Clingan was one of the few game changer type players today and spent most of the game on the bench. No excuse for that.

The High Hedge results were brutal today. What a well coach team like Xavier exploits is a pass or two away from the hedge action and the mismatch that has its origins during the hedging action.

I have been focusing on these 3 above factors and people say why, we won anyways. Now you know why.

Our ball movement was. Good with 15 first half assists. Would like to see Joey C get more time but with Diarra playing so well setting uptempo that’s difficult.

Early in the second half, that was a Larry Bird move by Andre, I am not behind the line, so he calmly dribbles behind the line and lets it fly with a swish.
Agree Sanogo and Clingan should have been on the floor together more. Donovan might have negated Freemantle around the hoop and Sanogo would have been able to guard Nunge at the three-point line. Neutralized!

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I get the fouls discrepancy and the high percentage of 3’s etc, but IMO the 16 turnovers killed us. We had two straight chances to take the lead late and put pressure on them and turned it over. Then the tech and the rest is history. We need to tighten this up quickly if we want to be elite.
Not to mention we blew a 7 point lead late in the half.

Reaction Score

More minutes for Clingan is key. Got to get your best players on the court. I also would like to see us try to dictate match-ups and have the other team react to us. Usually there’s one way to evaluate an opinion in basketball and that is try it on the court. It’s is perplexing we have not done that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom