Changes to 2014 Roster | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Changes to 2014 Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why should a student at a university be treated differently than a member of the public? Larceny is a crime. A minor one in the eyes of the law, but still a crime.

Who made that argument?

$19? At what point does the school stop pressing charges for this type of nonsense? On anyone, not just athletes. There has to be a better way to handle this...

And can we stop pretending like all crimes get prosecuted? Am I the only one who has gotten off with a warning instead of a ticket?

Am I the only one who has been in a bar fight where the cops said you can both press charges, or you can both just walk in opposite directions?

Yes it's a crime, but that doesn't mean sending him through the courts is the "best" course of action. Especially considering the availability of AR which means, short of the $100 for bond, Hemingway will very likely get probation for up to 2 years and the charges will be dismissed. What's the punishment?

Nothing but the $100. You can punish, and punish more responsibly, without prosecuting. Require him to do 20 hours of community service and pay a $100 fine and ban him from the co-op for a year. I'd say that's a far greater punishment than 2 years of probation that ends with a clean record.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In recruiting-We can't get the better criminals...they traditionally have gone to the U.....

We need better CRIMINALS... Darn, I guess we need to hire a recruiter from Miami to get better CRIMINALS.

Reaction Score
What is? The theft? Then make the fine bigger. Suspend him from football for a month or longer. I didn't say the kid shouldn't be punished, but if you're going to argue that theft of $19 worth of merchandise is worth getting the police and courts involved then telling us why would help. There is a university disciplinary board.

Nobody is going to jail over $19. Why do the police and courts have to be involved? Because of the moral outrage over "petty theft"?

And if you're going to argue that theft is theft and the dollar amount doesn't matter, the courts don't agree with you. That's why there is petty larceny and grand larceny.

The difference between some random person stealing from a store, and a student stealing from the university he/she attends is what's important here. A store has no right to punish someone for stealing. The school does. The school can easily hand out punishment for this behavior without involving the courts. Make it part of the honor code.

Sorry, Theft is theft. As a business owner, I don't care if said person stole a $1.25 bag of M&Ms or a $35K Mustang. If you reward anybody with a theft (by a months suspension), what will be next?? Rape... ?? Murder??

U of F let their players run wild (ie Aaron H.), should we?? Hell no...Do you want to hear: 'Today, NFL player Joe Smith was arrested for Murder. Joe Smith, a RB for the Pats, was a star at UCONN". I don't!! Do you??

Reaction Score
Sorry, Theft is theft. As a business owner, I don't care if said person stole a $1.25 bag of M&Ms or a $35K Mustang. If you reward anybody with a theft (by a months suspension), what will be next?? Rape... ?? Murder??

U of F let their players run wild (ie Aaron H.), should we?? Hell no...Do you want to hear: 'Today, NFL player Joe Smith was arrested for Murder. Joe Smith, a RB for the Pats, was a star at UCONN". I don't!! Do you??

In addition to ignoring the post where I laid out a punishment more severe than what he will get in court, you've just treated petty theft as a gateway drug to rape and murder.

If that's not crazy, even for this place, I don't know what is.

Reaction Score
In addition to ignoring the post where I laid out a punishment more severe than what he will get in court, you've just treated petty theft as a gateway drug to rape and murder.

If that's not crazy, even for this place, I don't know what is.

Wing U-Conn:

You wrote 'A store has no right to punish someone for stealing. The school does. The school can easily hand out punishment for this behavior without involving the court'. I think that is a wrong attitude. A store HAS the RIGHT to get the courts involved. If John Doe walked into Wal-Mart and 'removed' a 90 inch HD TV set, you don't think Wal-Mart should charge John Doe??

Anybody who is on any team (from elementary school to the pros) should set a standard. Unfortunately, some people are given passes because they are special. Petty Theft is theft... if my kids ever stole ANYTHING from a store... I'll take them to the police. My kids know I would.

Reaction Score

Yes, petty larceny is a gateway crime that leads to rape and muder.

Reaction Score
Wing U-Conn:

You wrote 'A store has no right to punish someone for stealing. The school does. The school can easily hand out punishment for this behavior without involving the court'. I think that is a wrong attitude. A store HAS the RIGHT to get the courts involved. If John Doe walked into Wal-Mart and 'removed' a 90 inch HD TV set, you don't think Wal-Mart should charge John Doe??

Anybody who is on any team (from elementary school to the pros) should set a standard. Unfortunately, some people are given passes because they are special. Petty Theft is theft... if my kids ever stole ANYTHING from a store... I'll take them to the police. My kids know I would.

You should read the rest of my posts. I never said a store didn't have the right to call the cops. Not once. A store can't punish a thief. They either let it go, or call the cops. A university has more leeway. The student is part of the community, the student attends that school as a privilege. Not a right. The school can punish that student and restrict his/her privileges and do so more effectively than the courts choose to. Walmart has no such power, nor should they.

A 90 inch TV isn't petty theft. It's worth a few thousand dollars.

If your kids stole $20 worth of merchandise, you can take them to the cops. The courts will give them accelerated rehabilitation which is nothing more than probation and then the charges are dismissed and it never shows up on their record.

Basically, they would be given a pass.

You're really, really, missing my point. It almost seems intentional. I've said more than enough on this topic, read the rest of my posts.

I'm talking about petty theft, you're talking about grand larceny, rape, and murder.

Reaction Score
U should be thanking HCBD for sending the msg early on...thievery, academic incompetence, and any other activity that sheds a bad light on UConn or the team will be dealt with harshly and coomensurate with the offense. I did like this about FHCRE's approach to the team. They knew where they stood.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
U should be thanking HCBD for sending the msg early on...thievery, academic incompetence, and any other activity that sheds a bad light on UConn or the team will be dealt with harshly and coomensurate with the offense. I did like this about FHCRE's approach to the team. They knew where they stood.

Hemingway did not enroll for the Spring semester. The theft appears to have occurred after the failure to enroll. The failure to enroll is reported to be related to academics, not the theft. Therefore, the University does not have the authority to dole out or withhold punishment either (BTW, only the courts do) and would not be expected to treat this case like it would if an active student was involved, let alone a high profile athlete. The young man is over the age of 18 and has no shot at being treated like a juvenile. He should be processed through the courts like any other petty crime.

Reaction Score
He should apologize and give back the $20 and everyone should move on with their lives.

Good grief, whatever happened to common sense in this country.

Reaction Score
You should read the rest of my posts. I never said a store didn't have the right to call the cops. Not once. A store can't punish a thief. They either let it go, or call the cops. A university has more leeway. The student is part of the community, the student attends that school as a privilege. Not a right. The school can punish that student and restrict his/her privileges and do so more effectively than the courts choose to. Walmart has no such power, nor should they.

A 90 inch TV isn't petty theft. It's worth a few thousand dollars.

If your kids stole $20 worth of merchandise, you can take them to the cops. The courts will give them accelerated rehabilitation which is nothing more than probation and then the charges are dismissed and it never shows up on their record.

Basically, they would be given a pass.

You're really, really, missing my point. It almost seems intentional. I've said more than enough on this topic, read the rest of my posts.

I'm talking about petty theft, you're talking about grand larceny, rape, and murder.

A crime is a crime... I never said stealing will lead to rape, Murder or Felony. What I am saying is that if you have Thugs on the team (ie Miami a few years ago) the school will be in a different light than a school for 100% graduation rates (such as UConn WBB). Do you ever hear of one of Geno's players stealing?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom