Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A couple comments -

Any reason why Cartlon and Cobb can’t play on the court at the same time?

Vital is average and always will be average

Polley needs to learn how to drive -

They need a passing first guard - the team assist are a joke - look at the national rankings for team assists, the top schools are always at the top

Can’t wait till next year, this team is just not good

If Carlton and Cobb are both playing, a CCC 6th-man could get to the rim at will. Terrible, terrible idea.

Reaction Score
A couple comments -

They need a passing first guard - the team assist are a joke - look at the national rankings for team assists, the top schools are always at the top

Problem is we're waiting once again for next year. Roster needs a major upgrade and 3 recruits is insufficient. We need more talent.

Reaction Score
We need a couple bigs (one with rim protecting ability,) we need shooting, we need guys who can finish around the rim, we need a point in case Gilbert doesn't hold up, we need a go to slasher, we need the guys we'll depend on to improve a lot, we need the entire team to bulk up. We still need a ton.

I think Bouknight, Gaffney, and Akok really start to patch some of those holes. An athletic, lock-down wing defender, a big body, and another guard (for 2020) need to be the priorities IMO.

Seems like Precious/Jackson fill the first one well. We've really struck out with the second, despite working hard on the recruiting trail. Hopefully, some of the more talented JUCOs/grads/immediately eligible transfers can pan out for us.

Reaction Score
Shutting Gilbert down would have been insane. Chief needs to think about that.
I agree. For not having played the last 5 games AG made a difference at the point. His shooting was not good from deep but I did not expect different.

Reaction Score
We have become one of those teams that top tiered programs look at on their schedule and pencil in a W before the season starts.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, we were not very good tonight. On defense we got beat off the dribble and on 3’s. We couldn’t keep our man in front of us when we played man to man and against a zone we gave up open threes.

Bottomline, we need a rim protector. We have played with effort much of the season but Chief did not see that effort tonight.

On offense, we couldn’t finish inside and did not run a productive offense. The final result of all that was very poor shooting. Cobb and Polley had their moments but they were moments not minutes. Chief thought a big test for Polley was when he got fouled on a 3. He made 2 of the 3 but if you want to be considered a shooter you got to put the dagger in and hit all 3. Polley can hit some 3’s, however he needs to be a killer with his shot and he’s not there yet.

Big picture, a decision has been made to end the season with Gilbert and J. Adams playing. Of course, as stated previously, Chief would have shut Gilbert down but Danny wanted him to get over the psychological barrier this season not next. Yet, our most effective defense this season has been Gilbert constantly pressuring the ball handler and we did not consistently try that tonight.

McMurray played well for SMU and Josh gave up an open 3 when we did not effectively execute a switch with about 4 minutes left in the game. That effectively eliminated any illusion of a comeback. Josh guarding McMurray 20 feet from the hoop isn’t a winning combination for us but we keep giving them that match up. Ounch!

There’s a lot of noise in a season of games, but good teams win on the road and we have not done that at all this season.
I chose to not watch the game, and I guess that decision saved me a lot of angst and stress. I think I am done watching for the rest of the season as well....I just can't deal with the frustration any more. Here's hoping Coach Dan can recruit some players with more talent on both ends of the floor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We took 70 shots compared to SMU taking 49 & we lost by 18.....how is that possible.
We missed a bunch of open shots. Sid in particular has an almost otherworldly skill to have a ball go halfway through the rim and still pop out.

Reaction Score
I think the coaches failed Jalen by not bringing in the talent to go around him.

Having said that, you can either have a lot of good looking b*thch*s or be a great focus player who has one smoking hot b*tch, who respects the time he needs to put into the game and sees the big check down the road. Unfortunately, it appears he may have chose the former. A nice, good kid and he loves the big kid on campus experience. So Chief won’t judge him other to say in 5 years he may be like JD and wished he had taken the other path.
100% right, he love the big man on campus role. I agree with you, there is no doubt the coaches failed him, but after 4 years of not seeing certain technical improvements to his game such as improved jump shot form and developing a reliable left hand it really makes me wonder if he has been in the gym late at night improving his craft

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how our stud center ( for next year) is playing 17 minutes and scoring 2 points. Forget holding him out for fouls, what is he being saved for? At this time of year according to Jim Calhoun he is essentially a junior right? Is he a starting or backup center next year? Hurley needs 2 bigs a center and forward desperately or next year is more of the same.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

What did you see from either one last night that makes you want them on the floor?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We missed a bunch of open shots. Sid in particular has an almost otherworldly skill to have a ball go halfway through the rim and still pop out.

Sid is the one bright spot I've seen so far this season. He needs to take 1000+ shots every day this summer, but once his shot starts dropping he's going to be really good for us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sid is the one bright spot I've seen so far this season. He needs to take 1000+ shots every day this summer, but once his shot starts dropping he's going to be really good for us.
Yeah, he's raw but his athleticism and competitiveness make me look forward to watching his development.

Reaction Score
Sid is 6’6” right? Small forward/power forward? With his frame and motor you would want to see elements of RIP in him pulling up from midrange and even 3 and being accurate at the line. I don’t see that and I don’t believe 1000 shots a day in the summer gets him there. That kind of stuff is a dream. Not saying he can’t be of help though but not a stud for us. Just an opinion.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sid is 6’6” right? Small forward/power forward? With his frame and motor you would want to see elements of RIP in him pulling up from midrange and even 3 and being accurate at the line. I don’t see that and I don’t believe 1000 shots a day in the summer gets him there. That kind of stuff is a dream. Not saying he can’t be of help though but not a stud for us. Just an opinion.

Sid's ideal skill set is a slasher that can get to the rim and make open jump shots. He's never going to be Rip Hamilton, but if he can make open shots then that will open things up enough for him to drive the paint and score there.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
A couple comments -

Do you understand basketball? How is this a question.

Reaction Score
We were horrendous, I'm out of explanations other then to say the only way to fix this is getting talent. Like 70%-80%of this team doesn't really belong at UConn/wouldn't get time on any good UConn teams.
I’ve been saying this all season. Very little talent among this group. Certainly no one who “makes everyone else better.” This is a mid level A10 type team. Needs a big time class or two to get back to where it should be

C

Chief00

Just jabbin. What are your views on Hurley now as opposed to him arriving?

I have faith in Danny but like everyone else Chief is inpatient, eventhough I have said from day one this season is about recruiting. We still need 2 more Bigs.

Reaction Score
It was never more obvious how much Jalen means to our success this year

Reaction Score
I truly believe average high school players in ct can score on cobb and Carlton at will.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20190222-162253_Instagram.jpg

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Good for Charlie.....

but we've heard this before from (Kemba/ Lamb/ Napier,....) talking to this team.

I'm sure the '99 team will also talk to them on Sunday .

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good for Charlie.....

but we've heard this before from (Kemba/ Lamb/ Napier,....) talking to this team.

I'm sure the '99 team will also talk to them on Sunday .

We need Charles Oakley, Anthony Mason, and Rasheed Wallace to come in and beat the senseless give them a talking to.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If Carlton and Cobb are both playing, a CCC 6th-man could get to the rim at will. Terrible, terrible idea.

If we are being hones, they get to the rim at will with either of them on the court anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom