Chief’s Briefs - Cornell Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cornell Edition

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Diarra at full health should take all of Yakwe’s minutes outside of immense foul trouble.

Sid gives us the ability to go big and play him at the 3. I assume he’ll take minutes from Polley and a combination of Tarin Smith and Vital.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Diarra at full health should take all of Yakwe’s minutes outside of immense foul trouble.

Sid gives us the ability to go big and play him at the 3. I assume he’ll take minutes from Polley and a combination of Tarin Smith and Vital.

Why do people think this? Sid is yet to prove he is this good at basketball. Let him come back and see what happens.

Reaction Score
Against good teams Kwintin is one of the few guys physical enough to rebound. I thought we should have used him against Iowa. In that same paragraph I say: “True, he will miss assignments too often”. LOL, @Report Card leaves that out in a clumsy attempt to make a disingenuous point. Thats what holds him back with Danny- not knowing his assignments. Danny is a coach’s son - he has a thing about a guy missing assignments.

And the 40 fouls hed average per game. Just had THREE FOULS in 3 minutes against ivy league third stringers

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why do people think this? Sid is yet to prove he is this good at basketball. Let him come back and see what happens.

Because he certainly isn't going to see time at the 4 against anything but very small teams. So either he plays the 3 or he doesn't play at all. I suppose that's an option, but I suspect it's more likely that Polley, Vital and maybe Smith lose some minutes. I expect that Jalen and Al will lose some minutes, so that what Smith and Vital lose is spread out a bit. Polley will still see time at the 4, as will Diarra. Cobb looks like the backup to Carlton at this point, and when Diarra is back I don't think he gets much time at the 4.

Once we have Sid and Diarra, I hope and expect that Hurley will turn up the defensive pressure to another level. We are too thin for that right now.

Reaction Score
Because he certainly isn't going to see time at the 4 against anything but very small teams. So either he plays the 3 or he doesn't play at all. I suppose that's an option, but I suspect it's more likely that Polley, Vital and maybe Smith lose some minutes. I expect that Jalen and Al will lose some minutes, so that what Smith and Vital lose is spread out a bit. Polley will still see time at the 4, as will Diarra. Cobb looks like the backup to Carlton at this point, and when Diarra is back I don't think he gets much time at the 4.

Once we have Sid and Diarra, I hope and expect that Hurley will turn up the defensive pressure to another level. We are too thin for that right now.
You think so? We've played Brendan Adams at the 4 in some of these games, and Polley, who is rain thin and not much taller than Wilson, is our starter at that position. I feel like Wilson is going to play the majority of his minutes at the 4.

Reaction Score

Yes, Chief's equating Diarra and Yakwe is the most total undervaluation of Diarra to date. We need someone to put together a Diarra highlight reel from last year. How soon we forget!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You think so? We've played Brendan Adams at the 4 in some of these games, and Polley, who is rain thin and not much taller than Wilson, is our starter at that position. I feel like Wilson is going to play the majority of his minutes at the 4.

Polly is a body builder compared to Sid. Taller and heavier. Brendan Adams is heavier than either or them. And yes, B. Adams played against tiny teams with 6'5" centers. That will be ending soon and it's a luxury we won't be able to afford.

We saw against Syracuse that Hurley went with bigger lineups. He had to. It was also our best game. It will be situational.

C

Chief00

Polly is a body builder compared to Sid. Taller and heavier. Brendan Adams is heavier than either or them. And yes, B. Adams played against tiny teams with 6'5" centers. That will be ending soon and it's a luxury we won't be able to afford.

We saw against Syracuse that Hurley went with bigger lineups. He had to. It was also our best game. It will be situational.

Just thinking of Polley as a body builder - but his dad was a NFL LB, so those genes are hidden somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Yes, Chief's equating Diarra and Yakwe is the most total undervaluation of Diarra to date. We need someone to put together a Diarra highlight reel from last year. How soon we forget!

I am not undervaluing Diarra, my point is they are battling for the same minutes in Hurley’s System. I to prefer a healthy Diarra. However, at 40,000 feet they both have the same issues - lack of size to be a banger and lack of offense to be a stretch.

C

Chief00

And the 40 fouls hed average per game. Just had THREE FOULS in 3 minutes against ivy league third stringers
That goes to being late on assignments, not paying attention to detail and absorbing coaching. All things Chief has covered many times, especially when the casual fans got carried away with his First Night dunks.

Reaction Score
I'm a little confused as to why we didn't feed our bigs more in the paint. Seems to me we could have gotten 15 pts each out of Carlton and Cobb if we made an effort to.. Startng to wonder what their role will be outside of setting screens then running in to rebound on the offensive end. I prefer not to live and die by how hot we are on the arc. Early on Carlton was working hard and presenting but not getting the ball. The passes they did get were not great. The guards are athletic enough to win a slightly sloppy track meet against Cornell every night but we need to be more balanced against better competition.

Reaction Score
I like Polley getting 28 minutes and if he can do it defensively even better because I think he has great offensive potential. He looks very improved over last year and if he can get 20 more pounds on we really have something.

Reaction Score
Jalen was good but not great. If you call him great you then take away the fact he started out of control on many possessions and just didn't take care of the ball. He certainly got away with 2-3 possessions where he was caught in the air but somehow got the ball to one of our own but luckily I will add. The fact he had no plan on this possessions are exactly what we do not need from him and AG. AG, well wow I don't have time to discuss the bad decisions and possessions I have along ride now.

They won albeit against a weak team but good news a team they would've gone to the buzzer with last year not sure which way either. Smith may be the factor in that change as well as Polley and Adams last 30 minutes. But there's a long way to go as we saw yet again and AG needs to get much smarter with the ball and JA needs to always be smarter with the ball.

4-1 all good.
I agree with your analysis entirely especially about Jalen and AG. Let's see if they can fine tune their games as the season goes on. Jalen certainly got baled out a few times in the first half. We'll take the nice win and move on.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn out-rebounded Cornell 35-29, including 11-7 on offense. They are 4-0 when out rebounding their opponent. UConn couldn't out-rebound a team with Spud Webb, Mugsy Bogues, Earl Boykins, and Isaiah Thomas last year.

The Box score shows zero box outs though. That's not encouraging...(okay, @mauconnfan Last time I do that. Promise!...or not...)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn had the game pretty well in control in the second half. I would have liked to see Williams get more than 3 minutes of garbage time.

Reaction Score
i thought jalen was great in this game.

cobb would have played more if he didn't get beat off of back-door cuts every single time he was on the floor. it was a bad match-up for him. i wouldn't write off the development yet.
There was a play in the first half where Jalen stole the ball in the lane and was out on a break in the middle at half court and he passed the ball to Polley on the right wing who somehow took a dribble or two and made an outstanding bank shot. Even thought we scored it just showed how Jalen is not and will never be a point guard. How do you give up the ball on a break from half court when the defender never stopped the ball to a non ball handler 40 feet from the basket.

C

Chief00

I'm a little confused as to why we didn't feed our bigs more in the paint. Seems to me we could have gotten 15 pts each out of Carlton and Cobb if we made an effort to.. Startng to wonder what their role will be outside of setting screens then running in to rebound on the offensive end. I prefer not to live and die by how hot we are on the arc. Early on Carlton was working hard and presenting but not getting the ball. The passes they did get were not great. The guards are athletic enough to win a slightly sloppy track meet against Cornell every night but we need to be more balanced against better competition.

Totally agree. Danny needs to be careful to stay away from the KO Guard school trap - that scared Bigs away. Plus it’s yields better basketball results.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

I like Polley getting 28 minutes and if he can do it defensively even better because I think he has great offensive potential. He looks very improved over last year and if he can get 20 more pounds on we really have something.

Chief likes the way Polley fills the lane on the break.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry to ask. But is there an official date Sid is coming back or are we just assuming it’s after nov 27th? Or is he back this Saturday? I’ve heard nothing.

Reaction Score
Watching the replay now. Carlton drew some fouls on his aggressive post-ups in the first half which is good to see. Tough to enter the ball to your center when he is being fouled.

It is difficult to overstate how bad Cobb was at defending the back door cuts. He gets beat almost every time on that end of the floor and isn't able to recover as well as Carlton and Polley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom