Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Creighton Edition

pj

Reaction Score
Do we employ an analytics guy who actually talks to the players? It's not just Jackson, seems Newton and Hawkins also repeatedly shoot from areas where they suck and eschew the areas where they're actually effective. For instance, none of us should really have major issues with AJax taking a three from the right corner. And we should get on Hawkins for trying to shoot from the left corner.

Yeah, "small sample size" applies, but compiling 80 games worth of data isn't possible, so it's what we've got.

View attachment 84030

Great post. Not enough likes. Replying just to give it more attention.

Reaction Score
Jackson’s problems is pretty complex I think. i don’t think he knows how to shoot a jumper. That push shot he uses from 8 feet and out looks like it came from a 1940 game film or a 5th grade game.

But people being surprised with his play is strange too. This has been his game since he first put on a UConn uniform. Teams have been daring him to shoot since the end of his freshman year. They’ve just gotten less worried about him the more they know him.

Reaction Score
I know your blind to Jackson's weaknesses like coach but you can't write up this up without mentioning the black hole Jackson is on offense.

Creighton leaves him open 20 feet in all directions and it clogs up our offense downlow. It's painful.
And he STILL (coach, where are you?) tries to block his opponents' threes with his highwire act.......leaving him defenseless to box out the shooter for an unimpeded path to an offensive rebound.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Andre shot better today than 3 of our guards.
Jackson 3-11
Newton 1-4
Joey C 0-2
Alleyne 1-6
And Hawkins shot a few % better at 3-13
The backcourt did not do their jobs.

C'mon Chief, they weren't guarding AJ

How do you think any of the players you listed would shoot if they were left unguarded? :)

Good write-up, I enjoy your takes

Reaction Score
Agreed but here’s the thing. If the only way for Jackson to play offense is to be in the low post, because until he’s there he doesn’t require being guarded, that means Sanogo is outside a lot in which case why aren’t we playing the two bigs together.
@Brochacho nailed it in another thread.

It’s why personnel packages matter.

Jackson’s strengths pair better with DC, JC, AK.

Reaction Score
We were fortunate Creighton didn't exploit this more because there were a few instances where Sanogo was up high and Kalkbrenner was all by himself low in the paint and we could have been burned badly had they gotten the ball to him. Coach Hurley and company need to really take a look at this because it will cost us dearly if we don't fix it.
Normally I’d agree, but Nembhard was looking for Kalk on the hedges. It’s hard to make the pass when you have a 6’5 guy and Sanogo in front of you, compared to last year when it was 5’11 RJ Cole

Kalk had a weak game. I don’t think Hurley specifically game planned against him, but whatever they were doing was working. Defense was great yesterday, everybody not named Trey Alexander had a miserable game

Defense is not one of the top 5 reasons we lost

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Jackson’s problems is pretty complex I think. i don’t think he knows how to shoot a jumper. That push shot he uses from 8 feet and out looks like it came from a 1940 game film or a 5th grade game.

But people being surprised with his play is strange too. This has been his game since he first put on a UConn uniform. Teams have been daring him to shoot since the end of his freshman year. They’ve just gotten less worried about him the more they know him.

Andre Jackson is one of the best players in college basketball. Period. Look at any metric system.

If you don't get it, the problem isn't him. Its you.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.6 KB · Views: 93
Reaction Score
Andre Jackson is one of the best players in college basketball. Period. Look at any metric system.

1. That’s an old list
2. Keep reminding the rest of us who watch the games how amazing he is as this team, which the stats still also love, finishes 6th in the BE
3. This is why statistics don’t tell the whole story. If you watched Jackson yesterday, or even over the last month, and think he’s one of the 10 best players in college ball then I don’t know what to say. “But the stats!” Is not the flex you think it is when it’s obvious he’s struggling

Reaction Score
Jackson 3-11
Newton 1-4
Joey C 0-2
Alleyne 1-6
You point out the issue with our O. shooters are going to have off days. You need to have an offense when shoots aren’t falling.

We don’t. That’s a major problem.

If we have to shot 50% from 3 in order to win we aren’t going very far in March

zls44

Reaction Score
1. That’s an old list
2. Keep reminding the rest of us who watch the games how amazing he is as this team, which the stats still also love, finishes 6th in the BE
3. This is why statistics don’t tell the whole story. If you watched Jackson yesterday, or even over the last month, and think he’s one of the 10 best players in college ball then I don’t know what to say. “But the stats!” Is not the flex you think it is when it’s obvious he’s struggling

You're right. That list is ancient. It dates back 40 minutes.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.1 KB · Views: 90
Reaction Score
if I were coaching AJ’s minutes would be down and he wouldn’t be in when we’re behind late in the game and need to score.
This is exactly what happened in the Marquette game. Maybe it was just because of fouls but AJ was out when we were behind Late and only came back once we we ahead to close out the game

Reaction Score

If he’s the 12th best player in college I look forward to him being a lottery pick in 2023

Reaction Score
1. That’s an old list
I’m assuming zls44 was being sarcastic. As the saying goes:Liars, damned liars, and statisticians. Nobody who has watched this team would say Jackson is one of the best players in the country.

zls44

Reaction Score
I’m assuming zls44 was being sarcastic. As the saying goes:Liars, damned liars, and statisticians. Nobody who has watched this team would say Jackson is one of the best players in the country.

You're right. All the computer systems who see him and compare him to the 2300+ players in college basketball and 362 other teams must be wrong. Its all a big coincidence.

The reason I defer to statistics is because this sport is so dang big that NOBODY watches everyone. Most folks only watch their own teams. The computers don't. They look at everyone.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Normally I’d agree, but Nembhard was looking for Kalk on the hedges. It’s hard to make the pass when you have a 6’5 guy and Sanogo in front of you, compared to last year when it was 5’11 RJ Cole

Kalk had a weak game. I don’t think Hurley specifically game planned against him, but whatever they were doing was working. Defense was great yesterday, everybody not named Trey Alexander had a miserable game

Defense is not one of the top 5 reasons we lost
And Alexander made three of his shots deep into the clock with a defender all over him! ughh

Reaction Score
And Alexander made three of his shots deep into the clock with a defender all over him! ughh
Yep, 5 first half points on miracle prayers after 30 seconds of perfect team defense, and 3 in the second half on a heat check 3 draped by Karaban. Very frustrating!

Reaction Score
Don't know about the stats, but I can say without question that Dre still hasnt got a jumper, mid-range, or back to the basket game. He literally has the worst mechanics in college basketball. Other teams see the same stats and still let him shoot. How does that compute?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jackson 3-11
Newton 1-4
Joey C 0-2
Alleyne 1-6
It’s not just that, he threw the ball away over and over again. Just awful decisions that led to bad shots by him or others. He has to touch the ball less. It’s what got Newton going and today it was in Jackson’s hands all day. Can I live with it if he erases a key scorer on defense and rebounds well? Yes. But today he reverted to the lousy defense he played during our losing streak, gambling, over committing, losing track of his man altogether. Didn’t block out either, his man had 9 boards.

Nobody but Sanogo and Clingan was good today. Clingan has to start making shots in close. 2-5 from point blank range isn’t good. But he rebounded and defended well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Partly because the refs were letting the D clutch and grab Hawkins, and partly because we almost never run plays for Karaban.
True, but we do set some screens for Karaban, he’s just too slow coming off them and they get to him in time. Alex is going to be best when the ball is moving and he gets catch and shoot chances. Inside out game works well for him. But he’s not a mystery anymore, nobody is leaving him wide open the way they did earlier.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agreed but here’s the thing. If the only way for Jackson to play offense is to be in the low post, because until he’s there he doesn’t require being guarded, that means Sanogo is outside a lot in which case why aren’t we playing the two bigs together.
Yep. And this is why I think Hurley said Sanogo needed to shoot more. 4 out now means Jackson is the one in. Unfortunately he was outside with the ball far too often.

Reaction Score
All the chatter from opposing fans, opposing benches, and our own fanbase has gotten to Jackson’s head. He’s rattled. Doesn’t know if he’s supposed to shoot or not when he has twenty feet of space. I am sure he thinks he can make it at decent rate but he’s worried about the downside if he misses.

It’s impacting his passing, his fouling, his dribbling too. Has the yips. I think he needs just play the role of intermittent defensive hustle off the bench until the hysteria dies down and teams stop game planning around him in our starting five. His play and the scheme to hang back from him was a main reason we lost yesterday.

Reaction Score
Jackson had 2 dunks and one running floater in the lane. So his 3 for 11 was actually 0 for 8 from elsewhere. YUK

Reaction Score
You're right. All the computer systems who see him and compare him to the 2300+ players in college basketball and 362 other teams must be wrong. Its all a big coincidence.

The reason I defer to statistics is because this sport is so dang big that NOBODY watches everyone. Most folks only watch their own teams. The computers don't. They look at everyone.
I think these statistical rankings make people feel good, but if you honestly watched the games and think he is the 12 th best player in the country, I don’t know what to tell you. He isn’t the best on his own team and isn’t in the top 12 in the New Big East. Have you seen his shot? Have you seen the way teams defend him, or don’t bother? Who are you going to believe, some computer program or your own eyes?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom