Chief’s Brief’s | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Brief’s

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Chief doesn’t see how we shoot good enough from 3 to have four guys stand on the line and concede offensive rebounds. We don’t shoot like Golden State of recent years. I would much prefer two guys going to the offensive glass. I don’t see a lot of teams that run the break well so it’s an overly conservative approach.

Chief is definitely concerned with our shooting. One observation is most guys aren’t using a follow through motion towards the basket but rather they are short stroking the ball or pushing the ball too far.

I also saw too many rushed foul shots due to nerves or lack of confidence. What many of our guys lack is a routine at the line to calm down and get a rhythm.

On the plus side, I can see we worked at defending ball and screen action at the top of the key.

Additionally, Whaley was active and improved. I though Whaley was our best and most active “Big”.

CV played a good all round game with points, assists and rebounds. Gilbert played well but it’s his senior year and he’s not the consistent shooter he needs to be to play at another level.

Akok showed promise as did Sid at times but both are far from refined players yet. Adams is one of our best spot up shooters and for him to get playing time he will need to knock down the 3 ball.

Carlton may have gotten too bulky and may have lost fluidity but we really need to see him against other big guys.

Polley at times looks like he has a sweet shot but then in the game he doesn’t use consistent mechanics and his shot has too much variability. Part of the problem appears to be he doesn’t have a solid plan before he gets the ball. The result is a naturally fluid player playing tentative.

Gaffney is still not moving like his normal self but getting on the court is a start.

Chief going to continue not to comment on a particular player’s academics.
Chief, it's great to see the Chief brief to start the season!! Though I just saw the video highlights from the game and I am struck by Whaley's confidence and ability to hit the short/mid-range jumper. I'm surprised you didn't comment on this. Last year his ability to shoot looked as if he never played the game before. I know it is a small sample, but he sure looked confident and hit several of these - this is just short of astonishing given his performance last year when I believe he shot more short range air-balls than hit the rim. I'm not sure any actually went in. :)

C

Chief00

Chief, it's great to see the Chief brief to start the season!! Though I just saw the video highlights from the game and I am struck by Whaley's confidence and ability to hit the short/mid-range jumper. I'm surprised you didn't comment on this. Last year his ability to shoot looked as if he never played the game before. I know it is a small sample, but he sure looked confident and hit several of these - this is just short of astonishing given his performance last year when I believe he shot more short range air-balls than hit the rim. I'm not sure any actually went in. :)
I did say he was our best Big. But, sure I could have mentioned that about his shot. Let’s hope it continues. He was 7-9 from the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I don't think this exhibition needed a Brief, Chief. But I know you were champing at the bit, tho.
Hey this was Chief's exhibition. Preseason briefs. Fine tune time. Hone those skills.

C

Chief00

They love the non competitive First Night where everyone wins and gets a coed participation trophy

:p:pWhere can I get a coed participation and then the trophy??????????????????
This is sooooooooo non PC ;)
That would be a marketing homerun.

C

Chief00

Chief, Carlton is an aircraft cairrier. He was playing against PT boats. Tough to judge if he was slower or it just looked that way.
Chief had to ponder this feedback, actually a great insight and could have some validity. But, first let me take you back to one of the building blocks of the Briefs. They are foremost an eye test (preferable in person) before Chief breaks down statistics or video. However, I also agree you do need a degree of sheer physical bulk with some talent sprinkled in against teams with true Bigs. That’s the same reason some may be skeptical of Akok despite his 4 blocks.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Chief doesn’t see how we shoot good enough from 3 to have four guys stand on the line and concede offensive rebounds. We don’t shoot like Golden State of recent years. I would much prefer two guys going to the offensive glass. I don’t see a lot of teams that run the break well so it’s an overly conservative approach.

Chief is definitely concerned with our shooting. One observation is most guys aren’t using a follow through motion towards the basket but rather they are short stroking the ball or pushing the ball too far.

I also saw too many rushed foul shots due to nerves or lack of confidence. What many of our guys lack is a routine at the line to calm down and get a rhythm.

On the plus side, I can see we worked at defending ball and screen action at the top of the key.

Additionally, Whaley was active and improved. I though Whaley was our best and most active “Big”.

CV played a good all round game with points, assists and rebounds. Gilbert played well but it’s his senior year and he’s not the consistent shooter he needs to be to play at another level.

Akok showed promise as did Sid at times but both are far from refined players yet. Adams is one of our best spot up shooters and for him to get playing time he will need to knock down the 3 ball.

Carlton may have gotten too bulky and may have lost fluidity but we really need to see him against other big guys.

Polley at times looks like he has a sweet shot but then in the game he doesn’t use consistent mechanics and his shot has too much variability. Part of the problem appears to be he doesn’t have a solid plan before he gets the ball. The result is a naturally fluid player playing tentative.

Gaffney is still not moving like his normal self but getting on the court is a start.

Chief going to continue not to comment on a particular player’s academics.
Fleud thinks Chief is moving towards boxers.
Good grief this wasn't brief. :cool:

I felt @Son of Robert had a lot of good points but agree with your first point when Josh was getting double and triple teamed. There were not enough times players cut to the basket when that happened.

This was the first game I felt AG demonstrated he could be a 3 pt threat. I'm not sure why Carlton was tentative in the first half. It could have been the coaches did not want him to get into foul trouble with the thin front court. Or it could be we didn't make 3's. Once that happened the opposing coach had to stop overplaying Carlton.

Biggest criticism of AG in this game was his passing. Agreed with announcers a bounce pass was the choice in those three turnovers.

Really loved Brendan this game. He had two of the best passes with the alley oop and the fast break pass.
He also had the best dunk. Would love to see him run a fast break alongside Al.

Reaction Score
Adams still doesn’t low enough to the ground on offense or defense, needs to work harder, & be more intense. Akok seems very light on his feet & quick.

C

Chief00

I see him mostly as a spot up shooter on offense but true he needs to get low on defense because he will often be guarding quicker guys.

Reaction Score
I see him mostly as a spot up shooter on offense but true he needs to get low on defense because he will often be guarding quicker guys.
[/QUOTE
Not sure if he is athletic enough to be more than a spot up 3 point shooter and an effort guy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom