Chief’s Brief’s | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Brief’s

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I agree that Whaley looked impressive and aggressive - especially with his D and that mid range
My concern is that he was the biggest guy physically on the floor vs a rather slow and inferior opponent - can he do this later in the season vs the bigger and better guys? Time will tell
Not that worried about AG now but if he is playing at the same level in December I will be concerned but AG is a player and I feel good about this year IF he remains injury free.
CV was all over the place and for the most part played within himself - I think he is going to have a really strong year
Didn't like Carlton's mental approach to the game in the first half - he showed frustration - but there were glimpses of the what he can do in the second half. Being double and tripled team at times is part of the game
Polley - to me - is bigger physically but I didn't see much improvement in his game - especially willingness to crash the boards
I understand its early and things will change and progress
Overall I loved the defensive pressure and quick hands - even the bigs were active at attacking the ball - Nice to see that defensive pressure
Should be a fun year

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I agree that Whaley looked impressive and aggressive - especially with his D and that mid range
My concern is that he was the biggest guy physically on the floor vs a rather slow and inferior opponent - can he do this later in the season vs the bigger and better guys? Time will tell
Not that worried about AG now but if he is playing at the same level in December I will be concerned but AG is a player and I feel good about this year IF he remains injury free.
CV was all over the place and for the most part played within himself - I think he is going to have a really strong year
Didn't like Carlton's mental approach to the game in the first half - he showed frustration - but there were glimpses of the what he can do in the second half. Being double and tripled team at times is part of the game
Prolly - to me - is bigger physically but I didn't see much improvement in his game - especially willingness to crash the boards
I understand its early and things will change and progress
Overall I loved the defensive pressure and quick hands - even the bigs were active at attacking the ball - Nice to see that defensive pressure
Should be a fun year
Good observations. Don’t take after Chief in spelling Tyler’s last name - LOL

Reaction Score
I’ve been waiting forever for Chief’s Briefs! Thank you for bringing the goods as always Chief!

55e2a33d9f800dfc26686fbf8abe3c91.gif

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This sentence could go right in the dictionary as an example of a backhanded compliment.

In part. Certainly Sid has a high ceiling and is farthest from it based on past performance. In the case of Adams and Whaley they are role players and it's a question of them being really good role players, adequate or inadequate.

C

Chief00

Great notes Chief. Gilbert shot over 50% and 50% from 3. That's a strong shooting performance after a bad one vs Harvard. The line has been moved out now, and I think teams are going to struggle a tiny bit. Not just UConn. Adams, CV and Polley weren't good outside based on the box score. We really need Bouknight and a healthy Gaffney.

Encouraged that Whaley, Adams and Wilson made key contributions. I think they can be important players for us. Nobody has the ability to make a big improvement like those three, especially Sid. I expect Adams to turn into a 3 and D combo guard, who has the strength to match up with some SFs and to post smaller guards.

Whaley always had hops and very good timing on the board and blocking shots. He worked hard on his two biggest weaknesses, strength/weight and shooting. Evidently it shows. Total lunch pail guy, which is good to have.
I was probably too hard on AG, but he is a Chief favorite, so I am going to be tough on him - - even unreasonable in the pursuit of excellence until he’s a totally lights out shooter. Some would say he will never be that but he might now that he can focus on his game not rehab. So he might be the exception.

Reaction Score
I love opening up Chief's Briefs and just taking it all in. Poignant as always.

Reaction Score
@Chief00 - a whole brief and thread, and not one comment on the damn XL floor yet? At least two instances of players slipping. POLLY (spelled correct?) almost did a full split at one point in the lane, another instance they stopped the game mid play to wipe the floor - was this due to the problem with the floor, or simply sweat? Casual fans want to know if this will be another year in Hartford with issues.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@Chief00 - a whole brief and thread, and not one comment on the damn XL floor yet? At least two instances of players slipping. POLLY (spelled correct?) almost did a full split at one point in the lane, another instance they stopped the game mid play to wipe the floor - was this due to the problem with the floor, or simply sweat? Casual fans want to know if this will be another year in Hartford with issues.
Prolly

Reaction Score
You need to get your game back Chief. Our first look at this years Briefs saw what looks to be shart!! :eek:

C

Chief00

Good point and Tom Moore appeared very concerned about the moisture on the floor near the UConn sideline. It’s become so ordinary at XL along with over-all mismanagement that Chief noticed but did not mention, but I should have.
I wonder with the new ice chiller equipment last summer (2018) if they haven’t upgraded the mats or other heating/ventilation/humidifier systems so the chiller over powers everything else in the XL eco system?
Another issue was Chief could count the student fans on my fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Chief will always try to do better, but quite frankly I thought the Briefs were better than the team’s performance. But, tough for both given the competition.

Just having some fun chief I didn't see the game unfortunately but the highlights were good that were posted. The fact they didn't play great but still posted a nice number is indicative they may be able to score the ball, even it was just St Mikes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought so too. It looked natural, and he ID'd the open team mate and made the pass before getting in trouble trying to force a move.
It's part of his continuous improvement. He keeps building his game.

Reaction Score
I hate to disagree with Chief, being Neely a casual fan as we all are in the presence of the great one. But I spent some time focusing on Akok. He was being manhandled by much smaller guys. And freescooter feels the same way about bigs getting pushed around by smaller guys as Jake and Elwood did about Illinois nazis.

Reaction Score
So does anyone know the current status of Bouknight, since he did not appear in the box score?

C

Chief00

I hate to disagree with Chief, being Neely a casual fan as we all are in the presence of the great one. But I spent some time focusing on Akok. He was being manhandled by much smaller guys. And freescooter feels the same way about bigs getting pushed around by smaller guys as Jake and Elwood did about Illinois nazis.
I understand your concern. Chief saw a guy with length and ability to quickly block shots but against a mature team he may get manhandled. Akok is a coachable kid and a hard worker, so the cia Hong staff is projecting him with that in mind.
Also, when you practice against 40 toes on the 3 point line it doesn’t expose what rock fight team’s will expose regarding Akok.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom