Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition

Reaction Score
I do not see how you play the two big with Jackson on the floor.

You effectively have 3 guys out there who can’t really shoot from the perimeter. In that case teams will pack the inside.

You will have Hawk and Newton outside. Jackson left alone and the two bigs getting in each others way.
I would sit Jackson when Clingan and Sanogo are on floor at same time. Each time we have seen that lineup, Hurley has sat Jackson.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The double big debate begins and ends with personnel. A team needs at least three bigs to go double. UConn has two, leaving no one in reserve in case of foul trouble.

Karaban is a stretch 4 at best and is probably better suited for the 3, particularly defensively unless he can put on weight, which would probably affect the way he plays on the offensive end.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I would target 50 minutes combined. Currently, it is about a 26/14 minute split for 40 minutes. There is a reason why a good Big will have a higher shooting percentage than a guard. They tend to get better shots and more put backs. I consider those assets not liabilities. Over the years I have seen Double Big play very well together, if they clog the lane on defense it’s a good thing given our issues stopping penetration. On offense I have seen zero indication any of the theories fans put out there actually play out.

Back in the Calhoun days we used to call it gang rebounding and we always thought that was a positive. I really think it’s a miss opportunity when we have two very talented Bigs, that we don’t take advantage of the mismatches and dominant the game.

Clingan playing with Jackson on a good night are both game changers defensively. That rare to have two D game changers on the same team. Pared them with some shooters and good things will happen.

You’re trying to play 1995 basketball in 2023. It won’t work. They got their best win in months by not doing it. It’s a dumb, dead dream. But to be clear- really dumb.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
They have really only done it, two times that I remember, the Providence game and DePaul game. Both times I thought the team looked good in that lineup. Bigs do a lot more than score on offense. Their screens are equally important. While Clingan sets screen for shooter on perimeter , Sanogo can post up and the defender can’t help on both the shooter and Sanogo.

The only weakness I see of the double big is covering 4 3P shooters on defense. For teams like Seton Hall and St John’s that can’t shoot from perimeter I think this lineup would be fantastic.

The double big lineup would've had some struggles with the press Marquette put on last night.

Reaction Score
We are beginning to play better offense because we are penetrating much better with the dribble. Sanogo is playing in the high post much more which gives Newton more freedom on his drives. With the double big DC would be in the low block along with his defender clogging things up. And whose minutes are you suggesting should be reduced if we went with double bigs?

Reaction Score
Love Shaka's newest look with the long sleeve shirt under the polo shirt.

Absolutely screams Saturday morning rec ball coach for some 10 year olds.

We are far from the 80's hey day of coaches in the BE especially with Wright retiring but the BE has always had great coaches and personalities. Having Smart, Matta, Miller, McDermott, Cooley, and Hurley continues it. There's a ton of basketball knowledge in those coaches and they're coaches who love to coach.
It has a "slimming" effect -- maybe I should try it.

Reaction Score
You’re trying to play 1995 basketball in 2023. It won’t work. They got their best win in months by not doing it. It’s a dumb, dead dream. But to be clear- really dumb.
Teams win all the time today with a 7 footer and a 6-9 guy. Adama actually has good feet but expecting a guy to high hedge 23 feet out and protect the rim is impossible. True, you need shooters and a ball handler. But a double Big is just 2 of the five guys. So we got that covered too.

pj

Reaction Score
I would sit Jackson when Clingan and Sanogo are on floor at same time. Each time we have seen that lineup, Hurley has sat Jackson.

That's the right approach. But Jackson was down to 23 minutes against Marquette which I think is right for him. He's a great change of pace, the with-and-without playing styles are different. It's good to mix things up.

That leaves 17 minutes open for a double-big, which would satisfy Chief.

Reaction Score
Teams win all the time today with a 7 footer and a 6-9 guy. Adama actually has good feet but expecting a guy to high hedge 23 feet out and protect the rim is impossible. True, you need shooters and a ball handler. But a double Big is just 2 of the five guys. So we got that covered too.
I’d like to see a few minutes of Adama, Donovan, Tristen, Jordan, and Joey.

Reaction Score
Teams win all the time today with a 7 footer and a 6-9 guy. Adama actually has good feet but expecting a guy to high hedge 23 feet out and protect the rim is impossible.

Show me a team that’s winning with a steady diet of two guys over 6’9” on the floor who can’t operate away from the basket.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Love Shaka's newest look with the long sleeve shirt under the polo shirt.

Absolutely screams Saturday morning rec ball coach for some 10 year olds.
Maybe for you. The game before ours, he was wearing an all white short sleeve over a long sleeve pullover, and he looked like a barber. All he needed was a front pocket with a comb.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
As pointed out a problem with double bigs is foul trouble - a couple games back when DH played them both I was like eesh one more foul on either of them and we're looking at potential trouble.

This was a great game, guys back on form for the most part. As pointed out not the best FT% on the night but thankfully didn't cost us. Aside from Clingan who is a 50% shooter so far the other guys usually hit more and I'll chalk it up to an off night. This year Clingan's 50% rate isn't an issue - he's not at the line enough for 1-2pts to matter - but next year... I hope he can get to 70%.

Reaction Score
Show me a team that’s winning with a steady diet of two guys over 6’9” on the floor who can’t operate away from the basket.
Sanogo can operate away from the basket. Last time they played them together against DePaul, two times in 5 minutes he drove to the basket from the foul line and scored. He also can make the open 3P shot.

Reaction Score
Providence plays two bigs with Crosswell and Hopkins that do most of their scoring close the basket. Also, Sanogo is not really 6’9, more like 6’7

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Providence plays two bigs with Crosswell and Hopkins that do most of their scoring close the basket. Also, Sanogo is not really 6’9, more like 6’7
Providence also has Clifton Moore. UConn has a true backup for every position except the 4, where even the starter is undersized.

How long is the pro-two bigs crowd going to ignore that Hurley is not comfortable with the depth to put Sanogo and Clingan on the floor at the same time?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Hopkins is a wing, Sanogo is a center. Big difference.

Reaction Score
Providence also has Clifton Moore. UConn has a true backup for every position except the 4, where even the starter is undersized.

How long is the pro-two bigs crowd going to ignore that Hurley is not comfortable with the depth to put Sanogo and Clingan on the floor at the same time?
We have at least until the end of the season :)

Reaction Score

I agree it’s part of Danny’s transition from mid major to D1 coach. Transitions, if successful, are not always comfortable. If the journey was comfortable, that generally means the transition wasn’t successfully made. In mid majors it is not an option you have, so it is a learning curve.

pj

Reaction Score

If the depth problem is at the 4, playing the double big so Sanogo gets time at the 4 relieves the depth problem.

If the depth problem is at the 5, meaning you are afraid that Sanogo and Clingan may both foul out leaving the team without a center, then you are anticipating a much higher foul rate with the time at the 4. Currently Sanogo+Clingan as a pair are averaging fewer than 5 combined fouls per game in 40 minutes per game combined playing time. If the double big increases their playing time to 50 minutes, a 25% increase, you'd expect a combined 6.0 fouls per game, and very little chance of a dual foul out. If one fouls out, you just go back to the single big lineup we've been playing with.

So I don't understand why you think Hurley's concern is a depth concern. He just prefers Karaban to Sanogo at the 4, and prefers other guys to Karaban at the 3.

Reaction Score
That's the right approach. But Jackson was down to 23 minutes against Marquette which I think is right for him. He's a great change of pace, the with-and-without playing styles are different. It's good to mix things up.

That leaves 17 minutes open for a double-big, which would satisfy Chief.
I think the reality is Jackson plays 25-33 minutes against any team with a big time shooting guard or swing man scorer.

Reaction Score
"Pair them with shooters and good things will happen".....exactly the point here. Playing those two with Sanogo means you have only two shooters tops on the floor at the same time. Two bigs with a wing who can't shoot is not a recipe for a good offense.

Gang rebounding has nothing to do with two bigs and more to do with making sure everyone on the team - especially guards - goes after it. Basic stuff.

Centers tend to have higher percentages not because they're shooting "better" shots, but because they're shooting from closer in. Not going to go through the whole 3 v 2 pointer thing and why a higher fg % isn't necessarily indicative of a more productive offensive player (though I do agree UConn has become too reliant sometimes on the three ball, it's fundamental basketball analytics here - and they looked good from downtown last night).

None of that really addresses what I was saying earlier though. Do you think DC is up for it conditioning wise playing that many minutes? What happens when they're in foul trouble? Who are you playing around them to create any sort of offensive spacing? Outside one or two nice passes (AS last night!), what from either big has shown you that they should be running a high/low post offense?
As to who comes in if AS and DC get into foul trouble, we have SJ and RS on the bench getting no time. Sort of like Deberry on the women's team.
Why have RS on the roster for four years if you don't play him? Every time I've seen him in the few minutes he's been allowed on the floor he looks like he knows how to play so it makes me wonder what he's doing on the team or what he's failing to do in practice.

Reaction Score
Who do you give the ball to late in the shot clock to either drive to the rim or drive and dish? Hawkins can shoot the lights out but he is not the guy. He almost saved the game yesterday with a clutch shot. It just doesn't seem like the team has a guy who wants to drive to hoop on a consistent basis

pj

Reaction Score
Who do you give the ball to late in the shot clock to either drive to the rim or drive and dish? Hawkins can shoot the lights out but he is not the guy. He almost saved the game yesterday with a clutch shot. It just doesn't seem like the team has a guy who wants to drive to hoop on a consistent basis

It should be Newton, looking to feed Hawkins or Karaban on the perimeter, Sanogo or Clingan down low, or drive to get a foul if he has the right lane, or pull up for a midrange jumper if none of the other options work.

But it seems like Newton has been barred from the midrange jumper, he's lost confidence with driving to the basket due to not scoring and not getting foul calls, and with Jackson's man leaving him the passing lanes to perimeter shooters haven't been open. Maybe Hawkins and Karaban are not strong enough to get themselves free. Something has been wrong. The coach needs to figure this out.

Reaction Score
As to who comes in if AS and DC get into foul trouble, we have SJ and RS on the bench getting no time. Sort of like Deberry on the women's team.
Why have RS on the roster for four years if you don't play him? Every time I've seen him in the few minutes he's been allowed on the floor he looks like he knows how to play so it makes me wonder what he's doing on the team or what he's failing to do in practice.
I agree with you, I wouldn’t mind seeing SJ or RS in there, but I don’t think DH trusts them to see meaningful minutes for whatever reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom