Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, we were not very good tonight. On defense we got beat off the dribble and on 3’s. We couldn’t keep our man in front of us when we played man to man and against a zone we gave up open threes.

Bottomline, we need a rim protector. We have played with effort much of the season but Chief did not see that effort tonight.

On offense, we couldn’t finish inside and did not run a productive offense. The final result of all that was very poor shooting. Cobb and Polley had their moments but they were moments not minutes. Chief thought a big test for Polley was when he got fouled on a 3. He made 2 of the 3 but if you want to be considered a shooter you got to put the dagger in and hit all 3. Polley can hit some 3’s, however he needs to be a killer with his shot and he’s not there yet.

Big picture, a decision has been made to end the season with Gilbert and J. Adams playing. Of course, as stated previously, Chief would have shut Gilbert down but Danny wanted him to get over the psychological barrier this season not next. Yet, our most effective defense this season has been Gilbert constantly pressuring the ball handler and we did not consistently try that tonight.

McMurray played well for SMU and Josh gave up an open 3 when we did not effectively execute a switch with about 4 minutes left in the game. That effectively eliminated any illusion of a comeback. Josh guarding McMurray 20 feet from the hoop isn’t a winning combination for us but we keep giving them that match up. Ounch!

There’s a lot of noise in a season of games, but good teams win on the road and we have not done that at all this season.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, we were not very good tonight. On defense we got beat off the dribble and on 3’s. We couldn’t keep our man in front of us when we played man to man and against a zone we gave up open threes.

Bottomline, we need a rim protector. We have played with effort much of the season but Chief did not see that effort tonight.

On offense, we couldn’t finish inside and did not run a productive offense. The final result of all that was very poor shooting. Cobb and Polley had their moments but they were moments not minutes. Chief thought a big test for Polley was when he got fouled on a 3. He made 2 of the 3 but if you want to be considered a shooter you got to put the dagger in and hit all 3. Polley can hit some 3’s, however he needs to be a killer with his shot and he’s not there yet.

Big picture, a decision has been made to end the season with Gilbert and J. Adams playing. Of course, as stated previously, Chief would have shut Gilbert down but Danny wanted him to get over the psychological barrier this season not next. Yet, our most effective defense this season has been Gilbert constantly pressuring the ball handler and we did not consistently try that tonight.

McMurray played well for SMU and Josh gave up an open 3 when we did not effectively execute a switch with about 4 minutes left in the game. That effectively eliminated any illusion of a comeback. Josh guarding McMurray 20 feet from the hoop isn’t a winning combination for us but we keep giving them that match up. Ounch!

There’s a lot of noise in a season of games, but good teams win on the road and we have not done that at all this season.
Shutting Gilbert down would have been insane. Chief needs to think about that.

Reaction Score
Yes, we need that rim protector next year or a change in defensive strategy if we don't. (Akok and Josh are candidates but one more would help). Our aggressive D plays into allowing drive-bys but we can't/won't protect the rim.
We also need some aggressive scorers.
Let's get some people who can create offense and put the ball in the hoop.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
SMU shot 57.1 from the field, 53.3 from 3 and won the battle of the boards

That's a pathetic performance for anyone anywhere. I'm done looking for positives, don't try to sell effort either, these kids play scared, they look like they're in over their heads, they didn't even compete tonight.

When they grow up, I'll have their backs again. I guess I'm just tired of losing, I know everyone here is too.

Reaction Score
Thank you for keeping it real, Chief.

Just embarrassing tonight. Aruguably the worst game of not only this year but last season as well. At least when we were getting stomped by 20 last year the teams were halfway decent. SMU without Foster is very bad.

Let’s see if they come out with a fire lit under them for the game against Cincy. Another terrible performance would put a really damper on the 1999 celebration

C

Chief00

Shutting Gilbert down would have been insane. Chief needs to think about that.
We will see. Not having him pressure the ball as usual was a concession to the injury and fear of a blind screen and reinjury.

Reaction Score
That’s why recruiting needed to be our number 1 priority this year. Still need two more quality guys but we have gotten 3 so far.
I'd said Mitchell is imperative if we miss on Precious.................our interior D is a disaster.

Reaction Score
Yes, we need that rim protector next year or a change in defensive strategy if we don't. (Akok and Josh are candidates but one more would help. Our aggressive D plays into allowing drive-bys but we can't/won't protect the rim.
An athletic rim protector. Josh is good but so weak and earthbound.

Reaction Score
Yes, we need that rim protector next year or a change in defensive strategy if we don't. (Akok and Josh are candidates but one more would help. Our aggressive D plays into allowing drive-bys but we can't/won't protect the rim.
We need a couple bigs (one with rim protecting ability,) we need shooting, we need guys who can finish around the rim, we need a point in case Gilbert doesn't hold up, we need a go to slasher, we need the guys we'll depend on to improve a lot, we need the entire team to bulk up. We still need a ton.

Reaction Score
We will see. Not having him pressure the ball as usual was a concession to the injury and fear of a blind screen and reinjury.
I think that was more a case of just knocking off the rust. He didn't really attack the lane either. But sitting him for the rest of the year when he can use the time to get meaningful minutes with guys he will play with next year would have been a huge waste. If he can play -and help- he should play.

Treating him like glass would be good for nothing and no one,

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
SMU shot 57.1 from the field, 53.3 from 3 and won the battle of the boards

That's a pathetic performance for anyone anywhere. I'm done looking for positives, don't try to sell effort either, these kids play scared, they look like they're in over their heads, they didn't even compete tonight.

When they grow up, I'll have their backs again. I guess I'm just tired of losing, I know everyone here is too.

well of course they won the ‘battle of the boards’ when you shoot mid 50s from the field. There weren’t any defensive rebound opps for uconn

Reaction Score
Nothing to say. Easily worst performance since second half of nova game. How are these guys not improving at all? Carlton MiA past few games. Tarin awful. And even tho Polley had 20- he stunk too. Team is so bad. When is this nightmare going to end? When? Thought these guys were really going to play well tonight after a week of practice, AG coming back and an smu team that plays no D. Guess not. So very very disappointing

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
We took 70 shots compared to SMU taking 49 & we lost by 18.....how is that possible.
That can't be right.

Reaction Score
Mitchell and Precious have nothing to do with each other. If we could get both we would get both. If there were 2 or 3 other studs who want to come to UConn we would make room for them too.
I know they have nothing to do with each other, point is we can't miss on both. What other "studs" are we in the mix for besides them...........none that I'm aware of.

If we could change entire roster except for maybe 3 players fine by me & probably Hurley. Thanks for the lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom