Chief’s Brief’s | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Brief’s

C

Chief00

Chief only paid casual attention to the game
Great question about foul shooting and although Chief already clarified - I will clarify further.

It’s a concern - two starters shot below 70%. True a limited sample but Akok 50% (3-6) and Tyler 67% (2-3) is a potential red flag to Chief. Sid also shot 50% (1-2). So that’s 3/8ths of our top 8 guys not shooting above 70% from the line.

Reaction Score
So does anyone know the current status of Bouknight, since he did not appear in the box score?
James Bouknight did not suit up for action against Saint Michael’s. He also sat out the closed-door scrimmage at Harvard last week, so he is obviously under a suspension, but UConn did not put out an update on his status. “Stay tuned on that,” Hurley said.

Bouknight was arrested following an incident near campus in late September in which he was charged with driving without a license, driving too fast for conditions, evading responsibility and interfering with police. He has applied for the accelerated pretrial rehabilitation program and will next appear in court Nov. 18.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great question about foul shooting and although Chief already clarified - I will clarify further.

It’s a concern - two starters shot below 70%. True a limited sample but Akok 50% (3-6) and Tyler 67% (2-3) is a potential red flag to Chief. Sid also shot 50% (1-2). So that’s 3/8ths of our top 8 guys not shooting above 70% from the line.

Honestly, we've been so awful at FTs for the last few years that I don't expect everybody above 70%. Also, small sample size on guys like Sid and Tyler.

One of the things I'll be watching this season is whether we are getting to the line often enough. We've been outshot at the line too often in recent years. Part of that was Jalen's uncanny ability not to get fouled, like a Moscow Ballerina avoiding contact.

We need to get our FTA numbers up and opponent FTA numbers way down (310th last year in D1)

pj

Reaction Score

The median NCAA team shoots 70.6% from the line. That means you'd expect 50% of players to shoot below that and 50% above. If we have 3/8 (37%) shooting below 70% and 5/8 (63%) shooting above 70%, that means we're an above average free throw shooting team.

But - small sample-size statistics are not reliable.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Holy lolz

Reaction Score
Not only is last night a tiny sample size but the most important thing with FT% percentage is WHO is taking the most foul shots. I'm about to state the obvious but if AG is shooting 80% and Akok 70%, the percentage is only 75% if they are shooting the same amount of free throws. If AG is shooting twice as many FT's than the % is 76.6%

More over, everyone knows that ball handlers will generally shoot more free throws on a good team and the best case scenario is that the better FT shooters will be handling the ball and creating dribble penetration that generate fouls.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Hey, its his first chief's brief of the year. Of course there will be a skid mark or two. He needs preseason too you know.

Reaction Score
Not only is last night a tiny sample size but the most important thing with FT% percentage is WHO is taking the most foul shots. I'm about to state the obvious but if AG is shooting 80% and Akok 70%, the percentage is only 75% if they are shooting the same amount of free throws. If AG is shooting twice as many FT's than the % is 76.6%

More over, everyone knows that ball handlers will generally shoot more free throws on a good team and the best case scenario is that the better FT shooters will be handling the ball and creating dribble penetration that generate fouls.
Very impressed with your math skills. LOL

Reaction Score

You need help with your math. A 70% foul shooter is only going to hit 3 out of 3 approximately 35% of the time. Which means that if he takes three foul shots each game, you should expect him to be below 70% in two of them which means harping on hitting 2 out of 3 in one game is idiotic. An 80% shooter would be expected to hit 3 out of 3 only about half the time.

Criticizing players because you suck at math is really not a good look.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
True a limited sample but Akok 50% (3-6) and Tyler 67% (2-3) is a potential red flag to Chief. Sid also shot 50% (1-2). So that’s 3/8ths of our top 8 guys not shooting above 70% from the line.

NEVER count a stat with one miss. Tyler's and Sid's % could only have improved to 100%.

That being said, some might note than Akok had 3 opportunities to get his percentage higher and he whiffed on all of them, so he went 0 for 3 on opportunities to improve his stats. Wow, it sure is easy to make stats say whatever the helloyou want them to.:D

Reaction Score
Chief doesn’t see how we shoot good enough from 3 to have four guys stand on the line and concede offensive rebounds. We don’t shoot like Golden State of recent years. I would much prefer two guys going to the offensive glass. I don’t see a lot of teams that run the break well so it’s an overly conservative approach.

Chief is definitely concerned with our shooting. One observation is most guys aren’t using a follow through motion towards the basket but rather they are short stroking the ball or pushing the ball too far.

I also saw too many rushed foul shots due to nerves or lack of confidence. What many of our guys lack is a routine at the line to calm down and get a rhythm.

On the plus side, I can see we worked at defending ball and screen action at the top of the key.

Additionally, Whaley was active and improved. I though Whaley was our best and most active “Big”.

CV played a good all round game with points, assists and rebounds. Gilbert played well but it’s his senior year and he’s not the consistent shooter he needs to be to play at another level.

Akok showed promise as did Sid at times but both are far from refined players yet. Adams is one of our best spot up shooters and for him to get playing time he will need to knock down the 3 ball.

Carlton may have gotten too bulky and may have lost fluidity but we really need to see him against other big guys.

Polley at times looks like he has a sweet shot but then in the game he doesn’t use consistent mechanics and his shot has too much variability. Part of the problem appears to be he doesn’t have a solid plan before he gets the ball. The result is a naturally fluid player playing tentative.

Gaffney is still not moving like his normal self but getting on the court is a start.

Chief going to continue not to comment on a particular player’s academics.
As far as I'm concerned until you put a real opponent in front of Uconn we wont know jack..

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You need help with your math. A 70% foul shooter is only going to hit 3 out of 3 approximately 35% of the time. Which means that if he takes three foul shots each game, you should expect him to be below 70% in two of them which means harping on hitting 2 out of 3 in one game is idiotic. An 80% shooter would be expected to hit 3 out of 3 only about half the time.

Chief thinks if we ain’t shooting from Iowa to Kentucky in 14 tourney then it’s poor

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Yeah it’s a small sample size but Akok 3-6 when combined with 0-2 from 3 definitely isn’t great

Can’t remember the second three but the first one early in the game was a very ugly miss. Even his shooting motion I was hoping to look a little more natural than it does

C

Chief00

Honestly, we've been so awful at FTs for the last few years that I don't expect everybody above 70%. Also, small sample size on guys like Sid and Tyler.

One of the things I'll be watching this season is whether we are getting to the line often enough. We've been outshot at the line too often in recent years. Part of that was Jalen's uncanny ability not to get fouled, like a Moscow Ballerina avoiding contact.

We need to get our FTA numbers up and opponent FTA numbers way down (310th last year in D1)
You don’t get your FTA numbers up having 4 guys stand on the 3 line, most of whom are average or below average 3 shooters.

C

Chief00

Last season’s sample size is huge and it’s consistent with Chief’s point.

Tyler at 64% last year and 67% last night.

Sid at 57% last year and 50% last night.

You don’t see a consistent trend in the above numbers?

Your models are nice discussions in the faculty lounge, on court results have consequences. You lost this case counselor. Back to remedial math class.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

That’s very true - The Who- Calhoun and Blaney incorporated that into their late game plan.

Reaction Score
You don’t get your FTA numbers up having 4 guys stand on the 3 line, most of whom are average or below average 3 shooters.
Yes, but it was not like having 4 players standing around, passing the ball around the perimeter waiting for someone to shoot a three. I was at the game too, and the half court offense had a lot of motion to it. The ball was moving, picks were being set, players were cutting, passes were being thrown into the post and sprayed back out, there was dribble penetration, and dribble drives to the rim with contact and fouls being drawn. Hurley's offense kept the defense moving and that's what it's about. Sid Wilson, Tyler Polley, Brendan Adams, Akok, and AG all beat their first defenders and took it the hoop. Adams had a couple of these. Everyone was aggressive including Whaley and Carlton making shots in the post. Akok and Sid both flashed to the foul line and in, and there was some midrange shot attempts by multiple players. CV looked good out there, pushing his handling boundaries a little bit but solid nonetheless, money with his shot selection. Jalen Gaffney played good minutes and did not push his offense, passing, dribbling, and moving well within the offense.

Defensively CV must have had 5 or 6 steals. Lots of hands reaching into the lanes, disrupting ball handlers and passing, both. Plenty of turnovers created by this hustling and mostly smart defense. Shooters were harassed, there was a lot of quick shooting going on, several blocks, Whaley, Akok, Sid, all getting some.

All in all a respectable performance against a D2 team with a few good players who kept their composure quite well. 103 points on the board, that's always a good sign.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Yes, but it was not like having 4 players standing around, passing the ball around the perimeter waiting for someone to shoot a three. I was at the game too, and the half court offense had a lot of motion to it. The ball was moving, picks were being set, players were cutting, passes were being thrown into the post and sprayed back out, there was dribble penetration, and dribble drives to the rim with contact and fouls being drawn. Hurley's offense kept the defense moving and that's what it's about. Sid Wilson, Tyler Polley, Brendan Adams, Akok, and AG all beat their first defenders and took it the hoop. Adams had a couple of these. Everyone was aggressive including Whaley and Carlton making shots in the post. Akok and Sid both flashed to the foul line and in, and there was some midrange shot attempts by multiple players. CV looked good out there, pushing his handling boundaries a little bit but solid nonetheless, money with his shot selection. Jalen Gaffney played good minutes and did not push his offense, passing, dribbling, and moving well within the offense.

Defensively CV must have had 5 or 6 steals. Lots of hands reaching into the lanes, disrupting ball handlers and passing both. Plenty of turnovers created by this hustling and mostly smart defense. Shooters were harassed, there was a lot of quick shooting going on, several blocks, Whaley, Akok, Sid, all getting some.

All in all a respectable performance against a D2 team with a few good players who kept their composure quite well. 103 points on the board, that's always a good sign.
Maybe I was a little tough on the fella’s , we will see if the vulnerabilities I thought I saw gets exploited more against better competition.

Reaction Score
Last season’s sample size is huge and it’s consistent with Chief’s point.

Tyler at 64% last year and 67% last night.

Sid at 57% last year and 50% last night.

You don’t see a consistent trend in the above numbers?

Your models are nice discussions in the faculty lounge, on court results have consequences. You lost this case counselor. Back to remedial math class.
I'm sending you to a statistics class. The FT percentages last night have nothing to do with any trend. Last year's numbers are statistically relevant. Last night's are not. Tyler and Sid may shoot close to last year's percentages but you need a lot more attempts to make this year's percentages statistically relevant.

Reaction Score
Maybe I was a little tough on the fella’s , we will see if the vulnerabilities I thought I saw gets exploited more against better competition.
No doubt there is plenty to work on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom