Chief’s Briefs - WSU Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - WSU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Truth is Christian makes a vital error in guarding the guy they want to have the ball at the end. Even though he's a lefty you cut him off from the right sideline make him go left where there is help and it also takes time off the clock. Last second shot guys want to get to a spot in a straight line to make a play so never allow that instead make them cross dribble or something. Allowing the side without cutting it off is a defensive NO all the time anyway. If he cut him off I believe there would've been a clog too as there was a couple big guys right there, maybe not even a shot or a heave at least.

Carlton did a decent job for sure, the fight is there. He did play against 2 hacks in 21 and 33 who did get away with murder all game. If anything please work all summer on bringing the backboard into his game. If he finished with the glass he will score 4-5 more points a game just for that reason alone. He had a couple phantom foul calls which hurt too and took minutes away. Cobb was dreadful in this game on both ends.

Polley played nice D on MacDuffie for the most part once again but can we get him some shots in the 2nd half. It's on him too as I realize he needs to learn to create but c'mon caching staff run some plays to get him some looks he's making shots again.

Brendan Adams did some nice things, one making some open looks. He plays really hard but need to see him create like Polley. I mean they both have this idea that 2 bounces and then the handoff is the offense but to make everyone better take it to the rim, take your guy once in a while and either score it or kick it that way.

Tarin rough game, early on with his offense and defense Hurley laid into him early. Sid did a couple of things which make you see who he could be but he's totally lost on D rarely helps on time, guards his guy like he doesn't know where the ball is. He will be only as good as he grows on that end, and needs to learn ball fakes and creativity around the basket. He's gifted and it worked in prep not anymore. It's early but I'm scared of his game.

AG is our leader, proved it for sure and we need him to stay healthy. He's only 11 for 34 in his last 2 games but still our best player. But please AG no one ever has left a game due to cramps get realHead bang

Another tough loss but who didn't think they would score with 6 seconds left - that pessimism needs to be removed from ours and their mental thoughts.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Truth is Christian makes a vital error in guarding the guy they want to have the ball at the end. Even though he's a lefty you cut him off from the right sideline make him go left where there is help and it also takes time off the clock. Last second shot guys want to get to a spot in a straight line to make a play never allow that make them cross dribble or something. Allowing the side without cutting it off is a defensive NO all the time anyway. If he cut him off I believe there would've been a clog too as there was a couple big guys right there, maybe not even a shot or a heave at least.

Carlton did a decent job for sure, the fight is there. He did play against 2 hacks in 21 and 33 who did get away with murder all game. If anything please work all summer on bringing the backboard into his game. If he finished with the glass he will score 4-5 more points a game just for that reason alone. He had a couple phantom foul calls which hurt too and took minutes away. Cobb was dreadful in this game on both ends.

Polley played nice D on MacDuffie for the most part once again but can we get him some shots in the 2nd half. It's on him too as I realize he needs to learn to create but c'mon caching staff run some plays to get him some looks he's making shots again.

Brendan Adams did some nice things, one making some open looks. He plays really hard but need to see him create like Polley. I mean they both have this idea that 2 bounces and then the handoff is the offense but to make everyone better take it to the rim, take your guy once in a while and either score it or kick it that way.

Tarin rough game, early on with his offense and defense Hurley laid into him early. Sid did a couple of things which make you see who he could be but he's totally lost on D rarely helps on time, guards his guy like he doesn't know where the ball is. He will be only as good as he grows on that end, and needs to learn ball fakes and creativity around the basket. He's gifted and it worked in prep not anymore. It's early but I'm scared of his game.

AG is our leader, proved it for sure and we need him to stay healthy. He's only 11 for 34 in his last 2 games but still our best player. But please AG no one ever has left a game due to cramps get realHead bang

Another tough loss but who didn't think they would score with 6 seconds left - that pessimism needs to be removed from ours and their mental thoughts.

Yep, you know full court defense. I agree you only give the bill handler a side if there’s a plan at the end. But give the WSU kid credit, he hit a tough, clutch shot.

Reaction Score
Last second shot guys want to get to a spot in a straight line to make a play never allow that make them cross dribble or something. Allowing the side without cutting it off is a defensive NO all the time anyway.

Vital needed to cut off and force the dribbler to his left hand, no doubt about that. In the secondary break, you want to force a change of direction and funnel to the help.

You're wrong about this quote though. It's the difference between packline man-man and pressure man-man. Hurley on MOST possessions against a fairly ambidextrous dribbler is going to force baseline/sideline NOT middle. It requires a much more difficult rotation from the post on baseline drives, but is the most effective option when you're looking to get a lot of steals and out in transition.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Back to the recruiting grind tomorrow - and Ray Allen Gampel game on Sunday. A busy weekend for Chief.
1551447242576.png

Reaction Score
Vital needed to cut off and force the dribbler to his left hand, no doubt about that. In the secondary break, you want to force a change of direction and funnel to the help.

You're wrong about this quote though. It's the difference between packline man-man and pressure man-man. Hurley on MOST possessions against a fairly ambidextrous dribbler is going to force baseline/sideline NOT middle. It requires a much more difficult rotation from the post on baseline drives, but is the most effective option when you're looking to get a lot of steals and out in transition.

While I see what you're saying not "all the time" to a point, I prefer to get back to 101 most of the time. Hate how easy the baseline/sideline on pressure is given up will never be a proponent. Baseline or on top when ou try to pressure guys always get the sideline too often it's a no-no and a very easy place to take a charge also. But he's the coach so he knows what he's doing I'm jus a dope, that much I am sure of.

Reaction Score
Sid has to find his role better. Part of our improvement next season is if Sid improves physically and in certain facets of the game.
Hurley said we need more physicality and when I saw the 1999 team last week, I was reminded of how much of sheer man size/strength we are missing.
We currently carry 10 Rip frames. Think about that. Diarra ,or his ghost, is what? 215-220 and he is looked as the physical stud on our roster. Wasn’t Rudy or Charlie that size?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sid has to find his role better. Part of our improvement next season is if Sid improves physically and in certain facets of the game.
Hurley said we need more physicality and when I saw the 1999 team last week, I was reminded of how much of sheer man size/strength we are missing.
Edmund alone could swallow our entire current roster like a vitamin.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Law of averages. You said it yourself.....Wichita State hit a semi lucky shot. The game before, Cincy was given 6 seconds to inbound a ball and call a timeout. Again, unlucky. I am not suggesting we would have eventually won, but this team has had their share of bad breaks. I agree they are not good, but they have also been unlucky. Regardless of how we got to those last plays in each game, if either result favored UConn, things could be very different.

This team has been very unlucky. Not just that inbounds, but Broome nailing that deep 3. In the first Cinci game, a horrible intentional foul call against CV allowed Cinci to get to OT. Last second shot last night by a lefty drifting out of bounds. Injuries to Adams and Gilbert, plus Yawke and Diarra.

Luck alone accounts for about 4 of our losses. Ideally you play well enough that you can overcome the bad luck, but this team isn't there yet.

Reaction Score
To Chief's credit he has said all along that the main focus this year would be recruiting. The talent and players who work well together just is not on the roster that Hurley took over. Bouknight, Gaffney and Akok are a great start to restoring the talent level to return to relevance on a national level. AG is legit, Sid has lots of potential, and Josh is a serviceable big.

Things are headed in the right direction, but it isnt translating into wins just yet. 2 years from now you will see the talent and performance that we all are looking for.

C

Chief00

To Chief's credit he has said all along that the main focus this year would be recruiting. The talent and players who work well together just is not on the roster that Hurley took over. Bouknight, Gaffney and Akok are a great start to restoring the talent level to return to relevance on a national level. AG is legit, Sid has lots of potential, and Josh is a serviceable big.

Things are headed in the right direction, but it isnt translating into wins just yet. 2 years from now you will see the talent and performance that we all are looking for.

#ChiefCertified

C

Chief00

This team has been very unlucky. Not just that inbounds, but Broome nailing that deep 3. In the first Cinci game, a horrible intentional foul call against CV allowed Cinci to get to OT. Last second shot last night by a lefty drifting out of bounds. Injuries to Adams and Gilbert, plus Yawke and Diarra.

Luck alone accounts for about 4 of our losses. Ideally you play well enough that you can overcome the bad luck, but this team isn't there yet.

So true, good teams overcome bad luck and nearly everything else.

Reaction Score
I preface my rant by saying I do think Hurley is the right guy for this job and truly believe we will look much better 2 years from now. He has them playing hard and competing and the recruiting class is solid so far. However, I have a slight concern as this offense is very difficult to watch. We run about 120 variations of the same weave and dribble hand off that all lead to the same ball screen and isolation for our guards who operate interchangeably in the set. It will obviously look better once we have 3 multi dimensional guards with interchangeable skill sets on the floor but this team this year does not have that. The holdover players have improved from last year and coaching staff seems to be struggling to utilize their strengths. As Hurley himself pointed out, CV is a good shooter off the catch and a good rebounder but not good at penetrating and creating, yet the offense continually puts him in situations that call for for him to create. Same with Tarin Smith who is only competent on offense at getting the ball across half court. He can't shoot and he is a dreadful passer yet the offense has him constantly attacking off the dribble. This place destroys Polley, who in spite of a 3/26 stretch in the middle of the season is shooting 38% from 3 and the offense does nothing to get him shots except alternate running him off a pick and pop or flair that NEVER result in him getting the ball even when he's open. He gets ripped here for standing around the 3 point line but that's the offense and what he is supposed to do after his flair. Then we finally have a player like Sid who is actually an athlete and we do nothing to get him going to the rim. Instead we run a 20% three point shooter off the same pick and pop flair action as Polley.

Before everyone pounds me about how talent deficient we are, I'm not saying we are a final 4 team, or even a top 4 team in the conference, especially without Jalen, but there are plenty of adjustments that can be made to minimize these players weaknesses and maximize their strengths that would help in these winnable games. As boring as Calhoun was as an offensive coach, he always adjusted to what he had. When he had RIP and Ray it was all about motion off the ball. When he had Emeka, we were post oriented. He ran stuff for Stanley to get lobs. He ran pin downs for Lamb to get him his mid-range jumper. When he had KO or a Taliek at point who weren't great shooters or dynamic offensive players he didn't put them in the same spots he put Kemba. This isn't Hall of Fame coaching stuff. You adjust to what you have that's what coaches are supposed to do. I hope this is just a year 1 getting to know the players and being more focused on culture and recruiting than wins and losses right now because this needs to get better even if the talent improves

Reaction Score
While I see what you're saying not "all the time" to a point, I prefer to get back to 101 most of the time. Hate how easy the baseline/sideline on pressure is given up will never be a proponent. Baseline or on top when ou try to pressure guys always get the sideline too often it's a no-no and a very easy place to take a charge also. But he's the coach so he knows what he's doing I'm jus a dope, that much I am sure of.

You're not wrong. I do think kids think "give up sideline" means don't play tough D sometimes. It means if you're GOING to get beat, make it baseline. But obviously try not to get beat at all...

C

Chief00

I preface my rant by saying I do think Hurley is the right guy for this job and truly believe we will look much better 2 years from now. He has them playing hard and competing and the recruiting class is solid so far. However, I have a slight concern as this offense is very difficult to watch. We run about 120 variations of the same weave and dribble hand off that all lead to the same ball screen and isolation for our guards who operate interchangeably in the set. It will obviously look better once we have 3 multi dimensional guards with interchangeable skill sets on the floor but this team this year does not have that. The holdover players have improved from last year and coaching staff seems to be struggling to utilize their strengths. As Hurley himself pointed out, CV is a good shooter off the catch and a good rebounder but not good at penetrating and creating, yet the offense continually puts him in situations that call for for him to create. Same with Tarin Smith who is only competent on offense at getting the ball across half court. He can't shoot and he is a dreadful passer yet the offense has him constantly attacking off the dribble. This place destroys Polley, who in spite of a 3/26 stretch in the middle of the season is shooting 38% from 3 and the offense does nothing to get him shots except alternate running him off a pick and pop or flair that NEVER result in him getting the ball even when he's open. He gets ripped here for standing around the 3 point line but that's the offense and what he is supposed to do after his flair. Then we finally have a player like Sid who is actually an athlete and we do nothing to get him going to the rim. Instead we run a 20% three point shooter off the same pick and pop flair action as Polley.

Before everyone pounds me about how talent deficient we are, I'm not saying we are a final 4 team, or even a top 4 team in the conference, especially without Jalen, but there are plenty of adjustments that can be made to minimize these players weaknesses and maximize their strengths that would help in these winnable games. As boring as Calhoun was as an offensive coach, he always adjusted to what he had. When he had RIP and Ray it was all about motion off the ball. When he had Emeka, we were post oriented. He ran stuff for Stanley to get lobs. He ran pin downs for Lamb to get him his mid-range jumper. When he had KO or a Taliek at point who weren't great shooters or dynamic offensive players he didn't put them in the same spots he put Kemba. This isn't Hall of Fame coaching stuff. You adjust to what you have that's what coaches are supposed to do. I hope this is just a year 1 getting to know the players and being more focused on culture and recruiting than wins and losses right now because this needs to get better even if the talent improves
Some good points. My understanding is that Coach Young focused on the offense this year.

Reaction Score
Hurley is the coach of this team and it is his job to get them to play like winners. They are playing harder than last season but not much better even with the improvement of Carlton and Vital.
They are unequivocally playing better than last year in large part because they are playing harder.

Reaction Score
I hate losing. I hate to see my only team from the state I was born and raised in go thru this transitional period. It sucks but like what most of know and also mentioned these guys lack talent but we’re playing hard for a team of bench players and mid major transfers with Hurley at the realm. Our record in the AAC as much as it pains me to say this reflects on our talent level. We can’t catch a damn break for nothing. Better days are coming

Reaction Score
Anyone else see this? When Gilbert hit the three to tie it, CV was walking towards the ref gesturing something... was he trying to call a timeout? You could see Hurley say something to him as he was coming down the floor.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Anyone else see this? When Gilbert hit the three to tie it, CV was walking towards the ref gesturing something... was he trying to call a timeout? You could see Hurley say something to him as he was coming down the floor.
He was. Hurley tried to call time out too.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Brendan Adams hits 3 threes (nice to see) and all of a sudden he's a recruiting gem to so many
After 27 games and many appearances, one decent game doesn't do it - sorry
Not saying that he won't be a real contributor by year 3 or 4 but I am holding back my anticipation

While AG did drive too much for my liking, I thought he was a real trooper and showed why he could be a special player - just hope his health holds out
I don't like this playing games with CV's head - the kid is a wild pony and those types are hard to harness and when you try sometimes it works while the fail rate is high. He is a player that provides spark and some of his team mates feed off of it. Plus the kid shows zero fear - something most on this team lack
I like that Carlton decided to dunk once or twice - now I know he can and hopefully it's something he will do more often than not.
Rebounding - my God - the totals look good because WSU missed so many shots but how many offensive rebounds did WSU get? Has Polley had more than 2 rebounds in any game?

This should have been a win - If DH is going to use so few players, and I understand why, he needs to be a better judge of TO management. His team got winded and WSU went on that mid 2nd half frenzy.

Bright side - NO second half opening collapse but both teams went through the motions in that nearly unwatchable opening 10 minutes.

I think both teams are on a level playing field right now - the biggest difference is that WSU's best player is a senior who has played on winning teams and they have a 7' guy in the middle who has presence and just enough skill to be a factor against teams lacking inside depth/skill.

The AAC officiating sucks - only place Ted Valentine could find work - it's a shame

C

Chief00

Brendan Adams hits 3 threes (nice to see) and all of a sudden he's a recruiting gem to so many
After 27 games and many appearances, one decent game doesn't do it - sorry
Not saying that he won't be a real contributor by year 3 or 4 but I am holding back my anticipation

While AG did drive too much for my liking, I thought he was a real trooper and showed why he could be a special player - just hope his health holds out
I don't like this playing games with CV's head - the kid is a wild pony and those types are hard to harness and when you try sometimes it works while the fail rate is high. He is a player that provides spark and some of his team mates feed off of it. Plus the kid shows zero fear - something most on this team lack
I like that Carlton decided to dunk once or twice - now I know he can and hopefully it's something he will do more often than not.
Rebounding - my God - the totals look good because WSU missed so many shots but how many offensive rebounds did WSU get? Has Polley had more than 2 rebounds in any game?

This should have been a win - If Dan Hurley is going to use so few players, and I understand why, he needs to be a better judge of TO management. His team got winded and WSU went on that mid 2nd half frenzy.

Bright side - NO second half opening collapse but both teams went through the motions in that nearly unwatchable opening 10 minutes.

I think both teams are on a level playing field right now - the biggest difference is that WSU's best player is a senior who has played on winning teams and they have a 7' guy in the middle who has presence and just enough skill to be a factor against teams lacking inside depth/skill.

The AAC officiating sucks - only place Ted Valentine could find work - it's a shame

I actually don’t have an issue with Valentine. There are many refs not as kind to UConn.

Reaction Score
First things first. It’s 5:47am and Chief has already put the loss last night to bed. Mapping out what game to attend tonight. Tournament time is tough, since you can’t plan ahead very much. Chief is very excited about some of the 2020 guys we are involved with. A wider net than last year and get to see the whole full process for these guys and will see how Hurley prioritizes from here on 2020 and completes 2019.
Chief, I’m worried more about 2019. Please assure me that I will be happy with what Hurley brings in for the last 1 or maybe 2 recruits to start next season. Will he get a quality big man?

C

Chief00

Chief, I’m worried more about 2019. Please assure me that I will be happy with what Hurley brings in for the last 1 or maybe 2 recruits to start next season. Will he get a quality big man?

That’s my concern too - a quality Big with some degree of physicality. Quite frankly, we are still grinding hard on this position. Still optimistic, but we need to close the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom