Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition

Reaction Score
Newton triple double!

When you control the boards, move the ball on offense, lock them down on defense, and get a relatively fair shake from the refs, good things happen. Add over 50% shooting from FG and 3pt line and we are talking deep into March!!!!

We still flirt with taking our foot off the gas pedal but we mostly had our foot on the pedal.

Still would love to see the Double Big with Clingan back protecting the rim and both playing 25 minutes +. I honestly think if we got good at that, this would be a 30 point blow out win.

Very pleased with the recent progress of Newton and Alleyne. Also, saw some good signs with Joey C’s confidence. Karaban played solid. Sanogo and Hawkins are our best players.

What is clear to me despite all these player improvements, is when both Sanogo and Hawkins go out, things quickly go South.

Chief still thinks our timeouts are a play or two too late. I want a sense of urgency on every play especially with under 10 minutes in the game.

We are still struggling getting away from a 4 out and 1 in mid major mindset. And when we play with one Big he is often 23 feet. Our wins are in the paint and the three line combination. Our Bigs are the paint part of that equation and not beyond the 3 line.

Reaction Score
Good mix of defenses today and inspired play. We came out and shocked them with our offensive plan in the 1st half.
2nd half basically even.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Hawkins and Sanogo may be our best players, but Newton is the X factor. When he goes to the rim everything on offense seems to open up. And if AJ just plays defense and rebounds and let the offense come natural not forced now we see what the formula is. Newton has been the missing ingredient the last two games showed us that. Guard play guard play guard play = NCAA tourney success.

Reaction Score
Are you convinced that Newton is the point guard?
Never a doubt it was his to lose. Thankfully he has rebounded well as he was always the best option no matter what came out during the summer.

Reaction Score
We had 17 offensive rebounds, they had 18 total.

Tristen Newton had 10 rebounds, they had 18 total.

Hawkins Alleyne and Karaban lit it up from 3, great to see

We missed 9 FTs and shot 59% from the line and had 16 turnovers against a top 10 team and still ran them out of the gym. That means we did nearly everything else REALLY well

Reaction Score
Newton was a superstar tonight. Ball movement was excellent. I give Shaka credit for pressing us in the second half. It was their only chance to compete. We’ve gotta protect the ball better. Other than that, great energy and great effort.

Reaction Score
1) Didn’t miss a bunch of wide open shots.
2) Opponent didn’t shoot the lights out even with a defender inside their jockstrap.
3) Whistles were mostly fair.

Period.

Alabama, Iowa State, Ok State, Marquette. If all of the above are true it makes no difference who the opponent is.

Reaction Score
1. AS did a nice job of recognizing the double team and got rid of the ball to an open teammate.
2. AJ is too much unselfish. There were a few times he had the ball underneath and should have shot it..
3. AH is in the ZONE.
4. AK is a steady player with a high IQ for the game. He should strongly be considered Freshman player of the year in the league.
5. It was nice to see others off the bench contribute other than DC. Great job NH!
6. TN has arrived.
7. DH mixing up the defenses.

Reaction Score
Hawkins and Sanogo may be our best players, but Newton is the X factor. When he goes to the rim everything on offense seems to open up. And if AJ just plays defense and rebounds and let the offense come natural not forced now we see what the formula is. Newton has been the missing ingredient the last two games showed us that. Guard play guard play guard play = NCAA tourney success.
I agree that Newton and Clingan are the X factors.

Reaction Score
Newton triple double!

When you control the boards, move the ball on offense, lock them down on defense, and get a relatively fair shake from the refs, good things happen. Add over 50% shooting from FG and 3pt line and we are talking deep into March!!!!

We still flirt with taking our foot off the gas pedal but we mostly had our foot on the pedal.

Still would love to see the Double Big with Clingan back protecting the rim and both playing 25 minutes +. I honestly think if we got good at that, this would be a 30 point blow out win.

Very pleased with the recent progress of Newton and Alleyne. Also, saw some good signs with Joey C’s confidence. Karaban played solid. Sanogo and Hawkins are our best players.

What is clear to me despite all these player improvements, is when both Sanogo and Hawkins go out, things quickly go South.

Chief still thinks our timeouts are a play or two too late. I want a sense of urgency on every play especially with under 10 minutes in the game.

We are still struggling getting away from a 4 out and 1 in mid major mindset. And when we play with one Big he is often 23 feet. Our wins are in the paint and the three line combination. Our Bigs are the paint part of that equation and not beyond the 3 line.
Well said! Two areas of concern were evident: FTs @ 59% and 17 TOs... Improve on both and it is a 30 point win...even with those it was a great win

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Hawkins gets off to a quick start, it can really take the pressure off the guys and loosen the up

It shows the importance of how the games are called by the refs. The last few games, the way the refs have called the game have allowed Hawkins and Newton to move and penetrate. I liked it when one of the Marquette players got called for a foul when he shoved a drviing Newton in the shoulder and then looked at the ref like "What did I do?". Newton had been getting mugged on drives before the last couple of games and getting nothing. Hawkins was getting grabbed going around screens.

The team is fun to watch when they are making the extra pass and getting the wide open looks. When they built the lead, Jackson looked like the guy we're use to watching. He was flying all around the court. I'm so glad for him that he's been able to bounce back.

The pass from Newton to Karaban was as good as a play as they've had from anyone all season, and they have had a bunch of highlight reel plays.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I look forward to the Gold v. Clingan match ups next year or for however long they stay in college. Gold got the better of Clingan in the first half with the 3's and the drive to the basket. Clingan just went after rebounds hard in second half.

The O rebound, pivot and cross court pass to Karaban for 3 was nasty.

Reaction Score
To have 17 turnovers vs. 8 and still win by 15 is what impresses me after getting home from Hartford.... at the game it seemed like Marquette was missing shots, we were making ours, we were winning 50/50 balls (I guess that's displayed in our outrageous rebounding advantage in the box score) and they got a bunch of cheap fouls in the 2nd half (that didn't matter). Anyway, awesome game for this casual fan of 45 years (since the days of Corny Thompson and Mike Mckay) :)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hawk is the man - cant say anything else about him. He will keep getting better and better and when he gets to the next level and is coached how to do things physically and mentally within his development he will blossom. Blessed to have been following him since his sophomore year in HS and knew he has unlimited potential.

Newton has come out of his shell and is starting to look like a basketball player vs a lost soul. Yes he had a triple/double and that cannot go understated. His vision is better and he has a hop to his step - better late than never. Still not comfortable with him at the point but he is what the team has and if he keeps this level of performance it will make the job easier for the others.

Karaban is playing better and better and does the little things that make you appreciate his overall game. He has al lot of senior season Giffs in him and by the time he is leaving Storrs he is going to be a crowd favorite - pure lunch pail.

While AS had a really good game, I am disappointed in the amount of minutes that DC received, especially based on his last game vs Marquette.

AJax is an enigma. If he could play basketball could you imagine how good he could be? Plays way too many minutes in my opinion. Yes he is a freak athlete and he is on a permanent upper but his offense is really ineffective. DH has to make up his mind if AJax's current minutes are going to hurt the team in the NBE tournament and the NCAAs. The same can be said about Joey C.

Is S Johnson going to ever play another game in a UConn uniform? Is he hurt again?

Taking nothing away from how UConn played, Marquette just looked disjointed and tired. Very strange for a Shaka Smart team.

Great win and a needed win - the next game will not be easy. Creighton is starting to roll and is hard to beat at home. If UConn should pull off the victory Saturday they head into the last part of the schedule on a high.

Let's go Huskies

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyway, awesome game for this casual fan of 45 years (since the days of Corny Thompson and Mike Mckay) :)
The Dom Perno years. They were the best of times they were the worst of times…

You aren’t going to lose many games on you’ve got five guys in double figures. Fully agree that when Hawk goes off like that early in the gam, it takes the pressure off of everyone else and let them play loose.

Triple double for Newton again? Man with that kid is hot, he is red hot.

Karaban looked so comfortable and confident out there. And it was terrific to see Allenye put together a solid game. All we need now is for Clingan and Joey C. to rediscover that early-season magic.

Great game. It’s fun to watch one where we lead from wire to wire for a change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As the season winds down we have to up our made free throws percentage. Would hate for that to hold us back.
Teams are going to try and trap Newton at halfcourt like MQ did tonight and we have to be ready to solve that.
I would like Hurley to put Clingan down low and not have him at the 3 point line for most of our possessions.
Got a huge win tonight. Sets the stage for a great final rush till MSG.

Reaction Score
AJ locking Kolek BIG. Wish he had a true J not the flooter.Got to get the J right.
Team confused on defense too much. Terrible FT shooting from a team looking to go somewhere.
Need to play 2 Bigs to reach potential. What is it with DC FT shooting.
Always love your perspective Chief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom