OT: - Changes at ESPN | The Boneyard

OT: Changes at ESPN

Reaction Score
Kind of surprised, but then again, not really. I don't understand the love for Mike Greenberg, but they do have a long term contract with him.

ESPN said it would cancel its flagship morning radio program, “Golic & WIngo,” while bringing Mike Greenberg, half of the team that helped the Disney sports-media giant carve a bigger business in the audio world, back to the medium as part of a reworking of its national lineup.

Greenberg, who spent 17 years with co-host Mike Golic on the morning radio program “Mike & Mike,” will keep his duties on the ESPN mid-morning TV program, “Get Up,” which he has helped anchor since the Spring of 2018. But he will also lead a new two-hour radio show that airs between noon and 2 p.m. weekdays. His former partner, Mike Golic will leave mornings along with Trey Wingo. The pair has hosted their program since November of 2017.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree but his sons is more inexplicable. He was dreadful to listen to.

Nepotism rarely works out well for the second generation.
And yes Junior was brutal.
Absolutely no chemistry between big Mike and Wingo.
OTOH I haven't watched or listened to a single second Greene's Get Up.

Reaction Score
You haven’t missed anything. Greenberg’s show is just as bad as you might imagine.

sounds like Keyshawn Johnson and jay Williams will take over the wake up show. It’s hard to get worse than golic and wingo but damn if ESPN is gonna try.

Reaction Score
People still listen to radio?

Radio is usually much better than TV. On TV the hosts only care about how they look. They think in segments. They rarely listen to their own guests and hardly ever ask interesting follow up questions even when the guest makes it obvious they should. On radio, you hear actual conversations and even on occassinal insight. Much, much better than TV.

Reaction Score
Van Pelt seems to be royalty there.

Mike and Mike was an ok show. They should have stayed together. Greenberg is likely to have a 2-3 year run and have to move on again. Golic is probably going to have to retire or work locally.

Reaction Score
Radio is usually much better than TV. On TV the hosts only care about how they look. They think in segments. They rarely listen to their own guests and hardly ever ask interesting follow up questions even when the guest makes it obvious they should. On radio, you hear actual conversations and even on occassinal insight. Much, much better than TV.

True. Howard Stern has become a great interviewer as he ages. Nothing on tv compares.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Was moreso referring to podcasts but I definitely understand what you mean. I listen to a lot of media and definitely appreciate certain aspects of it. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched sportscenter and I was a DAILY watcher my entire childhood. I remember watching it twice certain because they used to just have the same segments on repeat.

Reaction Score
ESPN isn't even about sports anymore. I used to watch SportsCenter every day before school, every day when I got home from school, and I fell asleep to it. Nowadays I can't even watch a single show without getting irritated. Every program is now centered around politics or social issues. When I turn on ESPN, I want to see SPORTS. Enough of our lives are politicized as it is. It's sad to see what ESPN has evolved into.

Reaction Score
I like the Golics, but once Mike & Mike split, it was only a matter of time.

Jr. probably ends up in Miami. Sr. has a nice retirement home in Arizona from what I have been told.

Reaction Score
They're no different than any of the other "journalists" working in TV today.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My opinions

Keyshawn Johnson. Smart Alec it all about him.
Jay Williams Way too serious. Never smiles
Mike Golic Jr. Very sharp. Best insights but delivery, voice (and recently his thighs) drive me nuts
Golic Sr. Steady middle of the road guy. Best common sense. Respect that he is a worker and grinder, Sorry to see him go.
Wingo: Bleech. Now he can live life playing golf (hopefully with Greenie to follow)

Reaction Score
The only thing I try to listen to on ESPN is Rothenberg, DiPietro, and Canty. At worst, they are entertaining. At best, they talk about the topics I want to listen to.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
ESPN isn't even about sports anymore. I used to watch SportsCenter every day before school, every day when I got home from school, and I fell asleep to it. Nowadays I can't even watch a single show without getting irritated. Every program is now centered around politics or social issues. When I turn on ESPN, I want to see SPORTS. Enough of our lives are politicized as it is. It's sad to see what ESPN has evolved into.
My SportsCenter viewing has been nonexistent since about 2010. And once MLB Network debuted I stopped watching Baseball Tonight. And with NFL Network there is no need to watch ESPN's NFL stuff. I get my DanO material from the Twitter.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Does anyone even listen to sports radio during working hours? Seems like biggest audiences are morning and afternoon commutes.
I catch some sports radio while driving in to work, maybe a bit if running errands or going out during lunch and then catch some on the ride home. And unless I'm on a road trip there isn't any chance I'm listening to sports radio at night.
Even if they record them for listening later or put them on a podcast, I'd never hear a second of the new Greenie show, Mike Jr show, Fitz, Spain, etc. Part of the pain when you have to have so much content to cover so many mediums.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom