Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Butler Edition

Reaction Score
It’s funny - why not try something that has worked for years - rather than doing this 4 out and 1 in thing that has never worked for UConn.
but playing double Big last year did not work...you even coined the phrase "10 in 10" regarding our slow starts. so as bad as our O has been lately it was even worse last year when we had to pair whaley and sanogo, and whaley was much better suited to play PF than either sanogo or clingan is.

Reaction Score
sanogo isnt even able to pass it back out to an open 3 pt shooter when he is being doubled yet you expect him to throw up an alley-oop to clingan?

whether setting a screen or trying to space the floor, clingan is not going to bring a smart defender with him out to the 3 pt line. they will sit back and clog up the paint.

and thanks i have a general awareness of bball history, but this isnt the 00's, 90's, or even 80s.
Got that right, usually results in a turnover.

Reaction Score
1. They defended MUCH better. There wasn’t nearly as many breakdowns and the switching was back to being elite.
2. Sanogo was used completely different in the first 8min. We were running the offense through our guards and giving different guys post touches. Andre got a post touch on the first possession. And I think I counted Newton with 2 post touches in the first 8 minutes.
3. While we’re on Newton, he was WAY more aggressive attacking the basket in the first 8 minutes. We haven’t seen him that aggressive since Oregon.
4. We already have an identity, we went away from it. But today we dominated the glass, got second chance points, we moved the ball, and played suffocating defense. We took 19 threes. Way less than we have been, which means they made a concerted effort to get action going towards the basket.
5. We also fouled MUCH less. We weren’t into the bonus in the first half until 2:02 remaining. And the second half until 4:38 remaining.

Yes it was only Butler and we shouldn’t be parading down the street. But they definitely played much better than they have been. And even much different than they have been. Wednesday is the real test. But I don’t understand how you can watch the game today and come away feeling bad about what you saw.
Our defense was played under control more. Not a lot of over jumping commitment shown in recent contests. We stayed in front of their offensive players better. Liked to see other guards taking the ball up like Darria/Hawkins and pass more downcourt with better pace. Newton often played off the ball and created baseline opportunities. Maybe this was due to playing a weaker opponent, but the change gave us a new look and better pace instead of the dreadful half-court offense we often play. We were harder to defend against, much less predictable.

Reaction Score
We know. Nobody is doubting your ability to keep being wrong about this.
Well zis44, we really don't know if the double bigs are wrong as we haven't seen that show. With some limited minutes and a drill or two it might throw fear into the opponent with total rebound domination. The four in/out hasn't worked on some occasions as well.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Well zis44, we really don't know if the double bigs are wrong as we haven't seen that show. With some limited minutes and a drill or two it might throw fear into the opponent with total rebound domination. The four in/out hasn't worked on some occasions as well.

I dont know why people think it would be total rebound domination. Obviously Clingan is the 5 either without Sanogo or with Sanogo and Clingan is for sure a dominating rebounder, but why do people assume Adama would be from the 4 spot? maybe, maybe not.

Reaction Score
I dont know why people think it would be total rebound domination. Obviously Clingan is the 5 either without Sanogo or with Sanogo and Clingan is for sure a dominating rebounder, but why do people assume Adama would be from the 4 spot? maybe, maybe not.
yeah i dont think the double big lineup would grab enough O rebs and provide enough second chance pts to make up for the fact that we'd have one fewer capable shooter on the floor, and that clogging the paint would make dribble penetration even harder than it already is.

the response to this has been "well the results can't be any worse" but i'd counter with, yeah they can....remember last year's team? we had an even better rebounding unit with sanogo, whaley, jackson and martin. but i'm willing to listen.

Reaction Score
There have been times this season that I would be inclined to agree with that statement. Newton played reasonably well last night however with 11 points, four rebounds and two assists in 25 minutes. Granted, he can get those 25 minutes coming off the bench.

So, no Joey, Calcaterra, or are you envisioning him as more of a three?
Clingan is going to be an NBA first round pick, if not a lottery pick. In my opinion, we should at least try to find a spot for him on the court beyond this 14 minutes a game thing. What makes this even more frustrating to me is, we are losing to teams who are beating us up physically, as Providence and St John’s did. Why not try the double big and make teams game plan against it. Personally, it seems we are trying to match up rather than dictating the match ups as Calhoun usually did.
I also don’t see adding minutes for Donovan as taking minutes from Adama. Many posters seem focus on areas he needs to improve in but Adama’s shooting %’s, points, rebounds, post defense is far better than the alternative.

Maybe I am wrong, but at this point in the season, it takes a real favorable roll of the dice to think Samson can play consistent quality minutes against good opponents.

As for Joey C - sure he can be part of that pot of guard minutes - it is such a mix bag of pluses and minuses. Therefore, I would go with the Double Big, make that work and figure out what guards work best with that,

The other big thing is if Sanogo isn’t a first round pick do you think either him or Clingan will be satisfied splitting minutes at one position with portal starting opportunities at just about every top 20 school in the country. Our coaches are hopefully making that issue a priority it should be.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Clingan is going to be an NBA first round pick, if not a lottery pick. In my opinion, we should at least try to find a spot for him on the court beyond this 14 minutes a game thing. What makes this even more frustrating to me is, we are losing to teams who are beating us up physically, as Providence and St John’s did. Why not try the double big and make teams game plan against it. Personally, it seems we are trying to match up rather than dictating the match ups as Calhoun usually did.
I also don’t see adding minutes for Donovan as taking minutes from Adama. Many posters seem focus on areas he needs to improve in but Adama’s shooting %’s, points, rebounds, post defense is far better than the alternative.

Maybe I am wrong, but at this point in the season, it takes a real favorable roll of the dice to think Samson can play consistent quality minutes against good opponents.

As for Joey C - sure he can be part of that pot of guard minutes - it is such a mix bag of pluses and minuses. Therefore, I would go with the Double Big, make that work and figure out what guards work best with that,

The other big thing is if Sanogo isn’t a first round pick do you think either him or Clingan will be satisfied splitting minutes at one position with portal starting opportunities at just about every top 20 school in the country. Our coaches are hopefully making that issue a priority it should be.
Yeah, I am inclined to believe that using Donovan and Adama together for extended periods isn’t going to be effective given their skill sets. They are both back to the basket guys and using them both together, just brings another defender into the paint. That said, I have no problem with overlapping them a minute or so, as they come in and out to steal more minutes for Clingan. That would get Donovan an extra four or five minutes right there. I joke about it, but I actually see Adama at the top of the key passing down to Donovan. I think it could be effective.

I’m not sure how effective Samson can be for long stretches, given that he hasn’t played this year, but I absolutely like his size and physicality giving Alex a rest during the game.

As much as I hate to risk reigniting the Bouknight debate because it seems to trigger some people, I don’t think Donovan is “ready“ to play in the NBA, but for different reasons than James. As big a guy as he is, and he is still a young kid in coming into his “grown man” muscles. I think that Clingan would benefit from another season, expanding his game, getting some more range, maturing and just getting to enjoy being a college student one more year. That said, much as I said with Bouknight, I think if someone’s offering you, life-changing money, you probably have to take it.

Reaction Score
The other big thing is if Sanogo isn’t a first round pick do you think either him or Clingan will be satisfied splitting minutes at one position with portal starting opportunities at just about every top 20 school in the country. Our coaches are hopefully making that issue a priority it should be
i dont see the issue here. there's no way in hell sanogo is a 1st round pick and probably not 2nd round either, so he's either going pro in europe or he can transfer. it makes no difference because clingan is going to be the starting C next year.

Reaction Score
i dont see the issue here. there's no way in hell sanogo is a 1st round pick and probably not 2nd round either, so he's either going pro in europe or he can transfer. it makes no difference because clingan is going to be the starting C next year.
Wow - I think you are greatly underestimating what Adama Sanogo brings to the table. A 58% FG shooter and 76% FT, whose our leading rebounder. I know his teammates appreciate him. Karaban’s public comments on the radio after the last game show how much they appreciate him.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I am inclined to believe that using Donovan and Adama together for extended periods isn’t going to be effective given their skill sets. They are both back to the basket guys and using them both together, just brings another defender into the paint. That said, I have no problem with overlapping them a minute or so, as they come in and out to steal more minutes for Clingan. That would get Donovan an extra four or five minutes right there. I joke about it, but I actually see Adama at the top of the key passing down to Donovan. I think it could be effective.

I’m not sure how effective Samson can be for long stretches, given that he hasn’t played this year, but I absolutely like his size and physicality giving Alex a rest during the game.

As much as I hate to risk reigniting the Bouknight debate because it seems to trigger some people, I don’t think Donovan is “ready“ to play in the NBA, but for different reasons than James. As big a guy as he is, and he is still a young kid in coming into his “grown man” muscles. I think that Clingan would benefit from another season, expanding his game, getting some more range, maturing and just getting to enjoy being a college student one more year. That said, much as I said with Bouknight, I think if someone’s offering you, life-changing money, you probably have to take it.
Right now their overlap is nearly 4 minutes all season. Sanogo averages 26 minutes a game and Donovan 14. We consistently get beat up by physical Big East teams and our response is playing 4 out with only half the out guys being good shooters.

If we continue down this path or think Johnson is the answer, we won’t have this “problem” next season.

We need to overlap 8-12 minutes a game. Having Adama post and having no rebounds on the 40% of times he misses is also hurts. Calhoun manage to win so many years with two Big guys. He considered it a strength not a liability.

I recognize the coach’s thinking in October was Sanogo would be a 1st round pick but we need to adjust.

Reaction Score
Wow - I think you are greatly underestimating what Adama Sanogo brings to the table. A 58% FG shooter and 76% FT, whose our leading rebounder. I know his teammates appreciate him. Karaban’s public comments on the radio after the last game show how much they appreciate him.
First I’d like to say that Sanogo is a very good college player. He does have limitations however. 58% FG shooter from where he takes his shots is average. If he and Clingan played the same amount of minutes Sanogo would not be our leading rebounder.

Sanogo is very good but some posters greatly overstate his impact. He has not performed like the Big East Player of the year. In fact during the 5 games we lost his numbers are 78 points, 31 rebounds and 6 assists. Opposing center numbers are 75 points, 43 rebounds and 7 assists. If, as BEPOY, he outplays the opposing centers by a little bit we probably win 2 or 3 of the lost games.

The above being said, he did make a couple of nice passes from the high post the last game and perhaps he and Clingan can mesh if Sanogo isn’t in the paint while they play together. Defensively they may have to go to a zone against some teams if they play together.

25-27 minutes for Sanogo and 20-22 for Clingan might work.

Reaction Score
Not sure the Calhoun used two bigs argument is a good one. The game has changed drastically in the last 10 years. Pro and college.

Reaction Score
First I’d like to say that Sanogo is a very good college player. He does have limitations however. 58% FG shooter from where he takes his shots is average. If he and Clingan played the same amount of minutes Sanogo would not be our leading rebounder.

Sanogo is very good but some posters greatly overstate his impact. He has not performed like the Big East Player of the year. In fact during the 5 games we lost his numbers are 78 points, 31 rebounds and 6 assists. Opposing center numbers are 75 points, 43 rebounds and 7 assists. If, as BEPOY, he outplays the opposing centers by a little bit we probably win 2 or 3 of the lost games.

The above being said, he did make a couple of nice passes from the high post the last game and perhaps he and Clingan can mesh if Sanogo isn’t in the paint while they play together. Defensively they may have to go to a zone against some teams if they play together.

25-27 minutes for Sanogo and 20-22 for Clingan might work.
Adama is shooting 58%, is our leading rebounder and scorer. LOL - so getting outscored by a grand total of 3 points in our 5 loses isn’t exactly pointing cause at him. You should check some of his teammates, other than Hawkins.

I think you have taken the Sanogo/Clingan mutually exclusive bait and based your arguments on that assumption.

Did 3 time NC and HOF coach Calhoun view Boone/Okafor, Armstrong/Boone, Thabeet/Andrien, etc as mutually exclusive? Of course not!

Reaction Score
so getting outscored by a grand total of 3 points in our 5 loses isn’t exactly pointing cause at him
yes it definitely is "pointing cause"

the point DRfla made was that our "best player" and the preseason BEPOY should have outplayed each of nunge, prosper, croswell, soriano, and samuel, but he did not. scoring 3 more points and getting 12 fewer rebounds than those guys is not outplaying them it is matching them at best. among those 5 guys only soriano is arguably his team's best player.

Reaction Score
that's not an answer to my question. whaley and sanogo were 2 of our top 5 players last year and the offense was still horrendous when we had to play them together. whaley was arguably a better fit next to sanogo than clingan is.
To compare Whaley as a player to either Sanogo or Clingan is silly. They are both much higher level players than Whaley. No comparison. This isn’t to disrespect Whaley but he was a meaningful role player not a star.

Reaction Score
Not sure the Calhoun used two bigs argument is a good one. The game has changed drastically in the last 10 years. Pro and college.
Yes, the game has change since he left. We have won one NC in those ten years and that was with his players.

Reaction Score
but playing double Big last year did not work...you even coined the phrase "10 in 10" regarding our slow starts. so as bad as our O has been lately it was even worse last year when we had to pair whaley and sanogo, and whaley was much better suited to play PF than either sanogo or clingan is.
Who the heck was the double big. We only had one Big. Whaley isn’t a true Big.

Reaction Score
yes it definitely is "pointing cause"

the point DRfla made was that our "best player" and the preseason BEPOY should have outplayed each of nunge, prosper, croswell, soriano, and samuel, but he did not. scoring 3 more points and getting 12 fewer rebounds than those guys is not outplaying them it is matching them at best. among those 5 guys only soriano is arguably his team's best player.
He also had Clingan taking 14 of his minutes per game. So that impacts the numbers. Your argument is silly. He is one of our top 2-3 players.

Reaction Score

I think Clingan needs another year of college too. My concern is now that Adama may not be a first round pick and if he stays in college - neither Clingan or Adama are going to be willing to split 40 minutes next year. I think they are both very valuable players and I would like Hurley to figure things out, so we won’t be playing against one next year or watching Donovan get more minutes in the NBA than he got here,

Reaction Score
He also had Clingan taking 14 of his minutes per game. So that impacts the numbers. Your argument is silly. He is one of our top 2-3 players.
sanogo averaged 27.6 mpg in those 5 games which is above his season average. lack of PT isnt an excuse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom