Changing the way the game is played... something for A'ja to think about | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Changing the way the game is played... something for A'ja to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dakotaboy

As I said that was an old comment. Nothing recent.

So, basically, what you are admitting is you don't know if anything you are saying is true but you said it anyway. Given that Geno and staff are pursuing A'ja with persistence you might be better off assuming you are wrong.

Post want you want but don't expect others to simply take your word for it.

I was just reacting to comments that I've read in the past. I don't expect others to take anything from it. It was an opinion based off some of the negative comments I've read on various posts on this player.
FYI, I treat every other poster on this board with respect, even if I don't agree to their posts. And I would expect that people treat me with that same respect. Apparently that's too much for you, given your crappy response to me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So in other words you don't like people reacting to your statements the way you treated A'ja comments. Now I understand.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have been waiting for something along the lines of the exchange between dakotaboy and Icebear. It seems to me that some of us, in our desire to see Aja Wilson come to U Conn, have spent a lot of discussion time on a remark of hers and made it more than it is. I have felt the temptation to say A'ja has an attitude problem, but then I put it in context. Furthermore, the way Geno and Co. recruit tells me that if there were a real issue here, Geno would deal with it and the recruit's and U Conn's interest in each other would wane or outright disappear.

D

dakotaboy

I have been waiting for something along the lines of the exchange between dakotaboy and Icebear. It seems to me that some of us, in our desire to see Aja Wilson come to U Conn, have spent a lot of discussion time on a remark of hers and made it more than it is. I have felt the temptation to say A'ja has an attitude problem, but then I put it in context. Furthermore, the way Geno and Co. recruit tells me that if there were a real issue here, Geno would deal with it and the recruit's and U Conn's interest in each other would wane or outright disappear.

Thank you Rocky for putting it in a way that is not demeaning or offensive towards others. You have a wonderful day :) Hopefully others can learn from you :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thank you Rocky for putting it in a way that is not demeaning or offensive towards others. You have a wonderful day :) Hopefully others can learn from you :)
You could certainly learn from others as well. Nowhere in my original post did I quote anything from A'ja - I simply said it's my understanding she does NOT want to play the 5. You extrapolated that "doesn't sound like a team player. She's got DIVA written all over her. She wouldn't fit into Uconn with that attitude. Sounds like she'd rather go to a school that will cater to her wishes, rather than making her better".

Frankly, I thought Ice's and UCMiami's comments were quite tame. I'm not sure where a casual fan can come to the conclusion that a recruit highly coveted by the staff is not a team player, a DIVA, and that she should go someplace where they cater to what she wants. That comment is about as crazy as if one of the UCONN recruits got into a fender bender and someone got on the board posting that she was a partier, had a drinking problem, and was not a good fit for UCONN.

So as a new poster, people are willing to give you some slack, and I say this as nicely as I can - you should think before you post, especially if you are saying something negative about a recruit. And if what you posted is TRULY what you believe, then be prepared to be offended.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's great that you feel that way... That's your opinion, just as I had My opinion.

I wasn't referring to a "Style of Play", I was referring to using negative comments such as "I don't want to play in the post". That's hardly stating a preferred style of play.

As I stated above, I don't know if this is who this person is, BUT (and there's a BUT) if that is truly how she is, then I'd rather see her go to another school, because not wanting to give yourself freely to the team concept is selfish.

Again, I'm not saying that Aja is any of these things, IN MY OPINION, I feel that is she was any of those things, that Uconn would be better off without her.

If we're not allowed to post opinions on this board, then please tell me and I'll stop...
Personally I take this as a rather snarky response to my post - particularly your first and last line - which I think was a pretty reasonable response to your first post. I discussed what MY interpretation of the same data points you had was, but certainly in no way challenged your right to draw your own conclusions nor to post them. And while I referred to 'style of play' I also specifically referenced your point about 'position' - just expanding the discussion.
I could have taken offense at your posting a statement like 'She's got DIVA written all over her' about someone you admit you know little about and especially about a 16 year old. That seems just a wee bit extreme and prejudicial. Instead my original post just dealt with the concept you presented and not your particular style of addressing it.

D

dakotaboy

You could certainly learn from others as well. Nowhere in my original post did I quote anything from A'ja - I simply said it's my understanding she does NOT want to play the 5. You extrapolated that "doesn't sound like a team player. She's got DIVA written all over her. She wouldn't fit into Uconn with that attitude. Sounds like she'd rather go to a school that will cater to her wishes, rather than making her better".

Frankly, I thought Ice's and UCMiami's comments were quite tame. I'm not sure where a casual fan can come to the conclusion that a recruit highly coveted by the staff is not a team player, a DIVA, and that she should go someplace where they cater to what she wants. That comment is about as crazy as if one of the UCONN recruits got into a fender bender and someone got on the board posting that she was a partier, had a drinking problem, and not a good fit for UCONN.

So as a new poster, people are willing to give you some slack, and I say this as nicely as I can - you should think before you post, especially if you are saying something negative about a recruit. And if what you posted is TRULY what you believe, then be prepared to be offended.

I wasn't quoting your post... I mentioned that I read it from various posts, not only on the boneyard...

And i was only referring to Icebear's last two posts to me. I have been reading the boneyard for alot longer than I've been a member. I don't post often, and now I know why I shouldn't. I stated my opinion, nothing more than that.

I do enjoy reading about the Uconn ladies, and I enjoy the boneyard and appreciate all of the members.

I'm sorry that you all feel it's okay to attack someone that doesn't agree with you.

I hope you all have a wonderful life. Thank you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What attack? I held up to you a mirror of your own statements. I was hoping you would recognize by having your comments packaged as I did just how unfair your conclusions and over statements about A'ja were.

D

dakotaboy

I don't know Aja personally, as I'm sure most of you don't either. I can only form opinions based off of what I read (not just on the boneyard). I didn't say she was a DIVA, I didn't say her attitude stinks, I said If she was a DIVA and if her attitude stunk, that she wouldn't be a good fit for Uconn.

And just because I don't post here alot does NOT make me just a casual fan. I've followed the Uconn Huskies since I first saw them in their first final 4 in 1991. And have watched and cheered for them ever since.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't know Aja personally, as I'm sure most of you don't either. I can only form opinions based off of what I read (not just on the boneyard). I didn't say she was a DIVA, I didn't say her attitude stinks, I said If she was a DIVA and if her attitude stunk, that she wouldn't be a good fit for Uconn.

And just because I don't post here alot does NOT make me just a casual fan. I've followed the Uconn Huskies since I first saw them in their first final 4 in 1991. And have watched and cheered for them ever since.
To quote you exactly: 'She's got DIVA written all over her.' That seems like a pretty definitive statement to me - you may not have meant it in that way but that, plus 'We don't need any poisoned apples.' even prefaced by an 'If she' sentence seems to be aggressively negative about a recruit that Geno seems pretty high on and to be based on some second hand reports of a not all that unusual statement of preferred playing position. I am sure if Kelly had been asked if she wanted to be recruited as a post player she would have said No! and Maya would have had the same response. We have had potential recruits reportedly ask for guarantees in regard to playing time and they have been dropped right quickly for good reason - to me this seems like quite a reasonable request, and could have been brought on by some coach in a recruiting pitch saying 'We see you starting as our #5 from day one.'

Reaction Score
I agree but she's hearing a completely different message from her AAU coach:

"I have know A'ja since she was 12 years old and A'ja, I played her at the 1 (point guard), 2 (shooting guard) and 3 (small forward). I thought the USA team hurt her game because they only had her play by the basket and when I had her during the summer, I had her playing the 2. I missed having her the whole July because she was with a USA team and they had her playing the 4 and 5, I had her playing the 1, 2 and 3. It helped because she got the experience but it hurt because the other girls shot the 3's and took players to the basket, that part of the game she didn't even display and that is the best part of her game. "

I'd be careful about messages from AAU coaches..they are of course unbiased and not looking for any glory..it's obvious to him the USA coaches didn't know what they were doing..

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

dakotaboy..You have expressed your opinion...and some have responded to it. That's what happens on a message board. What did you think would transpire...that those of us who have high praise and hopes for her would remain silent?

IAC, I have no doubt she is a first rate basketball recruit, I have no doubt that she will change from High School wherever she matriculates, and I have doubt that most of us, especially me, have no clue about the character and person of this young woman. I assume the best in everything for her.

For particulars, I rely on Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits