Check out this TN fan's blog on Geno . . . | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Check out this TN fan's blog on Geno . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I was thinking..If Geno doesn't Coach in 2016, who will you guys pick to replace him? My vote is Mrs McGraw, she has done great things so far.
Geno is irreplaceable! Why would USA Basketball want anything less than the best basketball coach on the planet to continue guiding Team USA?

Reaction Score
Just for a hoot I dropped in on the orange asylum after the game. I don't subscribe but I could read the thread titles.

On the other hand we have the "all class" Tamika Catchings. During the post game interview the reporter asked her if there was a bit of UTenn/UConn rivalry on Team USA and she replied "No, we all grew up."
Seems like many Lady Vol fans have migrated to this free site since the Summitt went pay. http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-lady-vols/ While there is still a lot of Uconn bashing and outrageous comments about Geno, (see the threads on the Geno lawsuit and the Can you cheer for USA womens basketball this year) it may be a tad more reasonable overall.

Reaction Score
I thought CP was great in the final, instead of taking the ball at the basket on her own, she passed and cut and scored on the return pass. Probably because she wanted to stay in the game.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm late to the party, so many of my points have already been made, but why should I let that stop me :)

First, thanks Biff, for both those clips. I remember both plays well. I agree that CP is very athletic and that helped her turn the second play into a spectacular one.

I also agree that some of the best athlete make it look easy. It's true in ballet, it's true in rock-climbing, that athlete work hard to make it look easy. Maya is also in the category of players who are so smooth, you think they are loping, until you realize they are outrunning the speedster on the other team.

As for the controversy, if I didn't know who CP was, and you told me she was a contender for the WNBA MVP, I wouldn't have believed it based upon the three games she started. OK performance, but nothing spectacular, and not as good as several of the bench players.

If you want to start CP, who do you sit?
Bird? I know, I know, CP can play any position, but point guard isn't her natural position, and if you don't have a point guard, you can use her, but when you have the best point guard in the world, why would you sit the best?

DT? Pretty much exactly the same analysis. DT may or may not be the absolute best player in the world. She had some stretches where she wasn't but she had some stretches where she was. But even if DT isn't the absolute best player in the world, she's a better guard than CP.

Tina? Yes, CP can play the post, and did when up against so-so and even decent college competition. But the reports were she didn't want to play the post. If you have a choice between one oft he best post players in the world, and someone who doesn't want to play the post and isn't as good at it, who would you pick?

That leaves Catch. If some orange fan wants to make an argument to sit Catch in favor of CP, bring it on. But I watched the first three games. Catch outplayed CP in those games.

I agree CP had some spectacular playing later on, (and I am not on board with the selfish comment), but her subsequent play isn't an argument against Geno, it supports Geno.

Maybe the orange process logical statements differently:

1. Three games starting - mediocre performance
2. Three games off the bench - excellent performance
3. Blue conclusion - off the bench gives better result
4. Orange conclusion - she should start more

(And, BTW, don't get your panties in a twist, "mediocre" relative to the best players in the world, which is pretty darn good)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Speaking of connecting on passes, that pass from Sue Bird to a streaking Maya Moore in the 2nd half of the game against France was a thing of beauty. The play begins at the 2:10 mark of the linked video:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/basketball/highlights-u-s-women-win-5th-consecutive-gold.html[/quote]
Yes - just spectacular. The first time I saw the pass I thought Sue had screwed the pooch in throwing the ball away because I though Maya wouldn't be able to get there. And then in floats Maya for the spectacular finish.
This play, and the one from I think Whalen in an earlier game were probably the most spectacular individual plays for USA. The Diana to CP3 was the third, and CP3's finger roll in the final was fourth.

Reaction Score
I'm late to the party, so many of my points have already been made, but why should I let that stop me :)

First, thanks Biff, for both those clips. I remember both plays well. I agree that CP is very athletic and that helped her turn the second play into a spectacular one.

I also agree that some of the best athlete make it look easy. It's true in ballet, it's true in rock-climbing, that athlete work hard to make it look easy. Maya is also in the category of players who are so smooth, you think they are loping, until you realize they are outrunning the speedster on the other team.

As for the controversy, if I didn't know who CP was, and you told me she was a contender for the WNBA MVP, I wouldn't have believed it based upon the three games she started. OK performance, but nothing spectacular, and not as good as several of the bench players.

If you want to start CP, who do you sit?
Bird? I know, I know, CP can play any position, but point guard isn't her natural position, and if you don't have a point guard, you can use her, but when you have the best point guard in the world, why would you sit the best?

DT? Pretty much exactly the same analysis. DT may or may not be the absolute best player in the world. She had some stretches where she wasn't but she had some stretches where she was. But even if DT isn't the absolute best player in the world, she's a better guard than CP.

Tina? Yes, CP can play the post, and did when up against so-so and even decent college competition. But the reports were she didn't want to play the post. If you have a choice between one oft he best post players in the world, and someone who doesn't want to play the post and isn't as good at it, who would you pick?

That leaves Catch. If some orange fan wants to make an argument to sit Catch in favor of CP, bring it on. But I watched the first three games. Catch outplayed CP in those games.

I agree CP had some spectacular playing later on, (and I am not on board with the selfish comment), but her subsequent play isn't an argument against Geno, it supports Geno.

Maybe the orange process logical statements differently:

1. Three games starting - mediocre performance
2. Three games off the bench - excellent performance
3. Blue conclusion - off the bench gives better result
4. Orange conclusion - she should start more

(And, BTW, don't get your panties in a twist, "mediocre" relative to the best players in the world, which is pretty darn good)

Reaction Score
Maybe the orange process logical statements differently

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
After starting to read a few pages of this thread, why do any of you care? Seriously, why? It is the opinion of a Tennessee fan. Is this person a credentialed member of the media? Does this person have a journalism degree? Is this person part of any national press groups? Has she/he been interviewed as an expert on television? Is this person employed by a sports media outlet?

It seems as if the word "no" answers each and every of the questions listed above.

There will be Tennessee fans who irrationally hate all things UConn. There will be UConn fans who are completely biased against any other school. Why is this a surprise?

And does it change the fact that Geno just lead Team USA to the gold medal, destroying countries by 34 points per game? The answer to that question, dear Yarders, is also "no."

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Seriously, why? It is the opinion of a Tennessee fan. Is this person a credentialed member of the media?

I don't particularly hold the credentialed members of the media in all that much regard. Some more than others, but I can think of bloggers whose opinion I respect more than almost all media reporters.

Does this person have a journalism degree?

I have no idea, but I don't know how strong the correlation is between having a journalism degree and having a clue.

Is this person part of any national press groups? Has she/he been interviewed as an expert on television? Is this person employed by a sports media outlet?

I don't think you are in that category, but I hold your opinion in more esteem than most "experts".

Frankly, it is mostly a source of amusement. I know there are some casual fans who post at the Boneyard who come out with some, uh, eyebrow rasing comments.

But it is a source of amusement that someone can spend as much time as this person does watching the sport, and still have such a biased view.

I also think there's a sociological phenomenon going on— what can happen in anecho chamber which doesn't alolow outside challenges. If someone posts something inane at the Boneyard, some is likely to call them on it. I'm not pretending that such posts are always caught, I'm not pretending there isn't a UConn bias to many posts here, but no one would get away with the type of posting that is accepted, even encouraged at some other sites. It arises because they've shut out the rest of the world.

There was a time when a little bit of debate was allowed, but mewling masses didn't brook much dissent from the party line. And many oft he mods were part of it.

I used to post there, but eventually learned that if you were to say anything not approved by the party line, you were eventually going to get banned. You of all people should know this - I've seen very neutral posts by you get skewered because they were orange enough.

They were successful in driving out anyone who dared to disagree, but they couldn't stop people from laughing at their excess in other places, so they took the only logical step - they walled themselves off from the rest of the world. Now, not only will no one tell them they have no clothes, but they won't have to worry about accidentally seeing orange koolaid exposed in other forums.

Interestingly, this means they will probably ratchet up the weirdness, and we may see UConn blamed for the decline of Western civilization. Just wait.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
After starting to read a few pages of this thread, why do any of you care? Seriously, why? It is the opinion of a Tennessee fan. Is this person a credentialed member of the media? Does this person have a journalism degree? Is this person part of any national press groups? Has she/he been interviewed as an expert on television? Is this person employed by a sports media outlet?

It seems as if the word "no" answers each and every of the questions listed above.

There will be Tennessee fans who irrationally hate all things UConn. There will be UConn fans who are completely biased against any other school. Why is this a surprise?

And does it change the fact that Geno just lead Team USA to the gold medal, destroying countries by 34 points per game? The answer to that question, dear Yarders, is also "no."
Simple answer - because it is fun to get our knickers in a twist!
Second answer - because with the Olympics over we are desperate to fill time between now and start of the college season (or at least practices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom