Charlie Creme UCONN Praise | The Boneyard

Charlie Creme UCONN Praise

Reaction Score
This is a quote from Charlie Creme taken from ESPN's story today about the women's Final Four:

"If Walker and Williams are producing at a level commensurate with their abilities, similar to the way they did against Louisville, UConn might just have the best starting five in Tampa."

I couldn't agree more.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
This coming from Creme, who along with Voepel and Hayes, did not give Lou a vote on the top 2 ESPNW teams nor a vote in the all important :rolleyes: also receiving votes category. I value his opinions, along with his bracketology, as I do a raincoat in Death Valley in August.

Reaction Score
Having played at a high level.... and haven't missed a TV game since the 1990ies......I feel playing at their current level of expertise: this is one of the best balanced teams of all time..any one at any time, can come out of the blue and "Smash You"....
Coach's decision in keeping KLS out was a stroke of genius, for the teaching factor and confidence factor was/is immeasurable.
I feel that I would love to have this whole team come back in-tact for another year, what one year of polish would do... In just the Pure Basketball Sense
ND..Baylor...all have glaring weak points, Coach knows exactly how to punch and counter punch....
If the ref's let them play and no injuries...another banner on the wall....
And TonyC you can take that to the bank!!

Reaction Score
Having played at a high level.... and haven't missed a TV game since the 1990ies.I feel playing at their current level of expertise: this is one of the best balanced teams of all time..any one at any time, can come out of the blue and "Smash You"....
Coach's decision in keeping KLS out was a stroke of genius, for the teaching factor and confidence factor was/is immeasurable.
I feel that I would love to have this whole team come back in-tact for another year, what one year of polish would do... In just the Pure Basketball Sense
ND..Baylor...all have glaring weak points, Coach knows exactly how to punch and counter punch....
Love the optimism.... If they can be what they were at ND when they play ND again then we will be good. ND seemed to struggle last night but every week and game is different. I also think if/when we play a Balyor, KB is a bit overrated and she did most of her damage by leaving her wide open near the foul line. Obviously more goes into it, but to your point, if we can bring the balanced offense and good team defense we have as good as shot as anyone.

Reaction Score
Having played at a high level.... and haven't missed a TV game since the 1990ies.I feel playing at their current level of expertise: this is one of the best balanced teams of all time..any one at any time, can come out of the blue and "Smash You"....
Please tell me what Baylor's weakness is? They are smashing teams without making a ton of outside shots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Conditioning is suspect....Press--press--press...make a trip down the court equal to three normal trips...within 18 minutes the big's will have hands on knees...and that's only one of notable weakness...
Tell me more lol, I have only watched them in the tourney.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Make outside shots on them and they’re toast!

They contest the 3 pt shot as well as anyone. They are not afraid to run full steam outstretched to the 3 pt line because they have elite defensive protection in the post. I am not saying it cant be done but it will not be easy.

Reaction Score
They contest the 3 pt shot as well as anyone. They are not afraid to run full steam outstretched to the 3 pt line because they have elite defensive protection in the post. I am not saying it cant be done but it will not be easy.
Always told my son during his baseball playing days... it is not supposed to be easy, if it were easy, anyone could do it, and there wouldn't be much fun in competing. :);)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
This coming from Creme, who along with Voepel and Hayes, did not give Lou a vote on the top 2 ESPNW teams nor a vote in the all important :rolleyes: also receiving votes category. I value his opinions, along with his bracketology, as I do a raincoat in Death Valley in August.

ESPN had a first team and a second team.
The "also receiving votes" category had two players - Lauren Cox (Baylor) and Sophie Cunningham (Missouri). These were the two players who got either a first team or second team vote, but did not finish among the five selected for each team. It is not an honorable mention team.

And it is quite possible KLS would have been on the third team (had there been one). ESPN's Charlie Creme, Graham Hays, and Mechelle Voepel all could have easily voted for KLS for the third team for the AP All-America team -- where KLS was on the third team.

If you notice, the AP All-America first and second teams are exactly the same as ESPN's first and second teams. And with the AP, KLS had 58 votes, meaning she was the top vote-getter on the third team. Iowa State's Bridget Carleton had 60 votes as the last member of the second team.

Reaction Score
Love the optimism.... If they can be what they were at ND when they play ND again then we will be good. ND seemed to struggle last night but every week and game is different. I also think if/when we play a Balyor, KB is a bit overrated and she did most of her damage by leaving her wide open near the foul line. Obviously more goes into it, but to your point, if we can bring the balanced offense and good team defense we have as good as shot as anyone.
I thought Brown and Cox were a formidable pair vs Stanford. I don’t view KB as over rated. Hope they get knocked off by Oregon.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
ESPN had a first team and a second team.
The "also receiving votes" category had two players - Lauren Cox (Baylor) and Sophie Cunningham (Missouri). These were the two players who got either a first team or second team vote, but did not finish among the five selected for each team. It is not an honorable mention team.

And it is quite possible KLS would have been on the third team (had there been one). ESPN's Charlie Creme, Graham Hays, and Mechelle Voepel all could have easily voted for KLS for the third team for the AP All-America team -- where KLS was on the third team.

If you notice, the AP All-America first and second teams are exactly the same as ESPN's first and second teams. And with the AP, KLS had 58 votes, meaning she was the top vote-getter on the third team. Iowa State's Bridget Carleton had 60 votes as the last member of the second team.

Voepel was also the one who questioned the flagrant foul by Drummer on UCLA on Lous head and neck, last Friday.
I dont think she is a KLS/UConn fan. I met her briefly a couple of years ago. Just a gut feeling, I could be wrong.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Voepel was also the one who questioned the flagrant foul by Drummer on UCLA on Lous head and neck, last Friday.
I dont think she is a KLS/UConn fan. I met her briefly a couple of years ago. Just a gut feeling, I could be wrong.

She is a friend of mine. I can honestly tell you that you are incorrect.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score

Michelle is knowledgeable and a straight shooter. She might show a tiny bit of bias to her alma mater (and mine), the Uniersity of Missouri. She graduated the J-School there about 14 years after I did.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Please tell me what Baylor's weakness is? They are smashing teams without making a ton of outside shots.

Right now they don't appear to have any. They're sailing through the tournament in calm waters. Their closest MOV in the first 4 games is 25 pts (South Carolina 93-68). I thought Iowa could give them a run for their money, they couldn't.

Baylor beat a good 2 seed in Iowa by 32, outscoring them in the 2nd half 44-26. The twin towers of Brown & Cox are in sync, and giving opponents the blues. Baylor's only loss to Stanford came way back on December 15, over 3 months ago. I'm going out on a limb here and suggest that Baylor will be a pretty confident group going into this final weekend of tournament play. As bad as I hate to admit it, this just might be Baylor's year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Coach's decision in keeping KLS out was a stroke of genius!
I disagree, I think KLS was really hurt, and she still is. And the AAC championship was a no brainer for him to keep her out. However it did give Jeff W a false hope and it was a good bait.

Reaction Score
I look at it this way: the victory over Louisville and the advancement to the Final Four, represents vindication of the UConn program and status among its competitors. The two losses this season cast a dark shadow over the program along with the lack of recruits. At this point in time, I am completed satisfied with the accomplishments of the UConn Women's program and a win over ND would only be frosting on the cake. It does matter any more what others would and will say. UConn has proved it's point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom