Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition

Reaction Score
Next game start both Clingan and Sanogo. Jackson is the starting PG with Newton coming off the bench. Get your best players on the court. Don’t be a prisoner of failed rotations.

When you have a formula that works game night, it is coaching malpractice not to use it until it doesn’t work. Tonight was a twenty point win that wasn’t.

Stubbornness is never good. What more of a case does Clingan have to make to get 25-30 minutes every game. There’s no excuse for that not to consistently happen based on results. And icing him on the bench doesn’t always mean a repeat performance later in the game.

One striking difference between Sanogo and Clingan was Adama’s 4 first half turnovers vs. zero for Donovan. While Donovan had 4 blocks vs 1 for Adama. Why not play more of the lineup that built the lead? Instead Danny inexplicitly changes things up when he didn’t need to.

I am tired of letting our opponents set the match-ups, let’s play Double Big 10+ minutes a game and let them match up to us. In the second half no excuse for Sanogo not playing with Donovan. Danny has Sanogo playing defense 25 feet away from the hoop anyways.

I thought Jackson played fairly well tonight. Great defense and pretty good offense. He made plays for teammates but had some turnovers too. Karaban did not have a muscle guy to defend, so he was able to play his game and played very well. Marquette did a great job taking Hawkins’ game away. Turnovers killed us and Marquette converted them into points.

Message to Dan Hurley, Newton is NOT a point guard. Time to go a different direction.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes. Point guard play has been very disappointing. Center play, especially backup center play, amazingly good. Got to get the best players on the court even if it means ugly play at times.

Danny as a former point guard may not like playing that way, but it seems to be the toughest lineup for the opponents to handle.

They also need to figure out how to put Hawkins in position to succeed. He's not playing up to his potential.

Reaction Score
The bench Gs were no shows again so while I don’t see Newton getting benched Hurley needs to at least TAKE HIM OFF THE BALL and let AJ run the point.
He's not really scoring either.

Reaction Score
Next game start both Clingan and Sanogo. Jackson is the starting PG with Newton coming off the bench. Get your best players on the court. Don’t be a prisoner of failed rotations.

When you have a formula that works game night, it is coaching malpractice not to use it until it doesn’t work. Tonight was a twenty point win that wasn’t.

Stubbornness is never good. What more of a case does Clingan have to make to get 25-30 minutes every game. There’s no excuse for that not to consistently happen based on results. And icing him on the bench doesn’t always mean a repeat performance later in the game.

One striking difference between Sanogo and Clingan was Adama’s 4 first half turnovers vs. zero for Donovan. While Donovan had 4 blocks vs 1 for Adama. Why not play more of the lineup that built the lead? Instead Danny inexplicitly changes things up when he didn’t need to.

I am tired of letting our opponents set the match-ups, let’s play Double Big 10+ minutes a game and let them match up to us. In the second half no excuse for Sanogo not playing with Donovan. Danny has Sanogo playing defense 25 feet away from the hoop anyways.

I thought Jackson played fairly well tonight. Great defense and pretty good offense. He made plays for teammates but had some turnovers too. Karaban did not have a muscle guy to defend, so he was able to play his game and played very well. Marquette did a great job taking Hawkins’ game away. Turnovers killed us and Marquette converted them into points.

Message to Dan Hurley, Newton is NOT a point guard. Time to go a different direction.
I did not like Jackson today. Tentative, slowed us down, and won’t attack the rim. Hawkins no show. I’m surprised it was that close. Time outs were poor also.

Reaction Score

check out second half scoring vs our opponents in our 3 losses: 129-99. WTF. We are getting beat in the second half. This should not happen. We have the bench. Defense is supposed to be our identity. Instead the other team is able to reach a 5th gear and we don’t. Disgusted. Tonight Marquette scored 49 points in the 2nd. Ridiculous

Reaction Score
These games are lost in the off season

Good teams can take away our offense, because for whatever reason Hurley refuses to bring in guards that can drive to the basket and dish or score off the glass.
Teams get in our shirts on the perimeter and dare us to go by them and we can't because we don't have that guard. Ours just keep backing up, hoping they stop bothering them. There is no room for our shooters to shoot.

It is not enough to bring in great shooters. You need guards that can break down a defense.

Imagine a penetrating guard drawing defenders, dumping it off to our outstanding big men, or kicking out for open 3's instead of the rushed 3's we take now when we get a crevice to shoot in.

Reaction Score
What I observed.
1. We don't have a true point guard. AJax is the next best thing.
2. This was the perfect game for DC in terms of matchups.
3. In big east play AS is not deserving of player of the year.
4. By now, I am sure the scouts are more interested in DC than AS.
5. The offense flows so much better when DC is in.
6. DC is a much better rim protector than AS.
7. JH needs to learn how to create his own shot without having screens set for him.
8. Still a good team that needs to learn how to win on the road. This is a game that we should have won

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Good things happen when Sanogo and Clingan are on the floor at the same time. Hurley’s just too stupid to see it.

Reaction Score

What about Sanogo’s game tonight could possibly make you think playing 2 bigs is the answer? He had 5 turnovers tonight. Put him at the 4 with Clingan and he might have7 or 8 turnovers and Marquette’s four would have eaten him up.

Reaction Score
What about Sanogo’s game tonight could possibly make you think playing 2 bigs is the answer? He had 5 turnovers tonight. Put him at the 4 with Clingan and he might have7 or 8 turnovers and Marquette’s four would have eaten him up.
They were swarming Adama. The answer is more traffic and a closer extra defender, obviously.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom