Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition

Reaction Score
A huge win on the road against Butler, their fans and the Big East Refs. So proud of our great guys and their winning culture.

Early on not helped by Spencer and Newton going 3-15 from three and Karaban not cutting like he did earlier in the season. However, Karaban heated up in the second half, when we needed mattresses when you get attached wanna sit here I’ve been sitting all night I have a tournament. I’m gonna get out of here it most and shot over 50% from FG and 3. And wow Spencer hit a huge I don’t have any 3 shot with 45 seconds left. Way too easy.

What’s frustrating to me is Samson Johnson playing away from the basket on both offense and defense and picking up fouls 15-20 feet away from the basket. We can’t afford no center with Donovan out.

Diarra has exceeded expectations this year and is hitting 3’s and foul shots and his lockdown D is always there. He can also break the defense down off the dribble.

Stephon is gradually making the plays that win ball games. Points, rebounds and assists and a strong defensive player. Shooting 50% and nearly double figure rebounds.

Butler shot well, 48% FG, 47% from 3 and 90% from the line.

There no basket explanation to the foul situation other than it is UConn once again being screwed by Big East refs. Why we have 1/3 more fouls, there is no other way to explain it. Having to bench Johnson for many minutes and then Karaban fouling out with 1:32 left shows how it impacts results.

A good rebound by Spencer followed by a heads up tineout was huge. Diarra hit huge foul shots and I know how hard he worked to improve that aspect of his game.
Also could have easily been a double digit win if there weren't the 3 or 4 telegraphed passes stolen in the first half. Much fewer turnovers in the second half and that lead to a 14 point turnaround from the end of the first half to the final score.

Reaction Score
*Castle had two back to back sick drives - one on posh and one on that Pierre guy- that kinda gives u a glimpse of what’s to come
*nice solid game by Karaban
* Spencer is an animal - loved when he hit that 3 towards end and pointed to his ear towards crowd like “what u say about me?”
*another really nice game from Diarra
* Samson solid again minus some foul trouble

Reaction Score
The refs weren't great, but in the first half UConn was not driving the ball hard to the lane that often and had a handful of sloppy turnovers' the type of turnovers that Hurley would be furious to see in a scrimmage on the first day of practice, let alone in the middle of Big East play. In the second half, they were more aggressive, smarter, moved the ball better and drew more fouls.

Still, I don't understand Castle shooting a layup with an opponents leg scraping across his shoulder and there's no call.

It's nice to have at least 3 guys who aren't afraid of the moment and will take 'the shot' as the games wind down. It's one of the reasons why Karaban needs to be out there, but it is also nice to have Spencer and Newton who are never afraid to put it up.

Newton was big in the last 5+ minutes, but he has to take care of the ball better up to that point. If he did, the game would not have been as close at the end.

Loved how Davis complained about getting thrown or pushed once, and in previous games (especially the NC game) Spencer was being thrown around like a football at a Manning family reunion.

Finally, it was a gritty, gutty performance by Butler. Love

Reaction Score
Tonight he did not bring his hands down on two of the fouls he was called for. He used his waist area to make contact. Yes they were fouls but the same contact was not getting called at the other end. One time a Butler player ran right in SC leg on a lay up. If SC was smaller he would have been on the ground no call. You can watch the play he looked at the ref astonished that he could be hit that hard and nothing got called. But he is special he came down and locked his player down and we got the ball back. Yes the fouls that were called on UConn were fouls but the same contact on the other end was going uncalled until the end when Tristen just imposed his will and made them call the fouls.
I agree there’s a problem with officiating consistency. Our guys get the same contact or worse and no call.

Reaction Score
The refs weren't great, but in the first half UConn was not driving the ball hard to the lane that often and had a handful of sloppy turnovers' the type of turnovers that Hurley would be furious to see in a scrimmage on the first day of practice, let alone in the middle of Big East play. In the second half, they were more aggressive, smarter, moved the ball better and drew more fouls.

Still, I don't understand Castle shooting a layup with an opponents leg scraping across his shoulder and there's no call.

It's nice to have at least 3 guys who aren't afraid of the moment and will take 'the shot' as the games wind down. It's one of the reasons why Karaban needs to be out there, but it is also nice to have Spencer and Newton who are never afraid to put it up.

Newton was big in the last 5+ minutes, but he has to take care of the ball better up to that point. If he did, the game would not have been as close at the end.

Loved how Davis complained about getting thrown or pushed once, and in previous games (especially the NC game) Spencer was being thrown around like a football at a Manning family reunion.

Finally, it was a gritty, gutty performance by Butler. Love
I agree we need to take care of the ball better. Castle and Newton can both score after absorbing contact. Diarra playing as well as he is does give us another ball handler guy.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
A huge win on the road against Butler, their fans and the Big East Refs. So proud of our great guys and their winning culture.

Early on not helped by Spencer and Newton going 3-15 from three and Karaban not cutting like he did earlier in the season. However, Karaban heated up in the second half, when we needed mattresses when you get attached wanna sit here I’ve been sitting all night I have a tournament. I’m gonna get out of here it most and shot over 50% from FG and 3. And wow Spencer hit a huge I don’t have any 3 shot with 45 seconds left. Way too easy.

What’s frustrating to me is Samson Johnson playing away from the basket on both offense and defense and picking up fouls 15-20 feet away from the basket. We can’t afford no center with Donovan out.

Diarra has exceeded expectations this year and is hitting 3’s and foul shots and his lockdown D is always there. He can also break the defense down off the dribble.

Stephon is gradually making the plays that win ball games. Points, rebounds and assists and a strong defensive player. Shooting 50% and nearly double figure rebounds.

Butler shot well, 48% FG, 47% from 3 and 90% from the line.

There no basket explanation to the foul situation other than it is UConn once again being screwed by Big East refs. Why we have 1/3 more fouls, there is no other way to explain it. Having to bench Johnson for many minutes and then Karaban fouling out with 1:32 left shows how it impacts results.

A good rebound by Spencer followed by a heads up tineout was huge. Diarra hit huge foul shots and I know how hard he worked to improve that aspect of his game.
Comparing fouls Start of second half, minutes in. Butler 3 fouls, UConn 0. Minutes later, Uconn 5 fouls Butler 3. That quick. Teams continue to bring it to the hoop against us. A few drives seemed like a clear highway to the hoop.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I will never live down that voice to text at a bar picking up fragments of random conversations that I did not even hear.
Shrugs, it's funny.

Reaction Score
It seemed like the lads may have set a team record for interceptions.

Reaction Score
Comparing fouls Start of second half, minutes in. Butler 3 fouls, UConn 0. Minutes later, Uconn 5 fouls Butler 3. That quick. Teams continue to bring it to the hoop against us. A few drives seemed like a clear highway to the hoop.
Last night the same body contact on driving didn’t produce the same foul calls, but driving against us is what the game plan is. Clingan would be a big help.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I had a problem with the whistle on his 4th and a HUGE PROBLEM with the whistle on his 5th

I can't remember which foul it was, I think the 4th, but he did bring his arms down a little bit and you can see Kimani telling him that on the sideline when he came out.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Not sure where that version went lately. I want that Newton back as well
That version seems to be diminished by how they call the games in the BE. In conference it seems even when you are whacked hard you can’t over sell. Tristen tends to flail his arms and even though he is reacting to contact the BE football refs don’t like that they think you are trying to sell a foul. And his personality does not tend to be an asset in combatting that situation. But all respect to him he just said fudge it at the end of the game, I am going to the hoop and I am going to make it so the football refs have to call the fouls.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I can't remember which foul it was, I think the 4th, but he did bring his arms down a little bit and you can see Kimani telling him that on the sideline when he came out.
I think Kimani was saying he was called for making contact with his body. Not that he dropped his arms. I believe he was saying look they are not calling it against them but it is a foul. Just keep your head in the game and try your best to stay close but keep his whole body straight. Last year they would have called him for a charge against Posh but we got the right call based on the new rules. But even with that we got lucky on that call. I just think our coaching staff is helping keep the players more focused on the game than the refs so far this year.

Reaction Score
Really good win no doubt. Butler played well, was home has some solid tough kids and our kids were absolutely dreadful in the first half on both ends. So all in all they toughed out the first half to keep it within 7 then played a very good 2nd half to finish the deal. This is how it’s going to have to be until we get the big guy back. Foul trouble will also be a thing because neither Samson or Alex know how to stay away from fouling, need to get smarter. And Danny did a bad job not immediately taking Samson out when he got his 3rd he just doesn’t have the ability to back off. Worked out okay but normally we need more than 20 minutes from SJ so shame on the staff for keeping him in.

Diarra was my overall MVP of this game his minutes were tremendous in this win, both ends. I mean he played so well Ball only got 9 minutes.

Karaban looks to have his stroke back which is huge and overall, minus a very stupid 5th foul, he’s playing well on both ends.

Spencer, what can you say about this kid. He gets beat on D on occasion but makes plays, clutch plays, as well as anyone and I love the chip he plays with. I dare to say if we didn’t get him we’d be talking bubble right now he’s that good.

Castle, he’s starting to show who he is. Still needs to understand the importance of caring for the ball but even that’s getting better. Tough tough kid, made some man moves which is great to see. Liked his pull up 12 footer and he needs to do that more with confidence.

Samson was fine minus the fouling. He rebounded better with 6 after a pathetic 1 board versus DePaul. Very impressed with his finishes in tight using the square. Need him to better understand the idea of 25-30 minutes not 20 while DC is out. Again the staff blew it too when he got his 3rd.

Tristen, well we need him back. That’s the worst 17 point effort I’ve ever seen. His defense was mostly lackluster as was his care for some possessions. A couple really w t f passes again but I’m confident we’ll see the real Newton again soon.

Stewie, good to see. Happy for him to get a few minutes and get some meaningful points and rebounds. Played tough as well. Needs to play less robotic on defense and get more athletic guarding off the ball, but this kids got the it. May even see it more before this year ends, maybe a big step last night.

Let’s muck it up again soon!! Lol

Reaction Score
Yeah when his opponent jump stops or pivots with their back to the basket, he's clearly been taught to step forward to take away the space they have to operate. If you don't foul them, it's going to really affect the shot. Unfortunately, if you're moving forward and your hands aren't perfectly straight (and even sometimes if they are), you're going to get called for a foul a lot of the time if your opponent makes a move into your body. The refs usually insta-whistle it.

It's a dangerous game. Other teams that we play just have their guys stay back straight up and less aggressive and those are the teams that never foul (the Creightons and Jay Wright Novas and Butlers of the world.)

Nah Nova always walking into people knees and all when the dribble was picked up and were never called for it. Still do watch them.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
He brings his hands down. And he will get called everytime until he stops doing that.
I think it was his fourth foul where he did this. He had several others where he was in legal guarding position and completely vertical

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
I will never live down that voice to text at a bar picking up fragments of random conversations that I did not even hear.
No worries Chief, I always appreciate and look forward to your commentary. Easy mistake.

There's nothing to live down, man!

Reaction Score
Really good win no doubt. Butler played well, was home has some solid tough kids and our kids were absolutely dreadful in the first half on both ends. So all in all they toughed out the first half to keep it within 7 then played a very good 2nd half to finish the deal. This is how it’s going to have to be until we get the big guy back. Foul trouble will also be a thing because neither Samson or Alex know how to stay away from fouling, need to get smarter. And Danny did a bad job not immediately taking Samson out when he got his 3rd he just doesn’t have the ability to back off. Worked out okay but normally we need more than 20 minutes from SJ so shame on the staff for keeping him in.

Diarra was my overall MVP of this game his minutes were tremendous in this win, both ends. I mean he played so well Ball only got 9 minutes.

Karaban looks to have his stroke back which is huge and overall, minus a very stupid 5th foul, he’s playing well on both ends.

Spencer, what can you say about this kid. He gets beat on D on occasion but makes plays, clutch plays, as well as anyone and I love the chip he plays with. I dare to say if we didn’t get him we’d be talking bubble right now he’s that good.

Castle, he’s starting to show who he is. Still needs to understand the importance of caring for the ball but even that’s getting better. Tough tough kid, made some man moves which is great to see. Liked his pull up 12 footer and he needs to do that more with confidence.

Samson was fine minus the fouling. He rebounded better with 6 after a pathetic 1 board versus DePaul. Very impressed with his finishes in tight using the square. Need him to better understand the idea of 25-30 minutes not 20 while DC is out. Again the staff blew it too when he got his 3rd.

Tristen, well we need him back. That’s the worst 17 point effort I’ve ever seen. His defense was mostly lackluster as was his care for some possessions. A couple really w t f passes again but I’m confident we’ll see the real Newton again soon.

Stewie, good to see. Happy for him to get a few minutes and get some meaningful points and rebounds. Played tough as well. Needs to play less robotic on defense and get more athletic guarding off the ball, but this kids got the it. May even see it more before this year ends, maybe a big step last night.

Let’s muck it up again soon!! Lol
Agree, Diarra keeps growing in importance now that he can do 90% from FT. We can have him giving us energy at crutch time.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
We may like to kid you but this thread gets plenty of love...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom