Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition

Reaction Score
I have the same opinion: you can't win a big game when you are playing 5 vs. 4 on offence. Jackson can shoot free throws. He has to at a minimum take the ball to the hoop and try to force a layup, otherwise, you just bring him in on defense.
True. But every time he starts to drive he is always looking to pass. He is very passive on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
The problem is Andre's man gets to sag 20 feet off him and sit in the paint. That leaves no room for drives. If ANY team we play going forward doesn't sag off Jackson like Creighton did should fire their coaching staff.
It would be nice if both Newton and moreso Hawkins would drive and then pull up for the mid-range shot more in a game where they can't get to the hoop because of the sagging defense. Newton did that early on but then abandoned it to defer to Jackson all game. LOL!

Reaction Score
Creighton fouls less than anyone in the country. A -9 pt FT differential at Creighton isn’t really noteworthy.

Reaction Score
True. But every time he starts to drive he is always looking to pass. He is very passive on the offensive end.
Yes, he has to be looking to score instead of passing inside; his inside passes are often uncontrollable by the intended receiver.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Ok Andre 3 for 11 but how many shots were contested?
Defenders slack off.
Newton only had 2 pts. Karaban, Jackson and Newton only 13 pts combined.
Poor guard play costs us on the road.
Inability to drive to the hoop. We never get to the line.
If you're not making your shots drive and see if you can score from the foul line.
We are 8- 7, on top of the bottom half of the BE.

Reaction Score
Yeah, bc Jackson’s defender was clogging the lanes. Tough to get open when there’s an extra defender playing a one man zone.
So Jackson’s man was covering the other four guards all at once - wow.

Reaction Score
@Chief00 I’m not usually a Double Bigs guy, but the second half today screamed Double Bigs. Sanogo and Clingan were both playing with high energy and Sanogo was showcasing his perimeter game. Seemed like a great opportunity.
The Double Big would have changed everything today and opened things up for our guards.

Reaction Score
So Jackson’s man was covering the other four guards all at once - wow.
I will agree with you that Newton did Andre no favors by constantly deferring the ball on offense. Andre is at his best during the 2nd chance plays or scramble drills.

Newton was giving him the ball with 20 seconds on the clock and having him run the offense. It didn't work. And it's also why coached benched Newton down the stretch. He was uninterested this game.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to address Andre’s shooting. When they use his man to double, he should seldom be in the position to take bad shots. He controls where he is on the court and if he’s not comfortable shooting there, he should go where he is. Personally, I would like to see him on the baseline around the basket. Also, at the foul line but take a foul shot not a floater. He can make foul shots. Also he can shoot 3’s from two spots, so in the glow of the game he should do that.
If we had double bigs I would love to run him off that for drives.
Chief, one thing you fail to mention is that ill-advised 3 from Andre with a few minutes left. I know Alex should never have thrown that skip pass to Dre, but all Andre needed to do was shot fake and his man would have either jumped into him (he was running at Andre) or Andre would have had a clear baseline drive for a dunk. He just isn’t playing smart basketball.

Reaction Score
The problem is Andre's man gets to sag 20 feet off him and sit in the paint. That leaves no room for drives. If ANY team we play going forward doesn't sag off Jackson like Creighton did should fire their coaching staff.
I would take it a step further. If im coaching the other team I literally won’t guard him like at all. Just have play a 1 man zone at the free throw line and either double hawk off curls or double Sanogo, or clog Newton’s lane to drive.

Reaction Score
I would take it a step further. If im coaching the other team I literally won’t guard him like at all. Just have play a 1 man zone at the free throw line and either double hawk off curls or double Sanogo, or clog Newton’s lane to drive.
We control where Andre plays. We need his offensive rebounding, so Ibwoukd play him on the baseline.

Poe

Reaction Score
Andre was a huge liability today. The bad is starting to outweigh the good, which does not bode well. He needs to just take the ball early in the game and try to dunk it, I don’t care if he ends up with a charge, it’s better than the garbage he’s been putting up.

Tristan disappeared today. Was not aggressive and didn’t take it to the rim once. Seemed like he was afraid of kalk blocking his shot or something.

Thanks Adama for keeping us in the game.

Reaction Score
Sorry Chief but your too much personally connected to AJ. Take your blinders off.
Chief has it right. It's easy to blame Jackson. But the stats are not lying. His shooting was as good or better than Alleyne, Newton, Hawk and Joey. While also grabbing good boards and being disruptive. He was NOT the reason we lost.

Reaction Score
Need a better game from Newton.

2pts, 4 assists in 26 minutes. He plays better and we win.

at least Kenpom didn't punish us - our rating is basically exactly the same.

Reaction Score
Your insistence on double bigs is wild, even Jim Jackson made the point during the broadcast that UConn couldn’t do that in this type of matchup. Then McDermott during the broadcast says: “we’re getting them to take the shots we want them to take.” Allow Jackson to shoot 11 times sure was what he wanted. When Hurley gets in these tight games against good coaches, he just hasn’t proven he can break through.

Reaction Score
Chief, Andre is my favorite Husky but Hurley has to revamp our offense when he is in the game. McDermit was miked up basically saying that him and Sanogo shooting was what they wanted. I don’t know what the plan will be but we have to adapt to Andre’s offensive deficiencies shooting and driving.

Reaction Score
Chief has it right. It's easy to blame Jackson. But the stats are not lying. His shooting was as good or better than Alleyne, Newton, Hawk and Joey. While also grabbing good boards and being disruptive. He was NOT the reason we lost.
I am not claiming he is the reason we lost. However, as I sound like a broken record, playing 5 on 4 is not a good recipe.

Reaction Score
When Hurley gets in these tight games against good coaches, he just hasn’t proven he can break through.
And the good coaches are beginning to key in on this too.

It’s tough when you have a “liability” as the head coach.

Mind blowing stuff today from dopey Dan.

Reaction Score
This is so simple its strange that certain Andre Jackson homers can't see it. Jackson has it some games, and others he is borderline unplayable on the offensive end. Hurley lost us this game when he didn't sub out Dre down the home stretch (about the 6 minute mark). We had a number of consecutive bad possessions as a result. When Jackson has it going he is truly a special player - but when he doesn't he will lose us games. It's on the coach to realize which version we have night in and night out, and make the substitutions needed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom