Cheating in golf | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cheating in golf

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is the type of person I absolutely lose it on before too long. The “Are you sure?” comment would make me consider throwing punches. I hate that kind of mofo.
It’s brutal

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
In our last member guest we were in a flight with two orthopedic surgeons. The member who I didn’t know was a 36 hcp. We played them first and beat them then proceeded to tie every other pair in our flight. We ended up second in our flight to the ortopods who beat every other pair in our flight. Oh and the 36 hcp? He won longest drive and one of the closest to the pins! Hmmm

Reaction Score
In our last member guest we were in a flight with two orthopedic surgeons. The member who I didn’t know was a 36 hcp. We played them first and beat them then proceeded to tie every other pair in our flight. We ended up second in our flight to the ortopods who beat every other pair in our flight. Oh and the 36 hcp? He won longest drive and one of the closest to the pins! Hmmm
Check his bio for college golf scholarship.

Reaction Score
Just,curious, how widespread is cheating in golf? I recently joined a high end private club. I noticed people taking lies in the woods and rough, and sometimes on the fairways. I always played that once on the tee, you don’t touch the ball again until on the green. I also post all my scores. I’m a 10 handicap. I played with a guy today that is a 15 handicap and shot 2 over on the front nine, finished with an 82. He can birdie any hole on the course, This is not an easy course, mid 130’s slope. He was around almost every green in regulation, He’s long off tee and has excellent touch around the green. He also prefers to keep his own score on his cellphone. He wins a lot, although we don’t play for much, it is still very hard to watch. I’ve been around some very solid single digit handicaps, and he plays many holes like a solid single digit player.

I haven’t played in any club tournaments yet, there is some serious money in those. I would hate to have him in my flight. I’ve never seen more blatant handicap management and cheating on the course in my 55 years playing.

He picks his ball up as if to identify it, then places down, always with a good lie. He did this multiple times today.

The problem is he plays in a group that I like playing with every weekend.

Others are aware as well, they drop comments, but this guy always has an answer.

i was a member for many years at another very nice private club. Never saw this. There were a few guys with the opposite problem, handicaps that they could never play to.

I do enjoy playing this course. It’s very nice and challenging. The members are mostly very well off, but most are very friendly.
Sadly, cheating in golf has gotten way out of hand. I always followed the rules, and was almost always irritated when I played with people who brag about their game, improve the lies of the ball, and brag about winning against other when using their handicap....Golf is a good representation of how people deal with life and they are as a person. Playing by the rules or cheating, etc.

Reaction Score
A long time ago I played with a group of maybe 16 players. We always played with the same partner over the years. All of us were mid to upper single digits. We played no strokes. I miss those days. We were all pretty close so no one dominated.

As for moving the ball, I’m comfortable doing that in the fairways if it’s the local rule. But not when off the fairway. Playing in a tournament or any money match, that is cheating. Not posting all scores accurately is also cheating.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Punch him in the throat every time he touches his golf ball anywhere but the tee box. Even if he marks his ball on the green, throat punch.

View attachment 68990
WTH is that dude like a vulcan or something?

"... and sleep..."

Reaction Score
Golf is like spades, cheating is a part of the game.

on a serious note though, everyone golfs for different purposes & reasons. Find someone who’s values align closest to yours

Reaction Score
Just,curious, how widespread is cheating in golf? I recently joined a high end private club. I noticed people taking lies in the woods and rough, and sometimes on the fairways. I always played that once on the tee, you don’t touch the ball again until on the green. I also post all my scores. I’m a 10 handicap. I played with a guy today that is a 15 handicap and shot 2 over on the front nine, finished with an 82. He can birdie any hole on the course, This is not an easy course, mid 130’s slope. He was around almost every green in regulation, He’s long off tee and has excellent touch around the green. He also prefers to keep his own score on his cellphone. He wins a lot, although we don’t play for much, it is still very hard to watch. I’ve been around some very solid single digit handicaps, and he plays many holes like a solid single digit player.

I haven’t played in any club tournaments yet, there is some serious money in those. I would hate to have him in my flight. I’ve never seen more blatant handicap management and cheating on the course in my 55 years playing.

He picks his ball up as if to identify it, then places down, always with a good lie. He did this multiple times today.

Others are aware as well, they drop comments, but this guy always has an answer.

i was a member for many years at another very nice private club. Never saw this. There were a few guys with the opposite problem, handicaps that they could never play to.

I do enjoy playing this course. It’s very nice and challenging. The members are mostly very well off, but most are very friendly.
big-lebowski-lebowski.gif

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think you have to kick this thread out of the woods and into the OT fairway. Some people just don’t observe the rules of the club.

Reaction Score
I don’t golf but some of this is surprising to me. I would have figured there are more guys that lie about having low handicaps and brag about it but I’m seeing here that there are more that are better players than their handicap would indicate and use that as a way to win.

Reaction Score
If he wasn’t a member I’d say he sounds like a good friend of mine. Played a lot as a kid but now only 2-3x year so his game isn’t consistent. I’ve seen him hit the ball 300+, hit the green from 250 out and still shoot 100+.

Reaction Score

Quite frankly ... this is about your own self identity. I know when I am cutting corners and it is all in my head as to true score and handicap. For a 20 handicap, you see an awful lot more little things like improving lies ... and then the championship season, things turn tense. I think you often see clubs turn on this. People don't want to play with those that have the reputation of going beyond the reasonable rulebreaks.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pro tip: do not bet on any sport in which you are an active participant to avoid the bell curve of folks that you will encounter if u do. ya know, the margins occupied by either the wholly scrupulous or the wholly unscrupulous, and the vast majority of those in the middle who magically turn into lawyers depending upon the situation, ie 'i don't usually take a mulligan, bbut, bbut...'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Usually played to an agreed upon set of rules, modified or not. As long as we play the same game and a poor shot was not rewarded, I was ok with it so never had much problem. Always asked how you wanted to play it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two things bug me..The guy who gets to the green ahead of the foursome and attempts to make his putt.. If he misses-gives himself the "gimme" putt coming back instead of putting out.--even if out of gimme range.

And the guy who tries to get in your head after your first good shot/putt.. Just be quiet and respect the game/your opponent. Bustin' among friends is ok but not in a competitive game/match.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Could just be an extremely inconsistent player. I suck. Like I really suck. But I still manage to have one or two really nice shots every round.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Cheating? Never happens.

pshaw. i taught that guy everything he knows. deep bunkers? limber up ur pitching arm... 'hey gang! check out that blue heron hiding in the tree!' 'is that elvis standing on the next tee?'
and, should yelling 'winter rules!' in florida, the gulf coast, southern kali, and hawaii be grounds for summary execution?' deep thoughts....

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As a casual player, I'm in the who cares category. I don't keep a handicap, and we don't play for money. Speed of play matters more. Close putts are "good". If I pull a ball from the woods and drop it, yes I take the penalty stroke. My drop is likely to be a bit favorable. But remember too, public courses are such that a true drop can be rather unfair given conditions of the course. Playing at a nice private course, I rarely find any cause to improve my lie, because my ball isn't on hard bare dirt, a root or a rock.

The people I'd like to see throat punched are those that spend more than 30 seconds lining up a putt or taking practice swings from the fairway. Hit the ball and get moving. You aren't at The Masters.

Reaction Score
I once played in our course Match Play Championship.
I was a 14 handicap and drew a guy I knew who was a legitimate 7-8. He could break 80 falling out of bed.
Somehow before the Tournament he balloons up 12-13 . He had to put in a bunch of bad scores to get there. We had a machine that recalculated our handicap and since we played every day it took a significant period of time to move in either direction.
I played him around even for 9 but when you get behind and press its downhill from there. Remember he is out driving me by 30-40 yards on every hole.
and I loose 4-3. He ended up winning the tourney and making a bunch of enemies.
With real handicaps the pressure is on him not me and the outcome is different. I wasn’t going to win it all but it would have been nice to have an even shot.
For you non golfers
If we played legitimate handicaps
I would get one stroke on each of the 7 hardest holes.
Since he is a longer hitter than me the long par 4 usually would be among the hardest. He might be able to par the hole but with a stroke a boggie gives me half .
Im as good as him ,maybe better , as short irons were my strength. on the par 3‘s and all but the longest 5’s again where I’m getting a stroke .
I played in a mulligan event which to everyone’s surprise no one really made a big score improvement.

Reaction Score
As a casual player, I'm in the who cares category. I don't keep a handicap, and we don't play for money. Speed of play matters more. Close putts are "good". If I pull a ball from the woods and drop it, yes I take the penalty stroke. My drop is likely to be a bit favorable. But remember too, public courses are such that a true drop can be rather unfair given conditions of the course. Playing at a nice private course, I rarely find any cause to improve my lie, because my ball isn't on hard bare dirt, a root or a rock.

The people I'd like to see throat punched are those that spend more than 30 seconds lining up a putt or taking practice swings from the fairway. Hit the ball and get moving. You aren't at The Masters.
Amen . Some guys even argue for 5 minutes on whose out. That’s justification for murder.
I once got behind our local HS playing a practice round . These kids take 100 practice swings before every shot. The last foursomes are always the highest handicap so they take a lot of shots.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
As long as you play your 18 in 3:30 or less I don't care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom