"Cheating going on" in women's basketball | The Boneyard

"Cheating going on" in women's basketball

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I call BS - if there is something she knows about step up and say something. If not . . .
That's a tough one - If she is told by a recruit "I chose (other school) because the coach promised me XYZ", it's basically hearsay. More than that, she would put the student-athlete squarely in the cross hairs. I hate to think that female student athletes are getting inducements or incentives to attend certain schools - we all know Geno will never do that, which could put him at a disadvantage and hasten his decision to retire...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nah, she's clearly talking South Carolina, Baylor and Tennessee. The first two because they won NCs in years UConn didn't when it was supposed to be ND's god given turn. Tennessee, because, well, they keep getting top recruits despite clueless coaching since PS left.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Must be cheating going on, because Muffet only won 1 NC, and that's when UConn suffered catastrophic injuries and D's worst 1/2 of basketball ever....
If I didn't know better, Bags, I might think you're mocking a career that's produced exactly one national championship in 35 years. May I join you?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Must be cheating going on, because Muffet only won 1 NC, and that's when UConn suffered catastrophic injuries and D's worst 1/2 of basketball ever....
LOL. No there was no cheating going on, UConn just got cheated.

Geez, when does practice begin.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I would had thought she was better than this. To simply toss something like this out there, with no specifics -- and really no generalities, either -- is ridiculous. A case of someone who should have thought before she talked.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, guys, but I don't get it. You don't think there is cheating that goes on in WBB recruiting (and re-recruiting) circles? She was fairly clear that it wasn't the same sort of issues as the men are having, because of the lack of funds.

I had fairly good sources within the RU community at one time and heard of 3 "for certain" and 2 "quite possible" situations whereby other programs continued to recruit individuals that were either already committed or already playing at Rutgers. I also know of several situations that were not necessary cheating, but "smelled" and so do you - the hiring of parents and or league coaches to Assistant or other positions within various programs. If RU had promised the late Apache Paschal an Assistant's position (as it was rumored he wanted) would he have continued to recommend RU to players instead of steering them away? And would that have been cheating if RU had promised him a position?

Be glad that you follow a school with a very clean record (the SEC nonsense notwithstanding). Likewise Rutgers. Not every program.

I will say I don't think it is particularly widespread, but there is no doubt in my mind that Muffet is correct. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Perhaps there is but even if that's the case making vague, sweeping, fact free announcements like this in the age of flash media is akin to squirting starter fluid onto the charcoal in your grill, onto the grill itself, onto the patio the grill is sitting on, the pile of steaks waiting to be grilled, some lawn gnomes, and then lighting a match with your sharp little tooth to flick backwards as you hurry away from the coming excitement.

Reaction Score
I clicked on the article to look for a nice meaty article and all I saw was two quotes. That's it?

That's all she wrote folks. Frankly the majority of fans probably believe there's cheating going on during recruiting. I don't believe Muffet has said anything new here. As you, it would have been nice for her to spill some beans.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
That's all she wrote folks. Frankly the majority of fans probably believe there's cheating going on during recruiting. I don't believe Muffet has said anything new here. As you, it would have been nice for her to spill some beans.
In the men's scandal those spilling the beans are losers who were caught and are now chiseling off prison time. So no way she will spill the beans.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I agree with the general theme of this thread if Ann McGraw has personal knowledge of specific instances of cheating, then she should reveal those programs and people. If she doesn't then it sounds like "sour grapes." It would be the essence of naivete to believe that no cheating occurs in CBB, but for such a high-profile WCBB to make such a sweeping and overly general allegation is strange....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
MM frequently speaks her mind without thinking, going back to her criticism of Stewie receiving NPOY over one of her own players. While it's certainly OK to feel that way, you probably need to keep that thought to yourself.

I suspect the same thing is true in recruiting. ND, UConn and others work hard to recruit top HS players. They allow themselves to believe they've got these players locked up only to lose some of them at the end.

There are many legitimate reasons to lose a recruit to another school: closer to home, friends at the school, academics, ability to play immediately, long term development, opportunity to win a championship, etc. But inevitably, there are rumors and innuendo surrounding a top recruit's decision, now fueled even more by the recent revelations in MBB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Come on, guys. Even the NCAA knows there is cheating and proving it is another matter. How can McGraw name names without getting in trouble with her peers? we know for sure there is cheating in the men's game. It took FBI investigations to prove it. All these years.

Reaction Score
MM frequently speaks her mind without thinking, going back to her criticism of Stewie receiving NPOY over one of her own players. While it's certainly OK to feel that way, you probably need to keep that thought to yourself.

I suspect the same thing is true in recruiting. ND, UConn and others work hard to recruit top HS players. They allow themselves to believe they've got these players locked up only to lose some of them at the end.

There are many legitimate reasons to lose a recruit to another school: closer to home, friends at the school, academics, ability to play immediately, long term development, opportunity to win a championship, etc. But inevitably, there are rumors and innuendo surrounding a top recruit's decision, now fueled even more by the recent revelations in MBB.
Spot on. People often assume a competitor has "crossed the line." That's a natural thought when you lose something. Unfortunately, as you say, oldude, Muffett often blurts things out....and there is this passive-aggressive thing she often displays....

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Come on, guys. Even the NCAA knows there is cheating and proving it is another matter. How can McGraw name names without getting in trouble with her peers? we know for sure there is cheating in the men's game. It took FBI investigations to prove it. All these years.

She states a near-truism. You don't name names, if you have only insider info but cannot prove it. She may be a catalyst for authorities to pay more attention. I have no problem with what she said.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Nah, she's clearly talking South Carolina, Baylor and Tennessee. The first two because they won NCs in years UConn didn't when it was supposed to be ND's god given turn. Tennessee, because, well, they keep getting top recruits despite clueless coaching since PS left.

I'm pretty sure this is probably her actual reasoning.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what to make of McGraw's statement. She says women's basketball does not have the "same problem." Is she saying women players are not being paid? If not, then what exactly is happening that falls under the rubric of "cheating?" She hopes "this is a wake-up call to clean that up," but she doesn't say what "that" is.

I don't doubt there are rules being broken in the women's game; that's been going on for decades. Recall some of the earliest cheating talk was in the late 1970s and a lot of fingers were pointed in the direction of Knoxville and one Pat Head. Those allegations mostly involved transfers, both tampering and incentives. With all of the transfers we're seeing maybe some of that stuff is still going on.

I would expect that more women's coaches are going to be asked about cheating in the wake of the scandal on the men's side. If so, I hope those coaches address the questions better than Muffet did.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom