Chances our boosters fund an Ollie buy-out? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chances our boosters fund an Ollie buy-out?

Reaction Score
I can’t stand it anymore so I’ll try to say it nicely, some of you guys are wankers. UConn sits in the northeast megalopolis with access out its back door to massive numbers of top players, including the best prep school league in the country. We have one of the top practice facilities in the country, a big brand name, Nike sponsorship, 4 national titles and 5 Final Fours in the last 18 years and WE PAY A TOP 10 SALARY.

WTF are some of you even talking about?

Larry Brown coached SMU, Calipari coached Memphis in CUSA, Mark Few stays at Gonzaga, Gregg Marshall stays at WSU...basketball isn’t football, basketball coaches don’t need the P5. Frankly, UConn is a great setup for a Donovan caliber coach. Lessened fan expectations after Ollie, an easy conference to finish top 3 in year in and year out and the pay of a Top 10 P5 school. It’s actually a great job from a coach’s perspective, if they look at it for what it really is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can’t stand it anymore so I’ll try to say it nicely, some of you guys are wankers. UConn sits in the northeast megalopolis with access out its back door to massive numbers of top players, including the best prep school league in the country. We have one of the top practice facilities in the country, a big brand name, Nike sponsorship, 4 national titles and 5 Final Fours in the last 18 years and WE PAY A TOP 10 SALARY.

WTF are some of you even taking about?

Larry Brown coached SMU, Calipari coached Memphis in CUSA, Mark Few stays at Gonzaga, Gregg Marshall stays at WSU...basketball isn’t football, basketball coaches don’t need the P5. Frankly, UConn is a great setup for a Donovan caliber coach. Lessened fan expectations after Ollie, an easy conference to finish top 3 in year in and year out and the pay of a Top 10 P5 school. It’s actually a great job from a coach’s perspective if they look at it for what it really is.

I liked this only because the boneyard doesn't have a love button

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

Larry Brown coached SMU, Calipari coached Memphis in CUSA, Mark Few stays at Gonzaga, Gregg Marshall stays at WSU...basketball isn’t football, basketball coaches don’t need the P5. Frankly, UConn is a great setup for a Donovan caliber coach. Lessened fan expectations after Ollie, an easy conference to finish top 3 in year in and year out and the pay of a Top 10 P5 school. It’s actually a great job from a coach’s perspective if they look at it for what it really is.
Will pay stay top notch if attendance continues to go in the tank? That's gotta impact merchandise sales and advertising revenue too.

Reaction Score

But why coach at UConn when you can coach at Washington State or Ole Miss? They're P5, after all!

Reaction Score
Will pay stay top notch if attendance continues to go in the tank? That's gotta impact merchandise sales and advertising revenue too.

Now you are getting into a business decision. Attendance is in the tank, merchandise sales are probably down and you need to make a choice. Do you want to win and bring the fans and sales back or do you want to accept poor/mediocre teams and reduced revenue? If you want the former rather than the latter, you pay a good coach.

Reaction Score
A new coach (especially one of the caliber we expect) will re-invigorate attendance at least for a bit, especially if they win or show something better than what KO has been putting out there. KO and his teams are the reason people aren’t showing.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
A new coach (especially one of the caliber we expect) will re-invigorate attendance at least for a bit, especially if they win or show something better than what KO has been putting out there. KO and his teams are the reason people aren’t showing.
I should've been clearer in what I was saying based on your response and Hoophound's response. I support a change sooner than later. If things continue to go downhill, we won't have the resources to pay a top coach and at that point, there won't be any fans left to care.

Reaction Score
Last time this happened to a major UConn men's team (last year tot he day) AD Dave was able to make the buyout work by bringing back the programs architect and most successful coach at a home town discount - can the same thing be in cards this time? The best possible person to right the ship at this point would have to be Jim Calhoun even if it's just for a year or two.

Also Calhoun understood the value of role players, guys whose specialty was shooting, rebounding, defense, etc. Not just a bunch of guys vying with each other to be the man or to jack the next shot. We hardly see the ball movement and cohesion of the last NC team that started effective role players who made the team better - Phil Nolan, Olander, and Giffey (partial stud, partial role player).

Reaction Score
Last time this happened to a major UConn men's team (last year tot he day) AD Dave was able to make the buyout work by bringing back the programs architect and most successful coach at a home town discount - can the same thing be in cards this time? The best possible person to right the ship at this point would have to be Jim Calhoun even if it's just for a year or two.

Also Calhoun understood the value of role players, guys whose specialty was shooting, rebounding, defense, etc. Not just a bunch of guys vying with each other to be the man or to jack the next shot. We hardly see the ball movement and cohesion of the last NC team that started effective role players who made the team better - Phil Nolan, Olander, and Giffey (partial stud, partial role player).
Calhoun isn't the answer. Good luck recruiting for the future with him at the helm for 1-2 years

Reaction Score
Calhoun isn't the answer. Good luck recruiting for the future with him at the helm for 1-2 years

He's put how many guys in the NBA - what do you think these top players are looking for when they are making a decision?

Reaction Score

WTF are some of you even talking about?

All good/obvious points, not to mention great TV exposure nationally.

Reaction Score
He's put how many guys in the NBA - what do you think these top players are looking for when they are making a decision?

I appreciate the sentiment but it wouldn't work, sorry.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I appreciate the sentiment but it wouldn't work, sorry.
Jesus his heatlth was used against us in recruiting 6-8 years ago when he wasn’t able to complete seasons back then. Not sure what you expect now

@Chief00 are you going to let this slide?

Or are you going to continue posting junk about how I don't "respect" the coach I have called the greatest of all time on more occasions than I can count?

Reaction Score
Why would Hurley and/or Pikiell be interested? Pikiell is already in a P5 conference & he is making Rutgers better & Hurley's next stop will be in a P5 conference. We can say what we want about Rutgers but they are headed in a different direction than us as it sits right now.
Why would they be interested ? I'd guess there are at least half-a-million rea$on$ why Uconn would be an improvement.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Our next coach is coaching on ESPN right now. He stresses defensive intensity. That's what we need.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Our next coach is coaching on ESPN right now. He stresses defensive intensity. That's what we need.
Sorry, ESPNU. Anyone who says we aren't a big step up from URI, hasn't seen their athletic facilities.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry, ESPNU. Anyone who says we aren't a big step up from URI, hasn't seen their athletic facilities.

Has anyone said that?

The challenge is that you aren’t just competing with Rhode Island. You are competing with Rhode Island, other schools with openings and other jobs he wants that may open up over some period of time.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Has anyone said that?

The challenge is that you aren’t just competing with Rhode Island. You are competing with Rhode Island, other schools with openings and other jobs he wants that may open up over some period of time.
Well no, but some might underestimate how readily he'd jump if approached before other schools do. If we wait, no chance. URI is a dumpster of a school.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The Ryan Center is a better facility than the XL Center or Gampel, but he'd come here and is my #1 target.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom