Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We also lacked the player and ball movement we have shown at times this year.
Those items can help our offense and are needed to encourage better passing and thus easier scoring. Everything just seemed so hard for us tonight offensively and defensively. Reminds me too much of last season's disaster right now.

Reaction Score
I know they have nothing to do with each other, point is we can't miss on both. What other "studs" are we in the mix for? Thanks for the lesson though.
Just that JUCO center. LOL!

Reaction Score

Screenshot_20190221-221700001.jpeg

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We took 70 shots compared to SMU taking 49 & we lost by 18.....how is that possible.

They shoot 57%, we shoot 30%

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Hard to believe this is the team that played Houston with grit and toughness just a week ago. I'm not sure what changes Hurley can make, so we will see.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did the Texas Tech coach just say on ESPN2 that one of his star players loves the game so much he was practicing with managers after practice - for us isn’t that an NCAA violation? -

does texas tech willingly let rats invite the ncaa in to correct leadership mistakes?

Reaction Score

These players have dishonored the uniform in the majority of the games they have played in. They are incapable of playing on the road. They cost one coach his job and are mailing it in with the new one. They have done tremendous damage to this program. Everyone wants to sugarcoat it.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe this is the team that played Houston with grit and toughness just a week ago. I'm not sure what changes Hurley can make, so we will see.
Not many options........maybe more Brendan Adams & Whaley otherwise we're kind of stuck.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We were horrendous, I'm out of explanations other then to say the only way to fix this is getting talent. Like 70%-80%of this team doesn't really belong at UConn/wouldn't get time on any good UConn teams.

On a good UCONN team, only Gilbert would be coming off the bench in a 3rd/4th guard relief role, a la Kemba.

I doubt anyone else sees much time at all.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We will see. Not having him pressure the ball as usual was a concession to the injury and fear of a blind screen and reinjury.

I've no problem with that either. The mental hurdle is important to get over, but tripping over the physical hurdle would be catastrophic.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd said Mitchell is imperative if we miss on Precious.......our interior D is a disaster.

Mitchell is not going to wow you on D if reports are accurate. Dude has slower feet than Carlton apparently.

Reaction Score
Cobb on the defensive end is unwatchable at this point. Tarin Smith, just no words to describe what I saw today. Gilbert clearly rusty after a few games off, but he makes a huge difference just being out there.. (Lets Vital be a pure shooter and not have to worry about ball handling) Consistently we bobble rebounds, while other teams just go up and get it. Polley another great showing which was a positive, however too many times I just see the opposing team drive down the paint with no one there at all. I just don't get it..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mitchell and Precious have nothing to do with each other. If we could get both we would get both. If there were 2 or 3 other studs who want to come to UConn we would make room for them too.
Nah I’d rather have that French kid and that JUCO center

Reaction Score
Mitchell is not going to wow you on D if reports are accurate. Dude has slower feet than Carlton.
Awesome........................maybe it will be 2021 then unless we locate a transfer that can play D.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Thank you for keeping it real, Chief.

Just embarrassing tonight. Aruguably the worst game of not only this year but last season as well. At least when we were getting stomped by 20 last year the teams were halfway decent. SMU without Foster is very bad.

Let’s see if they come out with a fire lit under them for the game against Cincy. Another terrible performance would put a really damper on the 1999 celebration
And we are good without. J. Adams and 10%Gilbert?

Reaction Score
Mitchell and Carlton have similar skill sets. Wahab would’ve been the ideal compliment to Carlton.

Reaction Score
A week break and chance to get better and they come out sleep walking. It’s a total embarrassment. This is the stink of a losing program which is hard to shed once it sinks in.

Reaction Score
I
We need a couple bigs (one with rim protecting ability,) we need shooting, we need guys who can finish around the rim, we need a point in case Gilbert doesn't hold up, we need a go to slasher, we need the guys we'll depend on to improve a lot, we need the entire team to bulk up. We still need a ton.
Glad you mentioned finishing at the rim. Our entire team is awful at this except for Jalen and he avoids contact too much as well. Our bigs are awful in traffic and finishing inside when challenged. Carlton ate the ball in traffic and Polley and Sid trying to finish from behind the backboard. The Polley play was embarrassing.

Reaction Score
I totally agree with needing more talent but teams have done much better with far less talent and worse recruits, especially in the AAC. 5 star guys aren’t suddenly gonna start knocking down our door to play here, eventually Hurley will have to be successful with less than desirable talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom