Chief’s Briefs - WSU Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - WSU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Missed the game while flying. The box score says Gilberts coming but concerned about Vital and Sid’s production.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I need someone to explain to me this whole “unlucky” narrative. I’m very confused. Personally I think we lost this game because we were bad. We had a 10 point lead at one point, we didn’t rebound well, had some ugly turnovers. Just because WSU hit a tough, semi lucky shot at the end doesn’t mean UConn was unlucky. If you’re not good enough to put away bad teams you leave the door open for these tough losses
We're not "bad" but we're clearly not good enough to win much- yet. Ask Mick Cronin and Kelvin Sampson if they think UConn is bad and I know what they'll tell you. They'll tell you Dan Hurley has this program headed in the right direction and it's just a matter of time. Sampson said as much in the post game presser after their 8-point victory over the Huskies. Anyone who knows anything will tell you, save for a lapse here and there (SMU, Temple), this team is one that fights until the bitter end and teams like that are dangerous. And that's with the team we have now. Let that sink in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we can end this dismal season with a couple of W’s and a very much needed road win. Hopefully get Jalen back by then it’s possible that we can at least put up a decent fight in our conf tournament. End this season on somewhat of a positive note

Reaction Score
I was on the road and couldn’t watch the game but just read the box score and thread recaps. Obviously slow out of the gate again and lack of overall scoring. I havent seen any mention of CV not starting again and noticed he didn’t do to much. Was he bad tonight or was it that the game dynamics were trending away from him ? He needs to be starting and generating points.Great to hear AG played well.

Reaction Score
It's nearing end of a season and I'm more interested looking forward.

Most players have played like losers because the past few years they've been led by coaches and players who weren't all in mentally or physically (Did I dance around calling players and coaches losers?).

In the genre of Jimmy's and Joe's over X's and O's, gimme Hurley as a coach and AG with the ball and the same supporting cast starts winning.
Hurley is the coach of this team and it is his job to get them to play like winners. They are playing harder than last season but not much better even with the improvement of Carlton and Vital.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
It was a tough game to like other than the excitement at the end. As Chief has said all season we need more talent. There’s only so much to say when too many guys lack talent. I am not going to beat them up for that fact. Over-all they have played hard and competed this season, we have a talent deficit and Chief can’t analyze our way out of that.
Chief speaks the truth. Can't beat a dead horse. Can't get blood from... and so on. As many have pointed out throughout the season, these players (not including AG and JA) would not see court time on UConn's teams over the past 27 years or so. Those who believe it is something other than talent, have not had experience coaching teams that are clearly over-matched. Only when they are shooting really well can they win games against similar or better competition (e.g., Syracuse at the Garden). If Hurley can land one more solid recruit (a Power Forward or Center), I will feel really good about next year.

Reaction Score
Missed the game while flying. The box score says Gilberts coming but concerned about Vital and Sid’s production.
I'm in Hawaii and coming from CT the time zone is absolutely wacky. I've missed the last two games because I am 'happily' disoriented. Weird though at 5pm here I see that the game is over.

C

Chief00

Sid has to find his role better. Part of our improvement next season is if Sid improves physically and in certain facets of the game.
Hurley said we need more physicality and when I saw the 1999 team last week, I was reminded of how much of sheer man size/strength we are missing.

C

Chief00

go get em chief!!!! we believe in you!!!!

Thanks. I coached my daughter’s second grade team years ago, we did have talent but we had mostly second graders against fifth graders. We improved after that year winning championships. Two girls from that team are now D1 scholarship athletes. So Chief knows the road map to success from the ashes of a 2 win season. True, different level but the concept is the same.

C

Chief00

What’s the typical day like for a Chief?
First things first. It’s 5:47am and Chief has already put the loss last night to bed. Mapping out what game to attend tonight. Tournament time is tough, since you can’t plan ahead very much. Chief is very excited about some of the 2020 guys we are involved with. A wider net than last year and get to see the whole full process for these guys and will see how Hurley prioritizes from here on 2020 and completes 2019.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I coached my daughter’s second grade team years ago, we did have talent but we had mostly second graders against fifth graders. We improved after that year winning championships. Two girls from that team are now D1 scholarship athletes. So Chief knows the road map to success from the ashes of a 2 win season. True, different level but the concept is the same.
LOL

Reaction Score
I need someone to explain to me this whole “unlucky” narrative. I’m very confused. Personally I think we lost this game because we were bad. We had a 10 point lead at one point, we didn’t rebound well, had some ugly turnovers. Just because WSU hit a tough, semi lucky shot at the end doesn’t mean UConn was unlucky. If you’re not good enough to put away bad teams you leave the door open for these tough losses
Law of averages. You said it yourself.....Wichita State hit a semi lucky shot. The game before, Cincy was given 6 seconds to inbound a ball and call a timeout. Again, unlucky. I am not suggesting we would have eventually won, but this team has had their share of bad breaks. I agree they are not good, but they have also been unlucky. Regardless of how we got to those last plays in each game, if either result favored UConn, things could be very different.

Reaction Score
First things first. It’s 5:47am and Chief has already put the loss last night to bed. Mapping out what game to attend tonight. Tournament time is tough, since you can’t plan ahead very much. Chief is very excited about some of the 2020 guys we are involved with. A wider net than last year and get to see the whole full process for these guys and will see how Hurley prioritizes from here on 2020 and completes 2019.
I sure hope last nights game didn't cause you to lose any sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom