Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Problem is we're waiting once again for next year. Roster needs a major upgrade and 3 recruits is insufficient. We need more talent.

That's why rebuilds normally take 3 years or so. Once you get your recruits flowing through the program. I've been banging this drum from day 1.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think Bouknight, Gaffney, and Akok really start to patch some of those holes.

Totally agree. Though I think people need to get it in their head that it probably won't be in year 1.

An athletic, lock-down wing defender, a big body, and another guard (for 2020) need to be the priorities IMO.

Maybe it's a vain hope, but I'm hoping Sid can become that lock down defender. Dunno if it'll be next year tho. But he has the tools. This is an area where a 5th year would do us good.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how our stud center ( for next year) is playing 17 minutes and scoring 2 points. Forget holding him out for fouls, what is he being saved for? At this time of year according to Jim Calhoun he is essentially a junior right? Is he a starting or backup center next year? Hurley needs 2 bigs a center and forward desperately or next year is more of the same.

Our stud center? Who is that?

If you are referring to Carlton, I'm hoping he can become a good backup as a Jr (playing ability wise). And maybe serviceable center by Senior year.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
If we are being hones, they get to the rim at will with either of them on the court anyway.

Well until you get someone else Cobb and Carlton are you Centers- Funny- any giving game guys on this site band bandwagon the hell out of these guys and their potential?? Simply put, try the standard approach and do a couple things good like rebound and block shots, or you could keep it like it is, it’s working so well now..JC always focused on the big man game first

Reaction Score
Well then we aren't going to be good but I don't think that's the case. The three kids coming in next year are all much more talented than everyone on this team not named Jalen and Alterique but they obviously aren't enough. We need to get more kids with their talent and an occasional 5 star mixed in. We need the kids Ollie saddled us with to cycle through the program and to replace them with much more talented and gritty players. Ollie somehow was able to bring in both substandard talent and softies.
Have you seen the recruits play?

C

Chief00

Have you seen the recruits play?

I have and definitely on the two guards. With Akok, it’s all about development both S&C and skills. He and Sid could scare some people blocking shots.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sounds like I missed the right game. Ugly. Curious to see what changes tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Sid's ideal skill set is a slasher that can get to the rim and make open jump shots. He's never going to be Rip Hamilton, but if he can make open shots then that will open things up enough for him to drive the paint and score there.
This is just my opinion but I think Sid hadn’t really put in much effort in improving his game. He is just starting to understand what it takes to be the best he can be. Sid will have to get stronger, improve his shot, and handling but I believe we will see a significantly more productive player next year. I dont think I would have said that a month ago.

Reaction Score
BLOCKS : With Sid and Akok, and potentially Josh we could have good rim protection next season. One more big rotating in with good skills in this area (and hopefully with some manly muscle) will make our team defense much better. Of course, we need so much more scoring, but defensively at least other teams won't abuse us at the rim like this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was just one game. Players are human and sometimes teams just have bad games. Happens even to great teams. Trend for the year is still positive.

Reaction Score
I think Bouknight, Gaffney, and Akok really start to patch some of those holes. An athletic, lock-down wing defender, a big body, and another guard (for 2020) need to be the priorities IMO.

Seems like Precious/Jackson fill the first one well. We've really struck out with the second, despite working hard on the recruiting trail. Hopefully, some of the more talented JUCOs/grads/immediately eligible transfers can pan out for us.
Why is there no talk of Akok playing the 3? If we had a beefy 4 would that not be the case? Even precious is more a 4 physically

Reaction Score
Why is there no talk of Akok playing the 3? If we had a beefy 4 would that not be the case? Even precious is more a 4 physically

He is not quick enough laterally to defend the 3, for one. Not even close. And if you can't defend your position, you can't play.

He also cannot handle the ball, or deal with pressure AT ALL. He is very clearly a stretch-4. Has absolutely 0 3-man skills except for shooting--and TBH that's wildly inconsistent right now. Akok isn't going to be driving and drawing fouls, finding cutters

He's closer to a 5 than he is a 3 because of his shot blocking and height. But not really close to either. Akok will likely be 6'10 (though his mentor is pushing for a 6'11 listing) and his goal weight is 225 ish for next year if I remember correctly. He's pushing 210 currently. (Again, spotty memory, I'm trying here haha).

He shoots threes and blocks shots. His ranking is based on the fact that those two skills can put you in the league. I expect Akok to struggle to adjust. He'll have absolutely dominant games, and others with a complete no-show.

Akok and Precious would really compliment each other in terms of skill set because of Precious's versaility. He can guard outside and play inside, or 1-2 dribble drive from the perimeter. He will likely swithc with Akok on offense/defense, which would allow Akok to defend inside the lane more. Let's lock the next one down!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I think you owe the man an apology. Yes, you definitely do.

What? We lost to an unranked cinci team. That was suppose to beat us by 5... but instead won by 4. Awesome, should we celebrate that? What kind of standard have we set here? Cobb and Carlton shouldn’t see the floor together in any meaningful game. But sure I’ll suggest lineups that should get blown off the court. Next someone will say the walk-ons should play more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom