Charlie Creme UCONN Praise | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charlie Creme UCONN Praise

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Please tell me what Baylor's weakness is? They are smashing teams without making a ton of outside shots.
Baylors greatest strength is the ability to throw a pass at 8 feet and have it caught at 9 feet. It's an unstoppable combination considering the space that KB takes up under the hoop and her sheer mass makes her very difficult to move. They are going to score consistently and rebound.

The best way to beat them is to play with numbers in transition taking advantage of the lack of speed of two starters compared to UConn's 5 starters. Then in the half court make the three's and any easy baskets that come available.

We win with an excellent shooting percentage and pressure on their guards (who are good) at the mid court area.

Reaction Score
I thought Brown and Cox were a formidable pair vs Stanford. I don’t view KB as over rated. Hope they get knocked off by Oregon.
Cox impresses me more but I can see why folks admire her game. For a big its great she has a nice mid-range shot. In the UConn game I just thought she was given the shot uncontested and did not see her dominate inside so my opinion on her is based on watching her in limited games. I do hope they get knocked off too but some irrational side of me likes the idea of beating them because we have lost to them recently (like LV, ND and if MSST was around them too.)

Reaction Score
If she doesnt know what the rules of a flagrant foul are, considering how many games she covered, perhaps she shouldnt question it.

of course one of the people, a UConn fan, responding to her tweet

[B]John Bennett[/B]‏ @[B]jcbjr[/B] Mar 29
More
Replying to @[B]MechelleV[/B]
Opting against @UConnWBB again, huh ...

I have noticed that her headlines when it comes to Geno seems to be attention grabbers and shows more of an anti-Uconn bias. Maybe just me and being sensitive...

Reaction Score
If she doesnt know what the rules of a flagrant foul are, considering how many games she covered, perhaps she shouldnt question it.

of course one of the people, a UConn fan, responding to her tweet

[B]John Bennett[/B]‏ @[B]jcbjr[/B] Mar 29
More
Replying to @[B]MechelleV[/B]
Opting against @UConnWBB again, huh ...

I can assure you from first hand experience. If you've ever gotten up into that position and thought you might cartwheel, you'll grab at anything to avoid it. It doesn't mean that you're trying to hurt someone.

Reaction Score
I am very happy to be where we are. No one though we would get here. Anything else will be icing on the cake.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Voepel was also the one who questioned the flagrant foul by Drummer on UCLA on Lous head and neck, last Friday.
I dont think she is a KLS/UConn fan. I met her briefly a couple of years ago. Just a gut feeling, I could be wrong.

Mechelle Voepel has covered women's basketball since 1984. She joined ESPN.com in 1996 as a women’s college and pro basketball writer. In addition, she has covered both the Summer and Winter Olympics, the Women's World Cup soccer tournament, and several professional golf major tournaments. She has attended over 20 straight Women’s Basketball Final Fours.

But her questioning whether something was a flagrant foul (specifically wondering if the foul was intentional) and your brief meeting with her a couple of years ago form the basis for your opinion that she is both not a fan of Katie Lou Samuelson and not a fan of UConn?

As an aside, I have heard Rebecca Lobo, Kara Lawson, Debbie Antonelli, Doris Burke, etc. (among WCBB analysts/commentators) and Jeff Van Gundy, Doris Burke, Marc Jackson, etc. (among NBA analysts/commentators) question flagrant fouls and wondering if they were intentional. I did not conclude that there was any inherent bias against the player who was the recipient of the flagrant foul.

As an aside, calling fouls in basketball has an objective component (the respective rulebooks of the NBA, NBA, MBB, WBB, etc.) as well as the subjective component by the individual official or the officiating team for that game. If it were completely open and obvious, coaches (and players) would not be so irate about calls that went against them. Heck, I was discussing figure skating in a similar manner. IJS has a points system for values of base elements and technical requirements. But even then, was the triple Lutz off an inside or outside edge? What was the caller's vantage point? And why is there so much variance in the PCS (program components) scores? There will always be an element of subjectivity, even with objective standards, because people see and interpret things differently?

As a second aside, I do have a bias, because Mechelle Voepel is a friend of mine whom I see in person 2-3 times per year and with whom I communicate on a weekly basis.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have noticed that her headlines when it comes to Geno seems to be attention grabbers and shows more of an anti-Uconn bias. Maybe just me and being sensitive...
Editors or site owners write the headlines, not the writer

Reaction Score
I look at it this way: the victory over Louisville and the advancement to the Final Four, represents vindication of the UConn program and status among its competitors. The two losses this season cast a dark shadow over the program along with the lack of recruits. At this point in time, I am completed satisfied with the accomplishments of the UConn Women's program and a win over ND would only be frosting on the cake. It does matter any more what others would and will say. UConn has proved it's point.

Two regular season losses cast a "dark shadow" over the Uconn program? Isn't that overstating it a little? Uconn lost only two games this season, both to eventual #1 seeds on the road. That isn't a dark shadow, that's an incredibly successful season. Heck, even Stewie lost 4 games in one season.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel has covered women's basketball since 1984. She joined ESPN.com in 1996 as a women’s college and pro basketball writer. In addition, she has covered both the Summer and Winter Olympics, the Women's World Cup soccer tournament, and several professional golf major tournaments. She has attended over 20 straight Women’s Basketball Final Fours.

But her questioning whether something was a flagrant foul (specifically wondering if the foul was intentional) and your brief meeting with her a couple of years ago form the basis for your opinion that she is both not a fan of Katie Lou Samuelson and not a fan of UConn?

As an aside, I have heard Rebecca Lobo, Kara Lawson, Debbie Antonelli, Doris Burke, etc. (among WCBB analysts/commentators) and Jeff Van Gundy, Doris Burke, Marc Jackson, etc. (among NBA analysts/commentators) question flagrant fouls and wondering if they were intentional. I did not conclude that there was any inherent bias against the player who was the recipient of the flagrant foul.

As an aside, calling fouls in basketball has an objective component (the respective rulebooks of the NBA, NBA, MBB, WBB, etc.) as well as the subjective component by the individual official or the officiating team for that game. If it were completely open and obvious, coaches (and players) would not be so irate about calls that went against them. Heck, I was discussing figure skating in a similar manner. IJS has a points system for values of base elements and technical requirements. But even then, was the triple Lutz off an inside or outside edge? What was the caller's vantage point? And why is there so much variance in the PCS (program components) scores? There will always be an element of subjectivity, even with objective standards, because people see and interpret things differently?

As a second aside, I do have a bias, because Mechelle Voepel is a friend of mine whom I see in person 2-3 times per year and with whom I communicate on a weekly basis.

Where did I ever say the foul was intentional?
I questioned whether she knew the rules of a flagrant foul is(unsportsmanlike foul is the correct terminology in the womens game). My actual post was If she doesnt know what the rules of a flagrant foul are, considering how many games she covered, perhaps she shouldnt question it.

Never did I say it was an intentional foul. actually it was Ms Vopel who said it was "intentional" in her tweet.

[B]Mechelle Voepel[/B]‏ @[B]MechelleV[/B] Mar 29

Was that really a flagrant foul by Drummer? She went up on the pump fake and had nowhere else to go coming down. Didn't seem intentional at all.

The actual wording of the rule is---
A flagrant 1 foul (men's) or unsportsmanlike foul (women's) involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player "swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders"

There doesnt have to be any intentional action by a player to commit an unsportsmanlike foul.
If one is going to go to social media and question a ruling she sees in a game( a game she has covered since 1984), I would hope she at least knows the rules.

I also said I could be wrong about her bias to UConn and KLS. I will take your word that she doesnt have a bias as I have read your posts here and other forums for many years and respect your opinion.

Best wishes to Duke down the road. They have a player, Jada Adams, who played with Lou at Mater Dei for a year or two . I root for her too.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think the reason why the unsportsmanlike foul was called was because the UCLA player's hands made contact with Lou's head and/or shoulders as she was coming back to earth from her jump. If she had kept her hands out of the action and just landed on Lou with her body, a common foul would have been called. I think the UCLA player may have been concerned about losing her balance and falling in a way that might have caused injury, so she used Lou as an anchor to prevent that. There was nothing malicious (I thought), just some contact with the hands that was unnecessary (from basketball standpoint) and obviously was not a play on the ball.

Reaction Score
I think the reason why the unsportsmanlike foul was called was because the UCLA player's hands made contact with Lou's head and/or shoulders as she was coming back to earth from her jump.... There was nothing malicious (I thought), just some contact with the hands that was unnecessary (from basketball standpoint) and obviously was not a play on the ball.
Lou herself said there was nothing malicious

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Where did I ever say the foul was intentional?
I questioned whether she knew the rules of a flagrant foul is(unsportsmanlike foul is the correct terminology in the womens game). My actual post was If she doesnt know what the rules of a flagrant foul are, considering how many games she covered, perhaps she shouldnt question it.

Never did I say it was an intentional foul. actually it was Ms Vopel who said it was "intentional" in her tweet.

@ochoopsfan , I believe we have a miscommunication. If that is the case, I apologize for not being clearer in my previous response to your post.

What I said (in my previous post) was:
(emphasis added by me -- CamrnCrz1974)

In other words, based on your posts in this thread, it was my understanding that your opinion as to what Mechelle Voepel thinks of KLS/UConn was based on her Twitter comment (in which Voepel questioned the foul) and your brief interaction with her a few years ago.

I was trying to convey that these two things were the bases for your opinion. I did not mean to say/imply/suggest that YOU said that foul was intentional. Rather, I was attempting to say that your opinion of Voepel's comment on Twitter where SHE questioned the foul (and where SHE had a question as to whether it was intentional) was one of the reasons for your belief as to her opinions of KLS and UConn.

Again, my apologies for the miscommunication.

The actual wording of the rule is---
A flagrant 1 foul (men's) or unsportsmanlike foul (women's) involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player "swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders"

There doesnt have to be any intentional action by a player to commit an unsportsmanlike foul.
If one is going to go to social media and question a ruling she sees in a game( a game she has covered since 1984), I would hope she at least knows the rules.

As for the rules, you are correct -- a flagrant or unsportsmanlike foul may be purposeful or unintentional.

However, "intent" is very, very frequently brought up in discussions by announcers of whether something should be called as a flagrant/unsportsmanlike foul. In my experience, in both men's and women's basketball, the announcer's discussion and reference to "intent" most frequently occur in two contexts:
-- Two players going for a rebound where one player's elbow swings in the direction of and makes content with the opposing team's player's neck/face/head; and
-- A defender's foul of a player on a fast break/breakaway who is going in for a layup/dunk.

I did not find it inappropriate or out of line for Voepel to question "intent" in her Twitter comments, seeing as I have seen thousands and thousands of FIBA, NBA, WNBA, MCBB, and WCBB games broadcast over the years where announcers discuss intent in determining if a play is a common foul or a flagrant/intentional one. The announcers and commentators know the rules; they also know that referees/officials are human beings and, in the experience of the announcers and commentators (many of whom are former players) do consider "intent" as part of making the judgment call.

To me, this is a denotation/connotation issue. But I understand your vantage point (and, as an aside, thank you for posting the rule for the BY faithful so we all can see it) and see your perspective on the topic.

I truly apologize for any miscommunication. I certainly was not trying to put words into your mouth (or keyboard). I will attempt to be clearer with the points I am trying to make in my responses to your posts (and to everyone's posts).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom