Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition

Reaction Score
However, Karaban heated up in the second half, when we needed mattresses when you get attached wanna sit here I’ve been sitting all night I have a tournament. I’m gonna get out of here it most and shot over 50% from FG and 3. And wow Spencer hit a huge I don’t have any 3 shot with 45 seconds left. Way too easy.
IMG_4150.jpeg

Reaction Score
Why do Boneyarders think that players cannot improve? Diarra is NOT exceeding Hurley's expectation. He is simply getting better. He is playing like an experienced college player who could always be a dog on defense and is now adding offense.

Player are suppose to get better!!!!!
But it is difficult to become a 90% foul shooter from where he was last season. Let’s give hard work credit where it is do. I appreciate how he focused on his weakness in the summer gym.

Reaction Score
have more fouls because slow footed perimeter defenders are getting blown by and interior defenders are therefore trying to slow down cannon balls
We earned just about all the fouls we got called for by reaching letting guys blow by
But most of those fouls were fouls.
Uconn was slow to react, didn’t move feet well and reach in way too much for most of the game

They are still struggling to play d without clingan. More of an issue than the refs.
Can you guys explain why this always seems to happen when we play away? While you are at it, can you explain why opposing teams play such great defense, at home, but they somehow forget how to defend when playing away?

Reaction Score
I will never live down that voice to text at a bar picking up fragments of random conversations that I did not even hear.
I'm still in shock that you and Andre Drummond were talking about mattresses while watching a UConn vs. Butler game. Can't even imagine what the rest of the game conversation was like.

Reaction Score
Welcome back Chief! Your briefs have been clear and on point so far this year up until tonight, good to see the old Chief back at the helm.
The random voice to text conversations at the bar that I did not even hear will be all people will remember. But, great win by the guys in a tough road environment.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He brings his hands down. And he will get called everytime until he stops doing that.
Tonight he did not bring his hands down on two of the fouls he was called for. He used his waist area to make contact. Yes they were fouls but the same contact was not getting called at the other end. One time a Butler player ran right in SC leg on a lay up. If SC was smaller he would have been on the ground no call. You can watch the play he looked at the ref astonished that he could be hit that hard and nothing got called. But he is special he came down and locked his player down and we got the ball back. Yes the fouls that were called on UConn were fouls but the same contact on the other end was going uncalled until the end when Tristen just imposed his will and made them call the fouls.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The cohesiveness, depth and internal strength of this team is so impressive. To lose a BIG man of Clingan's stature, lose the backup to foul trouble and go small for a substantial portion of the 2nd half this evening and come back to win is as impressive as it gets.... My conclusion: this team is special and has the potential to do really great things this year!

Reaction Score
A huge win on the road against Butler, their fans and the Big East Refs. So proud of our great guys and their winning culture.

Early on not helped by Spencer and Newton going 3-15 from three and Karaban not cutting like he did earlier in the season. However, Karaban heated up in the second half, when we needed mattresses when you get attached wanna sit here I’ve been sitting all night I have a tournament. I’m gonna get out of here it most and shot over 50% from FG and 3. And wow Spencer hit a huge I don’t have any 3 shot with 45 seconds left. Way too easy.

What’s frustrating to me is Samson Johnson playing away from the basket on both offense and defense and picking up fouls 15-20 feet away from the basket. We can’t afford no center with Donovan out.

Diarra has exceeded expectations this year and is hitting 3’s and foul shots and his lockdown D is always there. He can also break the defense down off the dribble.

Stephon is gradually making the plays that win ball games. Points, rebounds and assists and a strong defensive player. Shooting 50% and nearly double figure rebounds.

Butler shot well, 48% FG, 47% from 3 and 90% from the line.

There no basket explanation to the foul situation other than it is UConn once again being screwed by Big East refs. Why we have 1/3 more fouls, there is no other way to explain it. Having to bench Johnson for many minutes and then Karaban fouling out with 1:32 left shows how it impacts results.

A good rebound by Spencer followed by a heads up tineout was huge. Diarra hit huge foul shots and I know how hard he worked to improve that aspect of his game.
wth are you talking about? I thought i might be having a stroke when i first read this.

Reaction Score
But it is difficult to become a 90% foul shooter from where he was last season. Let’s give hard work credit where it is do. I appreciate how he focused on his weakness in the summer gym.
His touch on his driving layups has improved 1,000%. I am seriously impressed.

Reaction Score
He brings his hands down. And he will get called everytime until he stops doing that.
Yeah when his opponent jump stops or pivots with their back to the basket, he's clearly been taught to step forward to take away the space they have to operate. If you don't foul them, it's going to really affect the shot. Unfortunately, if you're moving forward and your hands aren't perfectly straight (and even sometimes if they are), you're going to get called for a foul a lot of the time if your opponent makes a move into your body. The refs usually insta-whistle it.

It's a dangerous game. Other teams that we play just have their guys stay back straight up and less aggressive and those are the teams that never foul (the Creightons and Jay Wright Novas and Butlers of the world.)

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We had a great comeback in this game after that soft first half, but it was nothing compared to Chief overcoming a stroke midway through his initial post to finish strong. Well done Chief!

Chief’s mattresses :: Samson’s foul trouble

Reaction Score
The random voice to text conversations at the bar that I did not even hear will be all people will remember. But, great win by the guys in a tough road environment.
No need to explain. Reminded me of ”On the Road” stream of consciousness, type the whole thing on a single spool of paper thing.

and thanks for that Chief.

Reaction Score
I should try that excuse the next time I add a section to an agreement that makes no sense.
Next time I will proof read further. I actually saw the voice to text and deleted 95% of it but I will not live down that 5% that remain.

Reaction Score
Diarra has been so important.
I would never have predicted this last year, but he's almost my favorite player this year. Still makes the occasional bone headed mistake, but honestly, most of the team has been guilty of that at times this year. What has impressed me is he's always engaged, always energetic, always aggressive. Can't say that about anyone else really other than maybe Cam.

Reaction Score
I will never live down that voice to text at a bar picking up fragments of random conversations that I did not even hear.
When I first read it I was worried that Chief had outsourced te Briefs to AI.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom