OT: - Changes at ESPN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Changes at ESPN

Reaction Score
ESPN isn't even about sports anymore. I used to watch SportsCenter every day before school, every day when I got home from school, and I fell asleep to it. Nowadays I can't even watch a single show without getting irritated. Every program is now centered around politics or social issues. When I turn on ESPN, I want to see SPORTS. Enough of our lives are politicized as it is. It's sad to see what ESPN has evolved into.
I remember the good old days when sports was an escape from from all the everyday dung we deal with. I can't even tell you the last time I watched BSPN outside of boxing. Even before the shutdown I pretty much stopped watching.

Reaction Score
They need to hire somebody like Clay Travis or Jason Whitlock. Guys who stick to sports and just call balls and strikes.

Stick to sports? Whitlock?? Idk who you've been listening to but Jason Whitlock is the exact opposite of "sticking to sports".

Or is it that he's a conservative and not a "wacky lib" that his political takes don't bother you so much? Hmmm

Reaction Score
Stick to sports? Whitlock?? Idk who you've been listening to but Jason Whitlock is the exact opposite of "sticking to sports".

Or is it that he's a conservative and not a "wacky lib" that his political takes don't bother you so much? Hmmm
47618A87-7EA3-477D-8373-5C6CA2ADA655.gif

Reaction Score
I fall into the camp of people who haven't really missed live sports all that much. But for people talking about how they just want to watch sports and not be lectured about politics wouldn't you have to be watching the studio shows to hear that stuff? I mean, if I want to watch a game and I turn on ESPN, I can't recall a time I've heard Boog Sciambi go on a rant about Medicare for All.

Reaction Score
The only thing I try to listen to on ESPN is Rothenberg, DiPietro, and Canty. At worst, they are entertaining. At best, they talk about the topics I want to listen to.
Rothenberg is underrated in my opinion, I’ve always enjoyed him on the air

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Kind of surprised, but then again, not really. I don't understand the love for Mike Greenberg, but they do have a long term contract with him.

ESPN said it would cancel its flagship morning radio program, “Golic & WIngo,” while bringing Mike Greenberg, half of the team that helped the Disney sports-media giant carve a bigger business in the audio world, back to the medium as part of a reworking of its national lineup.

Greenberg, who spent 17 years with co-host Mike Golic on the morning radio program “Mike & Mike,” will keep his duties on the ESPN mid-morning TV program, “Get Up,” which he has helped anchor since the Spring of 2018. But he will also lead a new two-hour radio show that airs between noon and 2 p.m. weekdays. His former partner, Mike Golic will leave mornings along with Trey Wingo. The pair has hosted their program since November of 2017.
Never was a big Mike & Mike fan but Greenberg by himself isn't bad. He's pretty knowledgeable, straight laced and keeps the ball rolling in a conversation. Definitely needs personalities surrounding him though.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I don't know much about radio but thought it was telling that after years of doing a daily show, Golic (as far as I know) could never be left alone in the booth.
Golic Sr. is not good. Sounds like he just wakes up, and begins talking, no prep, no insight and strictly football. Anything else and it you might as well chalk it up as breaktime for this guy. Loved him as an Phila Eagle though.

Reaction Score
Glad to see greenberg leavethe mike and Mike show but wingo is worse the whole show is just juvenile now

Reaction Score
I used to enjoy PTI but it got old about 10 years ago, which coincidentally seems to be the last time Wilbon and Kornheiser watched sports

Reaction Score
I used to enjoy PTI but it got old about 10 years ago
agreed. wilbon became insufferable when i was in college and i found myself disagreeing with Kornheiser more and more, in part because he knows nothing about basketball. one day i deleted my DVR recording and havent watched since.

Reaction Score
The ONLY thing good about ESPN is:

Beer, online cards and Rockford Files for me. Night.

Reaction Score
I stream TSN1050 overdrive, the Toronto afternoon drive 4-7, with Jeff O’Neill ( former Whaler), Brian Hayes and Jamie McClellan. Also Ray Ferraro ( another former Whaler)is on for a segment everyday during hockey season. The do a good job covering all the major sports (including the NFL). That’s probably the only radio I listen to other than SirusXM MLB Radio, and NHL Radio.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Golic Sr. is not good. Sounds like he just wakes up, and begins talking, no prep, no insight and strictly football. Anything else and it you might as well chalk it up as breaktime for this guy. Loved him as an Phila Eagle though.
I searched twitter to see reactions to this, and was horrified to learn that the Golic family has their own podcast. Sr. has monetized every day he spent at ESPN, he's good at that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I searched twitter to see reactions to this, and was horrified to learn that the Golic family has their own podcast. Sr. has monetized every day he spent at ESPN, he's good at that.
Can anyone come up with a single witty or profound comment this guy ever had? He exemplifies "a long tradition of existence."

Reaction Score
Can anyone come up with a single witty or profound comment this guy ever had? He exemplifies "a long tradition of existence."
Not one. I am not sure why, but I find how media types gush over anyone who just got canned insufferable. Truth is, Golic is a likeable guy and probably someone I would enjoy sharing a beer with, but he won't be missed on air.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Not one. I am not sure why, but I find how media types gush over anyone who just got canned insufferable. Truth is, Golic is a likeable guy and probably someone I would enjoy sharing a beer with, but he won't be missed on air.
As opposed to Greenberg who I would likely provide the Fishy treatment - namely a punch in the throat.

Reaction Score
Le Batard and his crew seem to be investing more time and energy into their podcast network so I understand why they cut back on an hour, I don't understand giving that hour to Greenberg tho.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Was done when they hired A-Rod for Sunday Night Baseball. It's too bad because he does have a ton of baseball knowledge but he's just such an insufferable toolbag. This coming from a diehard Yankee fan...

Reaction Score
Greenie is actually a good dude, met him at an AAU tournament we ran like 6-7 years ago.. Regular dude, obviously lived a charmed life, but pleasant

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Was done when they hired A-Rod for Sunday Night Baseball. It's too bad because he does have a ton of baseball knowledge but he's just such an insufferable toolbag. This coming from a diehard Yankee fan...

there should probably be like a business school case study on arod’s redemption tour.

I also really like his work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom