Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition

Reaction Score
We know. Nobody is doubting your ability to keep being wrong about this.
I don’t believe I am wrong about that. We haven’t tried it and have lost 5 of the last 7. On NBA draft day some year soon, the guy who will be drafted likely the highest played 14 minutes today(Donovan Clingan). There is something really wrong with that reality and playing Donovan more takes one of our other top 3 players off the court using current rotations. I think that’s pretty crazy and won’t have a good end result.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We played Butler at home. I don’t take much from this game. It’s good to blow someone out, but Butler likely is not even an NIT team.

Are you suggesting we couldn’t beat a G League team or Real Madrid?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don’t believe I am wrong about that. We haven’t tried it and have lost 5 of the last 7. On NBA draft day some year soon, the guy who will be drafted likely the highest played 14 minutes today(Donovan Clingan). There is something really wrong with that reality and playing Donovan more takes one of our other top 3 players off the court using current rotations. I think that’s pretty crazy and won’t have a good end result.

UConn's issue is guard play. Twin towers doesn't fix that. If anything, it makes it worse.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
First, it was a win and a win that UConn needed badly. A lost would have been beyond devastating.
High points - Joey C saw some of his shots go in - invaluable for him at this point of the season. Hawkins showed he can score more than 3s and can overcome a slow start- the kid is smooth as butter. The offense shows a more fluid style with DC in there - the ball moves better and quicker. Newton knew he had to drive more and did - the results were ok, Karaban continues to grow and HD played with more control and purpose. AJ proved he can drive to the hoop without any fanfare and get a hoop.
Other points - Butler shot absolutely horrible. DH trotted out the same starting line-up and as AWest stated the 1st few minutes were not pretty save the Butler inability to hit the broad side of the barn. Samson played and glad he did get some run - not sure he's ready to tangle with better comp at this time.

Butler didn't offer much resistance throughout the game. Let's hope that the team is ready for Xavier because you know that Miller will have his team ready. On to Wednesday

Chief00- I hope your opening line was tongue in cheek.

A win is a win and it is a relief, but this one was little to prove the team has gotten over any substantial humps.

Reaction Score
I think his defense and rebounding was a vulnerability in certain games during the losing snap. The match-up against Hopkins of PC was an example. His offensive production also slipped.
So if we with 2 bigs, who guards Hopkins?

Reaction Score
I agree with chief. Sanogo + Clinton could lead to UConn dominance on boards. The offensive rebounds today were huge in getting us going. Sanogo can cover most teams #4.

If the other team 5 covers Sanogo on the post up, Sanogo can just throw up a shot and great chance for Clingan to clean up the put back on weak side.

Opponents defense don’t have the personnel to cover them both in the post up block.

This lineup would be particularly effective against teams that don’t shoot the 3 well. The lane would be clogged. Against smaller teams that shoot well I would stick with what we currently do, but vs teams like St John’s, Providence, Seton Hall Clingan/Sanogo a must.

Reaction Score

You don’t believe it, but that doesn’t change the fact that you are wrong.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe I am wrong about that. We haven’t tried it
Ok riddle me this. Clingan needs to be within 5’ of the basket on both ends of the floor to be effective, So what exactly would sanogos offensive role be when playing next to him?

If Clingan is in the game there would be an automatic double on sanogo whenever he catches the ball down low. Either because Clingan is standing on the perimeter and his defender isn’t guarding him, or because Clingan has brought his dendeder into the paint thereby bringing an extra defender into sanogo’s vicinity.

So it seems like sanogo would be forced to stand in the corner shooting 3s when Clingan is in the game and that’s not how to effectively use our leading scorer imo.

Reaction Score
Ok riddle me this. Clingan needs to be within 5’ of the basket on both ends of the floor to be effective, So what exactly would sanogos offensive role be when playing next to him?

If Clingan is in the game there would be an automatic double on sanogo whenever he catches the ball down low. Either because Clingan is standing on the perimeter and his defender isn’t guarding him, or because Clingan has brought his dendeder into the paint thereby bringing an extra defender into sanogo’s vicinity.

So it seems like sanogo would be forced to stand in the corner shooting 3s when Clingan is in the game and that’s not how to effectively use our leading scorer imo.
The double team on Sanogo comes from a guard leaving a wing player. If Clingan was 5’ from hope and his man left him to double Sanogo, Clingan would be wide open for dunk.
2 post players has been a popular configuration throughout basketball history:
with UConn:
Okafor and Boone
Thabeet and Adrien
Voskhul and Freeman

Celtics:
Parish and Mchale

Both Clingan and Sanogo are often out on the perimeter setting screens, pulling the opponents largest defender out with them..

Reaction Score
Did Newton play better because he turned a corner or did he play better because he wasn't pressured all game the way he has been the last couple of games????

Did we not allow many drives to the basket because we fixed it, or did they just not have the penetrators like ST. Johns, Seton Hall, etc???

The win looks good, but I still have a lot of unanswered questions that a win on Wednesday would probably fix.

Reaction Score
Did Newton play better because he turned a corner or did he play better because he wasn't pressured all game the way he has been the last couple of games????

Did we not allow many drives to the basket because we fixed it, or did they just not have the penetrators like ST. Johns, Seton Hall, etc???

The win looks good, but I still have a lot of unanswered questions that a win on Wednesday would probably fix.
Good points, easy to look impressive against a non-driving team. Our bigs weren't in foul trouble as they didn't have to protect against a second penetrating guard. The Butler win was still a much-needed restful game. With Johnson back we now have three towers so two of the three could be on the floor against some offensives. He could be a major defensive change in rotations.

It was also good to see other guards taking the ball up-court and Newton playing in a penetrating mode. This works! We need Jackson to also do much more of this and finish at the rim not pass to the corners. Loved to see the crashing of the offensive boards. This is a strength of ours if we play to it.

Reaction Score
Loose balls were tracked down with reckless abandon. Was obviously a point of emphasis. From Jackson and even Johnson we got after it.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I'm in Ohio for the weekend so I could bet the game. Took Butler and the over - so it was a wash for me.

Basically I had little faith on the blowout - so even though this isn't a good Butler team - that was a decisive win. Our issue, however, is that we have lots of big wins, and we have lost most of our tight games. Need to get a win when we need to perform in the clutch!
Agreed they seemed to have played lose but they looked tight on their ft attempts. That to me was the most concerning. Short arming free throws Clingan and Adama in a blow out win.

Reaction Score
Agreed they seemed to have played lose but they looked tight on their ft attempts. That to me was the most concerning. Short arming free throws Clingan and Adama in a blow out win.
Adama was 5 for 6 at the line.

Reaction Score
Loose balls were tracked down with reckless abandon. Was obviously a point of emphasis. From Jackson and even Johnson we got after it.
Sadly I couldn’t watch but I saw a replay last night and my favorite play was Andre coming out of nowhere for a chase down block on a fast break, landing well out of bounds, and then being the first guy back at nearly halfcourt to dive for a loose ball

Reaction Score
The double team on Sanogo comes from a guard leaving a wing player. If Clingan was 5’ from hope and his man left him to double Sanogo, Clingan would be wide open for dunk.
2 post players has been a popular configuration throughout basketball history:
with UConn:
Okafor and Boone
Thabeet and Adrien
Voskhul and Freeman

Celtics:
Parish and Mchale

Both Clingan and Sanogo are often out on the perimeter setting screens, pulling the opponents largest defender out with them..
sanogo isnt even able to pass it back out to an open 3 pt shooter when he is being doubled yet you expect him to throw up an alley-oop to clingan?

whether setting a screen or trying to space the floor, clingan is not going to bring a smart defender with him out to the 3 pt line. they will sit back and clog up the paint.

and thanks i have a general awareness of bball history, but this isnt the 00's, 90's, or even 80s.

Reaction Score
We dominate a team by 30 playing our usual lineup. How is this evidence that we need to shoehorn 2 bigs into the lineup together?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn's issue is guard play. Twin towers doesn't fix that. If anything, it makes it worse.
Unless, of course, you move Adama to point guard. Given his natural inclination to pass, it seems like the logical move.

Reaction Score
I agree guard play is our issue but a 7-2 guy plus a muscle guy - makes you think twice about beating your man off the dribble to the hoop.
How could it be”worse” than 2-5 in our last 7 games? Why not try it? The 4 out plus 1 in has been a disaster - will you acknowledge that?

Reaction Score
Unless, of course, you move Adama to point guard. Given his natural inclination to pass, it seems like the logical move.
Jackson and Hawkins with Newton and Diarra off the bench should be our guards.

Reaction Score
sanogo isnt even able to pass it back out to an open 3 pt shooter when he is being doubled yet you expect him to throw up an alley-oop to clingan?

whether setting a screen or trying to space the floor, clingan is not going to bring a smart defender with him out to the 3 pt line. they will sit back and clog up the paint.

and thanks i have a general awareness of bball history, but this isnt the 00's, 90's, or even 80s.
It’s funny - why not try something that has worked for years - rather than doing this 4 out and 1 in thing that has never worked for UConn.

Reaction Score

Clingan and Sanogo are 2 of our 4 best players - it is insane to play one only 14 minutes when all the same posters say that the guard position is our weak point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jackson and Hawkins with Newton and Diarra off the bench should be our guards.
There have been times this season that I would be inclined to agree with that statement. Newton played reasonably well last night however with 11 points, four rebounds and two assists in 25 minutes. Granted, he can get those 25 minutes coming off the bench.

So, no Joey, Calcaterra, or are you envisioning him as more of a three?

Reaction Score
Clingan and Sanogo are 2 of our 4 best players - it is insane to play one only 14 minutes when all the same posters say that the guard position is our weak point.
that's not an answer to my question. whaley and sanogo were 2 of our top 5 players last year and the offense was still horrendous when we had to play them together. whaley was arguably a better fit next to sanogo than clingan is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom