Charlie Creme preseason rankings | The Boneyard

Charlie Creme preseason rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Stanford is too high especially considering that Kokenis will not be playing. IMO MD should be 4th.

Reaction Score
Louisville should be higher. If I am not mistaken they only lost one player.... They have a lot of talent and I am sure add in some new talent.

Tennessee while adding in new talent still needs to prove itself, I think they should be down a few spots, same with Stanford.

Kentucky probably deserves to be top four.

Reaction Score
I agree with the top 3. The next 5 or 6 teams seem closely matched and it's too close for me to call. Maryland, KY, Stanford, Louisville and possibly North Carolina (depending on how the freshmen gel) could all be ranked higher. It's way too early to rank teams anyway, but I enjoy reading why teams should be ranked higher. Maybe they should be.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Tennessee is too high and Louisville and Maryland should be higher.

I'm very interested to see how it shakes at in Chapel Hill.
I think Tenn is going to be dangerous this year! Maryland will be really good if they stay healthy. No Carolina to me can be very dangerous like the MD team that won the Nat Champ as fresmen and sophomores Renee Montgomery's freshman year!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Notre Dame got Taya Reimer- they will still be ver competitive!!! We tried for her desperately. No Carolina got Steph Mavunga also I think. uC tried hard for her too. NC is going to be vey athletic and dangerous!

Reaction Score
Duke, Stanford, UNC, and MD are all questionable.

Duke is slow, and struggles on offense. Stanford lacks guards and speed. UNC is young, and very thin in the post. MD loses 18 ppg in Hawkins, and Thomas is not a good ball handler (4.0 TO per game). MD has always been a terrible ball handling team, and their defense has never been a strength either.

Notre Dame could be the surprise team. They will be bigger, and Lloyd, McBride , and Allen could make up for the loss of Diggins.

Everyone is playing for second anyway

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
He didn't factor Stanford's loss of Kokenis, a superb PG, so I would knock them down a notch or two.

Notre Dame should be higher. Loyd will fill Diggins's shoes.

In some cases he seems to rely too heavily on incoming freshmen (e.g., Russell) or players returning from serious injuries.

He will likely reconsider this statement (or rue the day he wrote it): "Thomas, who along with Stanford's Ogwumike is the top candidate for national player of the year. . . ." Stewie and Kaleena can hold their own with either of those two. And they have!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think Stanford is too high especially considering that Kokenis will not be playing. IMO MD should be 4th.

He didn't factor Stanford's loss of Kokenis, a superb PG, so I would knock them down a notch or two.
!

well the rankings were done back in April.

Reaction Score
Rankings this early mean absolutely nothing. The games still have to be played. One thing I would like to say is that ranking Notre Dame 10th after what they have done the last three years is ridiculous. Even after loosing Skylar they still have a very solid team and an excellent coach.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Charlie leaves out Bria in his mention of the UConn big guns…A huge mistake.

I also like North Carolina's potential, expect Notre Dame and UTenn to be excellent, really like Graves…cool customer.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How will losing Diggins effect ND?
Baylor lost a lot but has a easy schedule.
Tennessee had more questions going into last year.
Can the fab freshman turn UNC into a top ten team?

Reaction Score
Louisville should be higher. If I am not mistaken they only lost one player.... They have a lot of talent and I am sure add in some new talent.

Tennessee while adding in new talent still needs to prove itself, I think they should be down a few spots, same with Stanford.

Kentucky probably deserves to be top four.
Louisville only lost Monique Reid I believe and they had 3 players out with injuries for most of the year. So did Maryland.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think Tennessee deserves a high position. I was thinking 4th, but Stanford losing Kokenis is a big deal. Maryland looks better on paper, but don't they always? I think ND loses a lot, but I thought that last year, so with the addition of Reimer and the growth of Loyd, they may well be under-rated. Baylor at 12? Not early, if anyone has the guts to rank them high, they shouldn't lose a game with that schedule, and might slide up into the top 6 or 7 as other teams who actually scheduled opponents stumble. But once they actually play some teams, they should drop back down.

Dayton may be too low - a team to watch.

I hope WV can crack the top 25, they struggled last year, but had some injury problems.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
My thoughts. UConn is unbeatable. Not a chance of them losing this season and next season most likely they will be undefeated too.

Duke will be playing UNC and ND multiple times. That could hurt them when tournament time comes. Duke is the second best team in WCBB. Defense and discipline will be key

Tenn. Will go as far as Graves will take them. She is a very good player but will need help. Russell is very good but like most freshman will need a season or two to develop and mature. She will back up Harrison. The guards need to make plays. Tenn has not proven to me that they are a top 4 team. On paper maybe, but on the court not yet. I do believe they are a top 10 team this season.

Stanford now with Toni out will have to see. Chiney will carry them but who else steps up. Not as clear as it was a couple of months ago. Good coaching and good team chemistry.

Maryland. Much like Tenn everything will go through Thomas. She too will need help. MD needs to play 40 minutes of defense.

Louisville will live and die by the trey. They lack height. Defenses will have to play perimeter defense. Good coaching and good team balance.

UNC. Young and talented. Discipline and defense will be a must. Traditionally its been along time since UNC had a flow on offense and any good defense. Its going to take time for UNCs underclassman to develop at the college game. With that said. A schedule that is weak could hurt them. The ACC has a lot of talent and imo Duke and ND are better coached.

ND. A very good passing team. Balance and they manage to get to the line a lot. IMO a top 5 legit team. Good coaching and good team chemistry.

After UConn any one of these teams could be a top 4 team. Experience coaching defense and team chemistry will be the difference. All these teams have go to players. They all need somebody else to step up. ND Stanford and Lousiville have the best coaching and team chemistry. Duke has the deepest talent. Its going to be a fun season as there is a lot of parity outside of UConn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My thoughts. UConn is unbeatable. Not a chance of them losing this season and next season most likely they will be undefeated too.
There's always a chance. Slim and very unlikely, but always a chance.

Duke will be playing UNC and ND multiple times. That could hurt them when tournament time comes.
May help them. Helped us playing ND so many times last year, even though I hated playing them that many times.

Duke will be playing UNC and ND multiple times. That could hurt them when tournament time comes. Duke is the second best team in WCBB. Defense and discipline will be key

Maryland. Much like Tenn everything will go through Thomas. She too will need help. MD needs to play 40 minutes of defense.

UNC. Young and talented. Discipline and defense will be a must. Traditionally its been along time since UNC had a flow on offense and any good defense. Its going to take time for UNCs underclassman to develop at the college game. With that said. A schedule that is weak could hurt them. The ACC has a lot of talent and imo Duke and ND are better coached.

ND. A very good passing team. Balance and they manage to get to the line a lot. IMO a top 5 legit team. Good coaching and good team chemistry.
ACC is going to be a fun conference to watch/follow.

Reaction Score
I think there's a good chance we'll go undefeated this season and capture another NC. But to assert that there exists no chance that we'll go anything but unbeaten is absurd. Every team has off nights, every sleeper team has dream nights (remember St. John's?). While no one here pulls for the Huskies more ardently than I, what I hope for most for the upcoming season is that all those ACC teams, Tennessee, Louisville and others all have stellar years and bring a greater level of parity to the top programs. As an attendee of the Final Four games in New Orleans, the only thing I found depressing was the existence of too many empty seats. Yes, I hope we win, but I hope we have to sweat it out to do it...and, one more thing: all this conjecture about emerging teams notwithstanding, especially from the ACC, the one team I still fear most when we get into the post-season is, who else, Notre Dame! Yes, they lost a fierce competitor, but they remain loaded, picked up a great talent in a player we coveted (Reimer), and still have one of the truly great coaches in the game. Placing them tenth in these admittedly meaningless rankings is silly - losing Skylar, or any point guard, is not the same as losing a Griner or any truly dominant post player. They're going to be the usual tough customer with which to contend, just watch!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My thoughts. UConn is unbeatable. Not a chance of them losing this season and next season most likely they will be undefeated too. . . . Its going to be a fun season as there is a lot of parity outside of UConn.

OK, Tony, now tell us how you really feel about the upcoming seasons.:rolleyes:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
UConn should be preseason #1.
Duke is this the year the put it together.
Tennessee has a nice group of returning players and adds Gatorade POY. Having Carter back also helps.
Stanford has Chiney a possible POY winner.
A few comments on top four teams listed.

Reaction Score
Tony, I know you're excited when you forget to throw in a caveat about injuries, etc. You were so diligent about that for a couple of years ... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom