Chief’s Briefs - UCF Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - UCF Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I have not looked at the statistics or even used a program at the game; this is purely the high level Chief eye test.

First, from Chief’s perspective it was fun watching a great QB. He definitely is poised and possesses a very high skill level.

As Chief predicted we went to a 4 man D- line for much of the game. The problem was we did not blitz anyone and there was little pressure on a Heisman level QB who picked us apart.
The first of the many errors Crocker made was when UCF was on the 3 yard line early in the game, if you include DB’s converted to LB’s, he had about 6-7 DB’s in the game - no beef up front and an easy TD result.

He had a freshman CB, who got torched for three early touchdowns and other misassignments. After the second TD I thought for sure he would come out for perhaps a less talented but more experienced guy. Didn’t happened.

As I stated previously, Pindell has legit speed and moves - while his agility avoids many direct hits - I fear if he continues to run so often - he will get injuried.

We played NYG football moving the ball between the 20’s, but we had no running game in the red zone. Did we miss Hopkins, who had 7 TDS last season? Sure we did. We also need to look for McLean as a target in the red zone due to his height.

I do think we have improved from last season and that’s what Chief was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I have not looked at the statistics or even used a program at the game; this is purely the high level Chief eye test.

First, from Chief’s perspective it was fun watching a great QB. He definitely is poised and possesses a very high skill level.

As Chief predicted we went to a 4 man D- line for much of the game. The problem was we did not blitz anyone and there was little pressure on a Heisman level QB who picked us apart.
The first of the many errors Crocker made was when UCF was on the 3 yard line early in the game, if you include DB’s converted to LB’s he had about 6-7 DB’s in the game - no beef up front and an easy TD result.

He had a freshman CB, who got torched for three early touchdowns and other misassignments. After the second TD I thought for sure he would come out for perhaps a less talented but more experienced guy. Didn’t happened.

As I stated previously, Pindell has legit speed and moves - while his agility avoids many direct hits - I fear if he continues to run so often - he will get injuried.

We played NYG football moving the ball between the 20’s, but we had no running game in the red zone. Did we miss Hopkins, who had 7 TDS last season? Sure we did. We also need to look for McLean as a target in the red zone due to his height.

I do think we have improved from last season and that’s what Chief was looking for.

Amen on Crocker.

I will add Dunn did not stretch the field well, which makes scoring a lot more difficult. He also made some head scratching run play calls at critical times.

Although the offense did put up good yardage numbers, the probability of completing drives drops when you have to run a lot plays to get from point A to B at 5 yards at a clip. We have some nice receivers and they need to be used more effectively. The off-tackle read run remains ineffective.

I agree the team on the whole is better than last year, although the score doesn’t show it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The first of the many errors Crocker made was when UCF was on the 3 yard line early in the game, if you include DB’s converted to LB’s he had about 6-7 DB’s in the game - no beef up front and an easy TD result.

Thank you. Nice to get the 30'K view and not get caught in minutiae.

Reaction Score
Amen on Crocker.

I will add Dunn did not stretch the field well, which makes scoring a lot more difficult

Not sure that is on OC. Who exactly was running past their DBs open down the field.

The O can move the ball, I think they’ll be fine if they learn to hold on to it.

The D on the other hand ...

C

Chief00

Thank you. Nice to get the 30'K view and not get caught in minutiae.
No problem, that’s what Chief is for - the Executive Summary. Sure, Chief could try to impress with the X’s and O’s and sometimes Chief will do a deep drive and break down an aspect of the game in detail. Yet, when you lose by this many points, the high level directional view is more meaningful.
The other thing I would add, Chief was happy with the student turnout. Kudos to the students! Did Chief's rant about the sorority fair, which was the talk of campus, inspire some? It doesn’t matter who gets the credit, the student fannies got in the seats.

Reaction Score
No problem, that’s what Chief is for - the Executive Summary. Sure, Chief could try to impress with the X’s and O’s and sometimes Chief will do a deep drive and break down an aspect of the game in detail. Yet, when you lose by this many points, the high level directional view is more meaningful.
The other thing I would add, Chief was happy with the student turnout. Kudos to the students! Did Chief's rant about the sorority fair, which was the talk of campus, inspire some? It doesn’t matter who gets the credit, the student fannies got in the seats.
Agree with most of what you say. But, was it a learning experience? I say no. It just reinforced a lot of bad habits that will be hard for the DB's to break.

Ironically enough, I thought the O could take some encouragement from last night. They did move the ball as we all th0ought they would although we were expecting more scores.

I was a little amazed at how easily Van Demark got pushed back but he was agile enough to maintain his blocks for several seconds. Did his job pretty much. He will get stronger by next year.

Reaction Score

Simple reason - that guy doesn't exist. Merely by stepping on the field for the first defensive play Paul became one of the more experienced defensive backs on the roster.

C

Chief00

Simple reason - that guy doesn't exist. Merely by stepping on the field for the first defensive play Paul became one of the more experienced defensive backs on the roster.
So this - Crocker burnt over 1/3 of UConn’s incoming class on DB’s - if he doesn’t have other options to throw in there for change of pace if nothing else - that’s on him.

Reaction Score
I will so this - Crocker burnt over 1/3 of UConn’s incoming class on DB’s - is he doesn’t have other options to throw in there for change of pace if nothing else - that’s on him.
You wanted a "less talented but more experienced guy." So your reference to 1/3 of the incoming class is not relevant and there are no more experienced guys on the roster. Crocker can be blamed for a lot of things, but if you really think he screwed up because he didn't recruit enough guys that can start at D-I cornerback in game 1 of their true freshman seasons, I might argue that your expectations are a bit high.

Reaction Score

As Chief predicted we went to a 4 man D- line for much of the game. The problem was we did not blitz anyone

We blitzed. Chief failed the eye test.

Reaction Score
You wanted a "less talented but more experienced guy." So your reference to 1/3 of the incoming class is not relevant and there are no more experienced guys on the roster. Crocker can be blamed for a lot of things, but if you really think he screwed up because he didn't recruit enough guys that can start at D-I cornerback in game 1 of their true freshman seasons, I might argue that your expectations are a bit high.
Fair point. You could add recruiting to the nation's worst defense to that.

Reaction Score
I would rather have this than an ugly 3 point win over Maine or URI or Whatsamatter U. any day.

Reaction Score

You think? Butler, Branch, Gratz and Wreh-Wilson all redshirted. And they were all NFL defensive backs.

Reaction Score

The first of the many errors Crocker made was when UCF was on the 3 yard line early in the game, if you include DB’s converted to LB’s, he had about 6-7 DB’s in the game - no beef up front and an easy TD result.

Interesting how we went from a hurry up offense to a slow down milk the clock tempo when the coaches realized that keeping the ball out of Milton's hand may be a good strategy.

C

Chief00

I did not say start but when the starting guy is dying out there you make a change for a change of pace or a message to your team that this kind of play gets you benched. Our friend Jim Calhoun use to do that all the time.

C

Chief00

lies

You seem to be struggling along with the crew that liked your post and insisted UConn’s use of a 4 man line in practice was to prepare for other teams vs. what we planned to play.

Reaction Score
I did not say start but when the starting guy is dying out there you make a change for a change of pace or a message to your team that this kind of play gets you benched. Our friend Jim Calhoun use to do that all the time.
then that's on Randy. Coaches talk about those things on the sidelines. If you're going to yank a starter, it goes through the head coach. My guess is they didn't want to kill the kids confidence.

C

Chief00

At some point you can only double down defending failure so much.

C

Chief00

then that's on Randy. Coaches talk about those things on the sidelines. If you're going to yank a starter, it goes through the head coach. My guess is they didn't want to kill the kids confidence.

Just a little counter argument - perhaps 3 TDs in a matter of minutes might kill ones confidence?
You know, they did yanked Paul for Carroll, my argument was they should have done it sooner. You seem to be in total denial and act like they left him in for the game.

Reaction Score
Amen on Crocker.

I will add Dunn did not stretch the field well, which makes scoring a lot more difficult. He also made some head scratching run play calls at critical times.

Although the offense did put up good yardage numbers, the probability of completing drives drops when you have to run a lot plays to get from point A to B at 5 yards at a clip. We have some nice receivers and they need to be used more effectively. The off-tackle read run remains ineffective.

I agree the team on the whole is better than last year, although the score doesn’t show it.
I agree this team has improved.

Reaction Score
You seem to be struggling along with the crew that liked your post and insisted UConn’s use of a 4 man line in practice was to prepare for other teams vs. what we planned to play.

You really struggle following the flow of conversations and irony @ times.
Kudos to the students! Did Chief's rant about the sorority fair, which was the talk of campus, inspire some? It doesn’t matter who gets the credit, the student fannies got in the seats.
lies

Reaction Score
How many times did we see two defenders on one man while another offensive player was wide open 5 yards away?

Communication or knowing your job, as Edsall repeatedly says, should improve as the season goes on. We can hope, can't we?

C

Chief00

You really struggle following the flow of conversations @ times.

Yep, no 4 man line to see.

And yes I will stand by my statement it was a good student turnout. It’s not important, what or who motivated that turnout as I stated - sure some give credit to Chief but Chief is just glad it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom