Charlie Creme preseason rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charlie Creme preseason rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Duke gets Chelsea Gray back at 100%, she and Alexis Jones are as good as any backcourt. Duke once again has a lineup full of future pros and should be able to do better against UConn. Notre Dame will still have multiple future pros in Achonwa, Loyd and McBride. That is still more elite talent than almost any other team. Baylor's Alexis Prince had foot surgery in the offseason and am not sure all the details. The same foot caused her to miss a season of HS ball.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If Duke gets Chelsea Gray back at 100%, she and Alexis Jones are as good as any backcourt. Duke once again has a lineup full of future pros and should be able to do better against UConn. Notre Dame will still have multiple future pros in Achonwa, Loyd and McBride. That is still more elite talent than almost any other team. Baylor's Alexis Prince had foot surgery in the offseason and am not sure all the details. The same foot caused her to miss a season of HS ball.

thats the key word ... should........ the 2010-2011 squad had 3 seniors who are still playing in the wnba along with that talented freshman class and both meetings got blasted by 35+ points.... they should have been able to do better. I honestly cant remember the final score of last years game.... its pretty much erased from my memory..... but they should have been made it a closer matchup than it was....This years matchup should be an interesting game down in Durham. Should be.... but I've thought that for the past 4 seasons

Again... I've pretty much erased last years game from my memory... all I remember is that the game was played on a Monday night..... no need for anyone to remind me of the score.. though Im sure someone will :rolleyes:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
According to the Baylor site, she had surgery in both feet for stress fractures.

I agree bout Duke. They should do better against Uconn.

Probably ten points better. Uconn by 20.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If Duke gets Chelsea Gray back at 100%, she and Alexis Jones are as good as any backcourt. Duke once again has a lineup full of future pros and should be able to do better against UConn.

I would hope so. The game against UConn is at Cameron and Duke will be looking to do better than a 30-point loss.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would hope so. The game against UConn is at Cameron and Duke will be looking to do better than a 30-point loss.

My appetite is hoping so too....... my post game ritual is a trip to http://www.chargrillusa.com/ for the 1/2 hamburger steak, fries, and a mountain dew...... needless to say... without a better showing... no trip to chargrill for me...

Reaction Score
I think Tennessee deserves a high position.

Definitely.
They went 14-2 in the SEC last year, and should do no worse this year with the addition of Russell and return of Carter, while their top competition lost Mathies and Bone.

Dunno about them winning at Stanford though.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Definitely.
They went 14-2 in the SEC last year, and should do no worse this year with the addition of Russell and return of Carter, while their top competition lost Mathies and Bone.

Dunno about them winning at Stanford though.
Also Graves and I see Burdick having a real good year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As good as Tenn was and is on paper....well the paper is another way of saying GO Lady Vols. LOL only kidding.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is a top 5 team.

Stanford is way too high but having Chiney will give you that. Poor thing has no help though. It will be the Chiney show all year.

L'ville brings back their entire team with the exception of Reid. Didn't this team make the Championship game? And how are they ranked preseason #8?!?

Duke on paper is ranked #2. They have the players but coaching brings them down. Sorry Coach McCallie

Tennessee ....big question mark! If Simmons learns how to pass and use her quickness for the benefit of the team and not just her shot UT will be a hard team to beat.

Maryland was a good team last year despite so many injuries. With all their players back they should be a top 5 team.

UNC will only be as good as Hatchell is. So who knows. They sure got the talent

LSU & Penn St are my sleepers.

UCONN wins #9 in NASHVILLE !!!!!!

Reaction Score
L'ville brings back their entire team with the exception of Reid. Didn't this team make the Championship game? And how are they ranked preseason #8?!?

Louisville is a tough one. Are they the team that made it to the NC, or the team that went 23-8 during the season (including just 6-5 in Away games)?

Reaction Score
Nebraska? How can they be ranked better than ND this year? Maybe I am the only one but I do not see Duke as a number 2 If they are 2 and Stanford is 4, I see a lot of upsets in the NCAA Tournament. I have never been Impressed with Stanford.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Louisville is a tough one. Are they the team that made it to the NC, or the team that went 23-8 during the season (including just 6-5 in Away games)?

While I agree that they (Louisville) are tough to predict, I don't buy into the fact that a great season = a great NCAA run and a so-so season necessarily precludes a final 4. Yes, the truly dominant teams like UConn consistently and various other programs at times tend to show up as expected in the final 4 (or at least elite 8) after seasons with 3 or less losses. But that's not necessarily typical for every programs. Some gaudy regular season records bow out early and some mediocre season records (including Rutgers several years) make it to the Elite 8 or beyond.

And, regarding Svetbird's comment about never being impressed with Stanford - all I can say is they are pretty impressive to me. Consistent top 10 team; consistently best in conference - which has, at times, had 2 or 3 other good teams in a given year, many deep runs into the tourney, etc.

As a side-note, part of the reason the PAC is viewed as weak is because they really don't play that competitive of out of conference schedules. This really hurts the RPI, and given that a few teams have been truly dreadful of late years, and it is hard to get a true reading of how good PAC teams are. Of course, the primary reason that they have weak schedules is that there just isn't a lot of good schools in the far west that aren't in-conference. End of Rant.

U

UCONNfan1

Everyone's got an opinion and theory. Creme's was published March 17. Since then Kokenis retired, Tucker quit, but Stewart, and somewhat surprisingly, Tuck came on gangbusters. Oh and KML and Bria shone as well for Team USA.

UCONN - obvious
Duke - obvious
Notre Dame - Lost Diggins but get back 3 potential AA's as well as an excellent freshman class. Just look at Loyd to see how well Mufett can do with a freshman starter.
Maryland - Did really well last year in spite of losing most of their guards to injuries. Get them all back plus Thomas is a total beast.
Louisville - Took out Baylor, Tennessee, and Cal on their way to the NC game and bring all 5 starters back. Lack height tho.
Stanford - Lost Kokenis. Huge loss. That's why they aren't #4. But they have Orrange and Ogwumike.
Tennessee - Russell won't start, Carter hasn't played a game yet, and they lost Tucker. Also lost their 2 best players during the NCAA's. The best player on their team (Graves) is a sophomore.
Kentucky - Lost Mathias, but add Harper. She's a stud.
UNC - Were solid last year and only add more this year
Oklahoma - also could have put Cal or aTm here. Kind of a WAG on my part for #10...

It's only preseason. Not a lot of parity and a lot of drop off after #1 and 2, just like last season. But I honestly think the top 4 are who we see in the final 4. Unless they make Tennessee a 1 seed and give them UNC as their 2 seed...

Reaction Score
I think Tennessee deserves a high position. I was thinking 4th, but Stanford losing Kokenis is a big deal. Maryland looks better on paper, but don't they always? I think ND loses a lot, but I thought that last year, so with the addition of Reimer and the growth of Loyd, they may well be under-rated. Baylor at 12? Not early, if anyone has the guts to rank them high, they shouldn't lose a game with that schedule, and might slide up into the top 6 or 7 as other teams who actually scheduled opponents stumble. But once they actually play some teams, they should drop back down.

Dayton may be too low - a team to watch.

I hope WV can crack the top 25, they struggled last year, but had some injury problems.
I agree with your assessment of Baylor. Most writers seem to rank any national team highly if they have very few or no losses and I think the Big 12 isn't going to be very competitive this year, meaning Baylor might skate through it with little or no trouble. It's when they play a team that's actually good, particularly away from home where they'll stumble and probably quite badly. Sims is great and they may have some decent athletes but there is no way I think they'll compete against the elite teams. If they break into the top 10, it'll be due to a very uncompetitive schedule and that bubble will surely bust down the road.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Everyone's got an opinion and theory. Creme's was published March 17. Since then Kokenis retired, Tucker quit, but Stewart, and somewhat surprisingly, Tuck came on gangbusters. Oh and KML and Bria shone as well for Team USA.

UCONN - obvious
Duke - obvious
Notre Dame - Lost Diggins but get back 3 potential AA's as well as an excellent freshman class. Just look at Loyd to see how well Mufett can do with a freshman starter.
Maryland - Did really well last year in spite of losing most of their guards to injuries. Get them all back plus Thomas is a total beast.
Louisville - Took out Baylor, Tennessee, and Cal on their way to the NC game and bring all 5 starters back. Lack height tho.
Stanford - Lost Kokenis. Huge loss. That's why they aren't #4. But they have Orrange and Ogwumike.
Tennessee - Russell won't start, Carter hasn't played a game yet, and they lost Tucker. Also lost their 2 best players during the NCAA's. The best player on their team (Graves) is a sophomore.
Oklahoma - also could have put Cal or aTm here. Kind of a WAG on my part for #10...

It's only preseason. Not a lot of parity and a lot of drop off after #1 and 2, just like last season. But I honestly think the top 4 are who we see in the final 4. Unless they make Tennessee a 1 seed and give them UNC as their 2 seed...
It was originally published March 17 but since updated. I'm just not sure when.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
UCONN - obvious
Duke - obvious

It's only preseason. Not a lot of parity and a lot of drop off after #1 and 2, just like last season. But I honestly think the top 4 are who we see in the final 4. Unless they make Tennessee a 1 seed and give them UNC as their 2 seed...[/quote]
Just to clarify Carter did play in seven games last year. And while Spani a good offensive player. Who has a nice shot is gone. She isn't as fast or athletic as most of the team. So I think this years team is faster and more athletic.

Reaction Score
UCONN - obvious
Duke - obvious not really , they have been underachievers
Maryland - Did really well last year ? in spite of losing most of their guards to injuries. Get them all back plus Thomas is a total beast. The ACC was weak last year. MD was crushed twice by UConn ,and Duke .
Kentucky - Lost Mathias, but add Harper. She's a stud. offense is lacking
UNC - Were solid last year and only add more this year Solid ? Rolle was a big loss

U

UCONNfan1

It was originally published March 17 but since updated. I'm just not sure when.
Oh I did not realize he updated his list. Still, his list is as meh as mine is. Seriously I have no idea. All that matters in the end is who is #1 on April whatever - after the NC game. Smart money's on UCONN...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just to clarify Carter did play in seven games last year. And while Spani a good offensive player. Who has a nice shot is gone. She isn't as fast or athletic as most of the team. So I think this years team is faster and more athletic.

Faster is not always better.

Williams was quick enough and maybe the best on the ball defender. You can hope that the inexperienced Carer can replace that. But you will need more than the 5 ppg and 2 apg in 20 mpg that she averaged her first 7 games last year fore testing injured.

You can't diminish the contributions of Williams and Spani.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Williams was quick enough and maybe the best on the ball defender. You can hope that the inexperienced Carer can replace that. But you will need more than the 5 ppg and 2 apg in 20 mpg that she averaged her first 7 games last year fore testing injured.

Before the injury I think Carter was starting to play well. Her on ball defense will make a difference. Add in a multi skilled 6'5 tall center. Who can block shots. I think both improves the defense.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Spani and Williams were Tennessee's best perimeter players in the E8 loss to Louisville last season. Massengale, Simmons and Burdick were not effective in the team's biggest game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Before the injury I think Carter was starting to play well. Her on ball defense will make a difference. Add in a multi skilled 6'5 tall center. Who can block shots. I think both improves the defense.
That was your imagination. She had one really really good game. 4-5 on three pointers for 16 points. 2-11 the other 6 games.

Williams led the team in steals. Carter will struggle to match that.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Tenn needs to play faster. It just seems like there are times that Simmons plays and shoots too fast for everyone. She is an interesting character, because there are times she looks really impressive. I'm not sure there is another player that compares when it comes to range of performances. I'll have to think about it.

Interestingly, I think in recent preseasons, most considered UConn, Baylor, Notre Dame and possibly Stanford as almost locks to get to the Final Four. Anybody else would've been considered an upset or surprise. This year it seems less is certain. Certainly Duke has the pieces in place, but they've yet to do it. Notre Dame seems possible, but there is the lingering doubt of life after Skylar. Diggins really resurrected Notre Dame in a way, because they had not been an "elite" team in roughly a decade before her. She really elevated the program and McGraw. They seem to have capitalized with the recruiting mojo, but I'm not convinced all their incoming freshman are quite as good as advertised. I am curious to see if Mabrey gets out of the doghouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom