Chemistry | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chemistry

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I remember Rashad Anderson used to joke about being the oven aka always hot, and his teammates would joke that he never would pass.

Things are different when you win by 40 points and go 8/10 from 3.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the game, but going 2 of 16 from the 3pt line means we're not going far.

Reaction Score
The boneyard is ridiculous, and takes everything far too seriously.

This is exactly how you’d want them to deal with how each of them played.
No, not at all.

Some of us in here are talking about personal accountability. I don’t want anyone saying anything about what anyone else in particular is doing.

I want Larrier to say “I’m gonna work on my free throws a bit because I had a chance to ice the game and didn’t” even in a half-joking manner

And I want Adams to say “I need to be more careful with the ball; my sloppiness is why this game stayed so close for so long” even in a half-joking manner

Not joking with each other like “daww it’s all good man, just clean it up a bit! #UConnluv”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty sure Larrier knows he needs to make those when the game is on the line, and that Adams knows his sloppiness with the ball kept the game a lot closer than it should have been. Still, rather childish by both.
I see it as kids/friends having a little ball busting fun. Lots of other things to be concerned with. I applaud the kids for being kids. I wish they would all play together more and thus smile more during games. I like a lot of these kids.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like he didn’t think that would be interpreted negatively, especially when HE wrote it that way?

Annoying a bit, but whatever.

Totally agree. He framed it that way.

Hey Big Dave - since we are wasting our time on your #fakenews what’s the deal with the Wilson sitch. How about maybe someone on the record.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. He framed it that way.

Hey Big Dave - since we are wasting our time on your #fakenews what’s the deal with the Wilson sitch. How about maybe someone on the record.
Someone please tweet back at him

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I didn't see the game, but going 2 of 16 from the 3pt line means we're not going far.
You choose THAT to make this prediction? Have you watched them at all this season? There are a million reasons they're not going far.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
so a couple 19-21 year olds who spend god knows how many hours together each day can't joke around with each other's shortcomings? harsh crowd..
Not there, not then. Too much of a piece with sloppy on the court that results in a 5 point win over a team that you probably agree wasn't stiff competition.

Reaction Score
Not there, not then. Too much of a piece with sloppy on the court that results in a 5 point win over a team that you probably agree wasn't stiff competition.

How old are you? Honestly? It's important to your view here.

Separately - is UConn stiff comp these days and does our crap situation impact the development of the 2 players in question?

Reaction Score
No, not at all.

Some of us in here are talking about personal accountability. I don’t want anyone saying anything about what anyone else in particular is doing.

I want Larrier to say “I’m gonna work on my free throws a bit because I had a chance to ice the game and didn’t” even in a half-joking manner

And I want Adams to say “I need to be more careful with the ball; my sloppiness is why this game stayed so close for so long” even in a half-joking manner

Not joking with each other like “daww it’s all good man, just clean it up a bit! #UConnluv”

Yup. These players are robots, not people with senses of humor or anything else. Write more scripts, please. someone's never been on a team ..

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How old are you? Honestly? It's important to your view here.

Separately - is UConn stiff comp these days and does our crap situation impact the development of the 2 players in question?

Hans Sprungfield (a.k.a Jebidiah Springfield) was born in 1774.

So old.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of ways that we can interpret the interactions of players and almost all of those interpretations are directly linked to the conclusion that we want to confirm.

Now, it's been evident for a while that something might be off here in a way that transcends talent. Mental makeup is really important in sports and I think a few of the guys on recent teams have suffered from the curse of great expectation - they followed a few guys in Giffey, Bazz, Daniels, and Boat that really set the bar about as high as you can set it.

We as fans have to balance the line between allowing for the fact that those guys were rare and also "holding them accountable" (as much as it makes me squirm to use that phrase as a fan, I can't think of anything else that fits here). One of my fears whenever a team is in the midst of an ugly season is that people will conflate reasonable expectation with "this is a symptom of why I'm not getting what I want." For example, it's a convention in sports that you're not supposed to be happy after a sub-optimal performance, even in a win. The fact that a normally laid back poster like tcf will blast the culture is indicative of how deeply ingrained this idea is. Not only do you have to harbor a cut-throat attitude during the course of play, but you also have to maintain it after there is no longer any practical value in doing so. Essentially, the idea is that the great competitors take the losses hard. I can follow that.

But there are a lot of different types of personalities and temperaments that co-exist throughout the spectrum of sport, and in many cases the same traits that we claim we want can actually submarine performance, and vice versa. I was the type of player in my limited basketball career who would take the losses extremely hard and overthink every situation. Did that always lend itself to me performing my best when it mattered the most? Of course not. On the contrary, it's frequently the players that enrage us the most - think Nick Young - for their perceived carelessness that are able to be the most loose on the big stage. The phrase "no conscience" is rooted in psychology - a player that isn't sober or aware of his environment cannot be effected by nerves. Some of our best, most clutch players have been guys like this - the Rashad Anderson's, the Marcus Willims', the Charlie Villanueva's, the Andre Drummond's...dudes who you could easily envision rolling with a loss but who at times used that relaxed nature to play their best basketball in big moments.

To be clear, this particular exchange sounds at least slightly problematic. "Turnover machine" isn't joking material, especially immediately after the game. If he had razzed Purvis about stepping out of bounds, that would be one thing, but to apply that label in a circumstance where it would have been preferable for Jalen to self-proclaim himself as such is taking a stab at the jugular regardless of intent.

I'm just saying that there are probably people on here who took Kemba's smiling as in indictment on his competitiveness and devotion to the game when he was struggling in 2010. I bet there were plenty of people who wanted Brimah to screw his head on right until he was taking a free throw to save our season - then we wanted the crazy guy who didn't know what gym he was in.

Guys like Bazz and Kemba and Boat are tough to find. The irony is that last year and two years ago I had had enough of D-Ham/Purvis/Facey and more kids like Jalen. Jalen, in my mind, had the toughness and the swagger of those guys. Most of all, I thought he was enough of an a-whole to keep guys in line. It's tough for me to pivot off of that position now because he is playing on a horrible team. Perhaps it is as simple as the fact that it takes a lot of nerve to be great. Most of the time you can't be care-free enough to excel under pressure AND competitive enough to go as far as you have to to get it. Most guys are one or the other, or some combination of. Your strength is because of your weakness. I just don't know how you would handicap that.

Reaction Score
Yup. These players are robots, not people with senses of humor or anything else.
And presumably have a sense of appropriate times to be joking around, or maybe not

Write more scripts, please.
Lol what are you even talking about

someone's never been on a team ..
Bwahahahaha and there it is

I think someone had a couple too many wine coolers tonight

Reaction Score
Just some good old fashioned ball busting among teammates. After a W, it's all good, fam.
That's how I see it too. This is what guys do, especially with your main boys!

Reaction Score
Old JC would never tolerate this kind of talk, joke or not. Personally I don't see it as " goofing on each other". They should learn to keep their mouths shut.

Reaction Score
Yup. These players are robots, not people with senses of humor or anything else. Write more scripts, please. someone's never been on a team ..

Guessing that someone may be you that was never on a team? It's called a sense of where a team stands, which they don't have either way you swing it in this case. Kind of tells you the makeup of the players, these are the older kids and shouldn't be satisfied walking out of that building with the way they played.

But hey, they pulled it out again what a great win huh.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of ways that we can interpret the interactions of players and almost all of those interpretations are directly linked to the conclusion that we want to confirm.

Now, it's been evident for a while that something might be off here in a way that transcends talent. Mental makeup is really important in sports and I think a few of the guys on recent teams have suffered from the curse of great expectation - they followed a few guys in Giffey, Bazz, Daniels, and Boat that really set the bar about as high as you can set it.

We as fans have to balance the line between allowing for the fact that those guys were rare and also "holding them accountable" (as much as it makes me squirm to use that phrase as a fan, I can't think of anything else that fits here). One of my fears whenever a team is in the midst of an ugly season is that people will conflate reasonable expectation with "this is a symptom of why I'm not getting what I want." For example, it's a convention in sports that you're not supposed to be happy after a sub-optimal performance, even in a win. The fact that a normally laid back poster like tcf will blast the culture is indicative of how deeply ingrained this idea is. Not only do you have to harbor a cut-throat attitude during the course of play, but you also have to maintain it after there is no longer any practical value in doing so. Essentially, the idea is that the great competitors take the losses hard. I can follow that.

But there are a lot of different types of personalities and temperaments that co-exist throughout the spectrum of sport, and in many cases the same traits that we claim we want can actually submarine performance, and vice versa. I was the type of player in my limited basketball career who would take the losses extremely hard and overthink every situation. Did that always lend itself to me performing my best when it mattered the most? Of course not. On the contrary, it's frequently the players that enrage us the most - think Nick Young - for their perceived carelessness that are able to be the most loose on the big stage. The phrase "no conscience" is rooted in psychology - a player that isn't sober or aware of his environment cannot be effected by nerves. Some of our best, most clutch players have been guys like this - the Rashad Anderson's, the Marcus Willims', the Charlie Villanueva's, the Andre Drummond's...dudes who you could easily envision rolling with a loss but who at times used that relaxed nature to play their best basketball in big moments.

To be clear, this particular exchange sounds at least slightly problematic. "Turnover machine" isn't joking material, especially immediately after the game. If he had razzed Purvis about stepping out of bounds, that would be one thing, but to apply that label in a circumstance where it would have been preferable for Jalen to self-proclaim himself as such is taking a stab at the jugular regardless of intent.

I'm just saying that there are probably people on here who took Kemba's smiling as in indictment on his competitiveness and devotion to the game when he was struggling in 2010. I bet there were plenty of people who wanted Brimah to screw his head on right until he was taking a free throw to save our season - then we wanted the crazy guy who didn't know what gym he was in.

Guys like Bazz and Kemba and Boat are tough to find. The irony is that last year and two years ago I had had enough of D-Ham/Purvis/Facey and more kids like Jalen. Jalen, in my mind, had the toughness and the swagger of those guys. Most of all, I thought he was enough of an a-whole to keep guys in line. It's tough for me to pivot off of that position now because he is playing on a horrible team. Perhaps it is as simple as the fact that it takes a lot of nerve to be great. Most of the time you can't be care-free enough to excel under pressure AND competitive enough to go as far as you have to to get it. Most guys are one or the other, or some combination of. Your strength is because of your weakness. I just don't know how you would handicap that.

Champs, you're the Herman Melville of the boneyard!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Your thoughts are worth reading and you write well enough for me to offer that you should be well beyond using apostrophes to pluralize. Plus, your usage called for "affected" not "effected," and "self-proclaimed himself" is redundant.

Usually, I reserve pointing out such mistakes for posts that hit the bad vibes sweet spot where arrogance meets ignorance.

Keep writing.

My own two cents on Jalen is that he may be being asked to do too much, but we've seen something similar with Jerome in 2010 and Boat in 2015. Boat went out with sympathy, and Dyson went out without much. Jalen's story isn't complete but his stat line suggests someone with great abilities who is well-positioned to be a fan favorite.

Given that he's essentially in college working toward a career in competitive entertainment, it's not unreasonable to emphasize that skills development, game preparation, in-game focus, public persona, comic timing, leadership, learning from coaches & helping teammates are his remaining frontiers and worth taking seriously.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom