Chief’s Briefs - UCF Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - UCF Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You wanted a "less talented but more experienced guy." So your reference to 1/3 of the incoming class is not relevant and there are no more experienced guys on the roster. Crocker can be blamed for a lot of things, but if you really think he screwed up because he didn't recruit enough guys that can start at D-I cornerback in game 1 of their true freshman seasons, I might argue that your expectations are a bit high.
What seems to escape critics is that many or most of the reserves are freshmen with no college experience at all! What the h do you expect them to do, intercept an excellent quarterback throws to experienced receivers while the defensive line applies no pressure? Lighten up.

Reaction Score
I have not looked at the statistics or even used a program at the game; this is purely the high level Chief eye test.

First, from Chief’s perspective it was fun watching a great QB. He definitely is poised and possesses a very high skill level.

As Chief predicted we went to a 4 man D- line for much of the game. The problem was we did not blitz anyone and there was little pressure on a Heisman level QB who picked us apart.
The first of the many errors Crocker made was when UCF was on the 3 yard line early in the game, if you include DB’s converted to LB’s, he had about 6-7 DB’s in the game - no beef up front and an easy TD result.

He had a freshman CB, who got torched for three early touchdowns and other misassignments. After the second TD I thought for sure he would come out for perhaps a less talented but more experienced guy. Didn’t happened.

As I stated previously, Pindell has legit speed and moves - while his agility avoids many direct hits - I fear if he continues to run so often - he will get injuried.

We played NYG football moving the ball between the 20’s, but we had no running game in the red zone. Did we miss Hopkins, who had 7 TDS last season? Sure we did. We also need to look for McLean as a target in the red zone due to his height.

I do think we have improved from last season and that’s what Chief was looking for.

#HAILTHECHIEF

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The blitz execution was terrible. I could get into the X’s and O’s but what the casual fan needs to know is the angles and gaps were wrong and therefore they got stuffed. Since we couldn’t cover anyways we should have really committed to an aggressive blitz from multiple positions.
Translation: Please don't make me get into the X's and O's. Never change, chief.

C

Chief00

Again moving the goalposts. You were absurdly implying some credit to your persona for above expected student attendance and I challenged you on it. Apparently recognizing the absurdity of that now you are making it about a 4 man line, something I never commented on. However, despite never having been to a UConn practice, even I knew from multiple reports that 2 deep players were practicing it. If they were just preparing the offense to oppose a 4 man line that would be the scout team’s job, not the starters. It didn’t take a genius to figure they might use it in some game situations.

You are arguing with the wrong guy about the 4 man line just being prep for the offense. Debate with the guys who posted that - Huskymedic!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Um. First you said we didn’t blitz. Then you said the blitzes were terrible. Now back to not blitzing. Got it.

It’s not that complicated. It’s like saying we didn’t tackle last season. Other than a few well meaning but misguided Casual Fans, I think people know what is meant. When you don’t successfully execute one blitz in a game - it speaks for itself.
You can do all the verbal gymnastics you want to protect Crocker but that doesn’t change the results.

Reaction Score
You can do all the verbal gymnastics you want...
LMAO - you are the Mary Lou Retton of verbal gymnastics when exposed.
You are arguing with the wrong guy about the 4 man line just being prep for the offense. Debate with the guys who posted that - Huskymedic!
I posted the quote that came direct from Edsall (in the linked article) - there can be no dispute that he said what he said. Who knows why he said it but he said it. I’ve been saying since last year (use the search function) that they’ve used a 4 man front (4-3-4, 4-2-5) in addition to a 3-3-5, 3-4-4. Your narrative is you predicated a new 4 man front this year. It’s not a new concept this year. This is what Edsall/Crocker want to run (and make no mistake - this is the defense that Edsall wants run - this wasn’t something Crocker came in and convinced Randy to run during an interview). What they run is based on personnel they have.

Reaction Score

I posted the quote that came direct from Edsall - there can be no dispute that he said what he said. Who knows why he said it but he said it. I’ve been saying since last year (use the search function) that they’ve used a 4 man front (4-3-4, 4-2-5) in addition to a 3-3-5, 3-4-4. Your narrative is you predicated a new 4 man front this year. It’s not a new concept since Edsall/Crocker came in (and make no mistake - this is the defense that Edsall wants run - this wasn’t something Crocker came in and convinced Randy to run during an interview). What they run is based on personnel.
chief is certified #clueless

Reaction Score
Other than a few well meaning but misguided Casual Fans, I think people know what is meant.

Maybe it is just me...but I find some of these posts to be almost a caricature or cartoon depiction of a certain type personality.

Setting oneself apart, referring to self in third person, dismissal of others as "inferior"...showing disdain for those who don't recognize their greatness....it is right off the pages of the DSM.

Would, I guess, make for a good sit com character except Sheldon Cooper has been there, done that.

C

Chief00

I posted the quote that came direct from Edsall - there can be no dispute that he said what he said. Who knows why he said it but he said it. I’ve been saying since last year (use the search function) that they’ve used a 4 man front (4-3-4, 4-2-5) in addition to a 3-3-5, 3-4-4. Your narrative is you predicated a new 4 man front this year. It’s not a new concept since Edsall/Crocker came in (and make no mistake - this is the defense that Edsall wants run - this wasn’t something Crocker came in and convinced Randy to run during an interview).

Sure the Edsall quote you used to refute my comment about playing a 4 man line came from Edsall - when Edsall said they were using the 4 man line in practice to prepare for opponents’s offenses.

Quite frankly, because Chief attends practices when he can and talks to people - he saw the coach’s smokescreen that happens all the time in the NFL and college - especially with coaches who have NFL experience. It’s all part of the game. Ever watch a Patriots press conference the week before the game. Chief filters for all that and does the eye test and picks up what info he can. It’s all part of football.
I agree after Crocker’s multiple failures last season Edsall got more involved in the D late in the year and we did see some 4 man lines. However, even Chief was a little surprised how prominent it was Thursday except when UCF was 1st and goal from the 3 yard line and we effectively went with 6-7 DBs or DBs converted to LBs in name only. Chief has no explanation for that other than a head shake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Lightweight.
I'm happy to take you behind the woodshed next time you want to talk scheme. the great chief doesn't talk scheme, though. he sounds like any other #casualfan

Reaction Score
I agree after Crocker’s multiple failures last season Edsall got more involved in the D late in the year and we did see some 4 man lines. However, even Chief was a little surprised how prominent it was Thursday except when UCF was 1st and goal from the 3 yard line and we effectively went with 6-7 DBs or DBs converted to LBs in name only. Chief has no explanation for that other than a head shake

Don't remember the entire situation but with the speed UCF snaps the ball we may not have had time to get the players subbed in time.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, because Chief attends practices when he can and talks to people...

Here’s where you go off the rails and sound like a pompous tool. Your continued assumption is that you are the only one in the UConn football/basketball universe who has/may converse with a coach, observe a practice when available or know someone in the program or on the team who can provide insight or confirmation.

You’re not. You are just one of the isolated few who throws it in people’s face to try to bolster a narrative you create. Some of those who know the truth just sit back and shake their heads - others have less self control (guilty as charged). Back it down a tad and maybe you wouldn’t get challenged as much.

C

Chief00

84C7F489-0AB8-4D79-B738-84C933B1BD24.png

C

Chief00

Here’s where you go off the rails and sound like a pompous tool. Your continued assumption is that you are the only one in the UConn football/basketball universe who has/may converse with a coach, observe a practice when available or know someone in the program or on the team who can provide insight or confirmation.

You’re not. You are just one of the isolated few who throws it in people’s face to try to bolster a narrative you create. Some of those who know the truth just sit back and shake their heads - others have less self control (guilty as charged). Back it down a tad and maybe you wouldn’t get challenged as much.

IDK, what do you want me to do when you attempt to refute my post by a quote at a press conference. I wasn’t trying to drop names or any insider status - just trying to to say - not to believe the public smokescreen. It’s not that RE was lying or anything - it’s what coaches do to try to get a prep edge. Especially, with all these grad assistants today in college - all this stuff gets googled and becomes part of UConn’s opponent’s scouting report - so why give them the prep advantage?

Reaction Score
It’s not that complicated. It’s like saying we didn’t tackle last season. Other than a few well meaning but misguided Casual Fans, I think people know what is meant. When you don’t successfully execute one blitz in a game - it speaks for itself.
You can do all the verbal gymnastics you want to protect Crocker but that doesn’t change the results.

Who is protecting Crocker? I was just pointing out you have no idea what you are talking about. Carry on.

C

Chief00

Who is protecting Crocker? I was just pointing out you have no idea what you are talking about. Carry on.

Crocker’s usual group of staunch supporters - Huskymedic, JMick, Stain and Kibblesnbits - Basically, that same last off the Diaco Bus crew. LOL God Bless.

C

Chief00

I’m not pro-Crocker, just anti-Chief bullschlit.;)

Bottom-line, Chief said they would be using a 4 man line more - you produced Randy’s presser quote to refute - and guess what we saw the 4 man line a lot.
No matter how you and your cronies try to spin it - that’s what happened.

Reaction Score
Very happy to see Chief challenged this way. Board is becoming unreadable with fake expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom