Chief’s Briefs - Cornell Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cornell Edition

C

Chief00

Last season this would have been a nailbiter. So Danny Hurley is making actual progress with mostly the same players.

Chief would like to see more touches on each possession and more looks into the post. When you are trying very hard to get commitments from Bigs more Bigs touches would only help recruiting and also current game results.

Guards are still over-penetrating at times and doing too much 1x1 stuff.

After some rough patches Chief thought the defense was pretty good.

Polley played well and of all the players, Smith and Polley probably max their minutes in the Hurley system compared to how they would do in other systems.

Cobb got off to a slow start and never really got in the flow of the game. It would be nice if we could develop some consistency with Eric after some positive signs a few days ago.

Danny was hoping Jalen would start stronger too and while he had a pretty decent game - he started slow.

When Chief talks about over penetrating, some of Gilbert’s drives come to mind. I recognize he will always be a little dude going up against bigger guys but he needs to be better assessing the situation and not over penetrating so much. That usually ends in turnovers, missed shots and occasional fouls followed by less than stellar foul shooting. There was one play that was a 1 on 3 break and Gilbert still forced the issue when he should have pulled it out. Chief loves putting the pressure on the defense but some discretion is needed at times. Having said all this, Chief likes Gilbert. Just coaching him up.

Vital played pretty well and gave an all round good effort. Josh improved from last week but still has work to do on the boards. He did have one in traffic rebound where he was a pretty tough dude.

It’s unclear to me if Chief should call out the recruits at the game - so I will leave that part out.

C

Chief00

i thought jalen was great in this game.

cobb would have played more if he didn't get beat off of back-door cuts every single time he was on the floor. it was a bad match-up for him. i wouldn't write off the development yet.
It’s the Ivy League - that’s what they do - back cuts.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Loved it when UConn had a couple of cruddy offensive sets in the second half and Cornell hit back to back three's.

Immediate TO from Hurley to stem the flow. Ollie would have let that become a 15-0 run before getting off his chair.

Reaction Score

Agree 100%. The passing and ball movement has regressed a bit from first couple games. We can get away with it vs. inferior competition (like tonight); but we'll get our clock cleaned vs. tougher teams if we lean too much on hero-ball.

Reaction Score
Last season this would have been a nailbiter. So Danny Hurley is making actual progress with mostly the same players.

Chief would like to see more touches on each possession and more looks into the post. When you are trying very hard to get commitments from Bigs more Bigs touches would only help recruiting and also current game results.

Polley played well and of all the players, Smith and Polley probably max their minutes in the Hurley system compared to how they would do in other systems.

Cobb got off to a slow start and never really got in the flow of the game. It would be nice if we could develop some consistency with Eric after some positive signs a few days ago.

Danny was hoping Jalen would start stronger too and while he had a pretty decent game - he started slow.

When Chief talks about over penetrating, some of Gilbert’s drives come to mind. I recognize he will always be a little dude going up against bigger guys but he needs to be better assessing the situation and not over penetrating so much. That usually ends in turnovers, missed shots and occasional fouls followed by less than stellar foul shooting. There was one play that was a 1 on 3 break and Gilbert still forced the issue when he should have pulled it out. Chief loves putting the pressure on the defense but some discretion is needed at times. Having said all this, Chief likes Gilbert. Just coaching him up.

Vital played pretty well and gave an all round good effort. Josh improved from last week but still has work to do on the boards. He did have one in traffic rebound where he was a pretty tough dude.

It’s unclear to me if Chief should call out the recruits at the game - so I will leave that part out.

Tough game for the bigs to play in. I admit that I was having Columbia flashbacks during the first half. In the end, UConn wore them down. I am looking forward to the debuts of Diarra and Wilson. It will be cool to see the team at full strength.

Reaction Score
Hurley called the timeout in the first and the team immediately played better D. Increased the pressure on the ball-handlers so they couldn't make the passes to the cutters.

Glad Hurley is able to both identify the issue and communicate the solution well enough to fix it.

Reaction Score
Chief sees Diarra and Yakwe as being somewhat similar. It will be interesting who takes those minutes. My guess is Diarra.

Agreed. I assume that Wilson cuts into Polley's time.

Reaction Score

I was disappointed Carlton didn't get more touches. He had a great size advantage and has proven himself capable of scoring in the post against smaller defenders.

Chief sees Diarra and Yakwe as being somewhat similar. It will be interesting who takes those minutes. My guess is Diarra.

Gotta be Diarra. We need him to develop. He brought great energy last year too. Haven't really seen that from Yakwe, though he did have a nice block this game.

C

Chief00

I was disappointed Carlton didn't get more touches. He had a great size advantage and has proven himself capable of scoring in the post against smaller .

I haven’t seen many designed post plays. Every successful program needs some well designed post plays.

Reaction Score
They c
Agreed. I assume that Wilson cuts into Polley's time.
an play “bigger” small ball with Sid and ty. The combos on the floor will really offer coach lots if options sans a glass cleaning 7 footer.

Reaction Score

I believe Mr. Chief00 posted in the notes against Iowa that Kwintin Williams should get more playing time up front . . . . . . . . . In fact, I'm almost sure he did, but I want to hear his dirty little mouth admit it.

C

Chief00

KW should get more playing time.
Against good teams Kwintin is one of the few guys physical enough to rebound. I thought we should have used him against Iowa. In that same paragraph I say: “True, he will miss assignments too often”. LOL, @Report Card leaves that out in a clumsy attempt to make a disingenuous point. Thats what holds him back with Danny- not knowing his assignments. Danny is a coach’s son - he has a thing about a guy missing assignments.

Last edited by a moderator:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It’s the Ivy League - that’s what they do - back cuts.
It's designed to offset over aggressive defenses so something Uconn ought to consider themselves. Makes defenses pay who don't keep this in mind.

Reaction Score
Jalen was good but not great. If you call him great you then take away the fact he started out of control on many possessions and just didn't take care of the ball. He certainly got away with 2-3 possessions where he was caught in the air but somehow got the ball to one of our own but luckily I will add. The fact he had no plan on this possessions are exactly what we do not need from him and AG. AG, well wow I don't have time to discuss the bad decisions and possessions I have along ride now.

They won albeit against a weak team but good news a team they would've gone to the buzzer with last year not sure which way either. Smith may be the factor in that change as well as Polley and Adams last 30 minutes. But there's a long way to go as we saw yet again and AG needs to get much smarter with the ball and JA needs to always be smarter with the ball.

4-1 all good.

Reaction Score
Against good teams Kwintin is one of the few guys physical enough to rebound. I thought we should have used him against Iowa. In that same paragraph I say: “True, he will miss assignments too often”. LOL, @Report Card leaves that out in a clumsy attempt to make a disingenuous point. Thats what holds him back with Danny- not knowing his assignments. Danny is a coach’s son - he has a thing about a guy missing assignments.

Can't be much worse than yakwe. Yakwe has 0 awareness while he is playing.

Reaction Score
Sorry to veer a bit, I must say, ...sometimes people have a chip on their shoulder. Casting weight on these young men is not fair and tiresome....media please take notice. Look forward. ..sorry, had to say it. It’s a new day, new year, new coach, and a new season. Let’s help these young men be as successful as they can be.

Reaction Score
Too many fouls for us. silly fouls a lot of times.
Gilbert tries to force it into traffic. he has to pick his spots better.
Adams and Smith looked good, Polley had a decent game along with Vital. I wasn't impressed even with us scoring 90 and winning by 20. best player on the court was Morgan for Cornell and by a lot.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
I noticed that too - immediate feedback - and problem solving

I enjoyed when after we let up on the defensive end for a few possessions, Jalen took a questionable three (he made it), Hurley called a time out right after.

He didn’t just let the boys keep slacking on defense and making questionable shots on offense. He stopped the game, made his corrections.

After that timeout we went on a 13-2 run and set the pace for the rest of the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom