Chances our boosters fund an Ollie buy-out? | The Boneyard

Chances our boosters fund an Ollie buy-out?

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I don't have inside intel - it's a staggering amount I'm aware. BUT, I'd say the damage he is doing costs more over the long term. It's getting to the point where our brand is getting dragged through the mud. It's incredibly humiliating.

We invested in Football, it's getting to the point where we may need to invest in basketball. Yes, it's an investment buying out this shell of a former coach.

Reaction Score
I don't have inside intel - it's a staggering amount I'm aware. BUT, I'd say the damage he is doing costs more over the long term. It's getting to the point where our brand is getting dragged through the mud. It's incredibly humiliating.

We invested in Football, it's getting to the point where we may need to invest in basketball. Yes, it's an investment buying out this shell of a former coach.

If the school really wanted him gone, they could make it happen

Reaction Score

We have schedule a press conference in 20 minutes. COULD IT be...

Reaction Score
Would KO’s buyout be offset by other earnings? Can’t recall if that’s mentioned in the contract.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Mike Melio is a moron

Goes to show how powerless we all are. All of this rests on the donors/BoT, and if they don't see things the way we do, well...

Reaction Score
Goes to show how powerless we all are. All of this rests on the donors/BoT, and if they don't see things the way we do, well...
That's when a media leak comes in handy...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That's when a media leak comes in handy...

Those ESPN exposés are gonna be great PR...really gonna make us look attractive to Hurley/Pikiell

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Mike Melio is a moron
Mike Melio has done nothing but behave like 95% of the BY has for the last two years, outside of the last month of so.

Reaction Score

Highly agree. Sorry to see no 'likes' here. Seemingly, younger fans cannot truly understand the depth of humiliation we 'historic' fans are feeling. Our national brand, built by this very same program, is left to glow with the only single spotlight of the women's program.

Yes, it is an investment for the very largest donors. They get an awful lot for their millions that we we minor donors do not and they deserve much of that and I thank them. They should also recognize their responsibility to keep supporting the program in down times be it improving facilities or coaches. I have only faith that our AD is already working on this.

Reaction Score
The buyout is not as a big of a problem as I have stated before. Ollie will accept much less than 10 million buyout as he doesn't want his name to be tarnished and ruined worse than it already has on a national scale. Whatever the cost, the cost of the buyout is much lower than the cost of keeping Ollie around.

PS: Never hire anyone for a head coaching position at UCONN who is a Pollyanna. Ollie is typical of Pollyannnas, insecure, puts on a phony front, and devoid of seeing reality. Anyone that uses cliches and stupid platitudes repeatedly is not someone that deserves to lead any UCONN sport.

PS: The one trait that all successful coaches have is they are sincere, honest, and critical in their evaluation of events, people, and situations. People respect that because they know that its real and will help you in the long run. That's what made Calhoun and Geno successful. Our next head coach must have these qualities.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If Mike Melio's status is any indication, AD Dave has a lot of work to do.

Exactly this. One of our most significant and loudest boosters literally loves KO and (though I like Melio) is a little crazy and I don't imagine will ever get off the KO train regardless of results

Reaction Score
Why would Hurley and/or Pikiell be interested? Pikiell is already in a P5 conference & he is making Rutgers better & Hurley's next stop will be in a P5 conference. We can say what we want about Rutgers but they are headed in a different direction than us as it sits right now.

Reaction Score
Why would Hurley and/or Pikiell be interested? Pikiell is already in a P5 conference & he is making Rutgers better & Hurley's next stop will be in a P5 conference. We can say what we want about Rutgers but they are headed in a different direction than us as it sits right now.
I don't like what you are saying, but you are likely correct!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Usually I’m anti-scammers but in this case Melio can people all he wants to fund this sucker.

Reaction Score

Not every P5 job is inherently better than the UConn job simply because it's in a P5 conference.

This isn't football.

Reaction Score
Not every P5 job is inherently better than the UConn job simply because it's in a P5 conference.

This isn't football.

Right now they are as long as we are in the AAC even with the addition of Wichita State & that the basketball programs in the AAC are improving. Is ours improving? As long as football remains the driving force it's an issue that will have to be faced. Right now, members of P5 conferences votes on NCAA stuff is valued at 2 votes, members from non P5 conferences are valued a 1 vote each. Right now, basketball-wise, The Big East is better postured than the AAC. If the P5 stuff was not a factor, we would not be having many of the debates that are on-going. I'd suggest that one reason our basketball program has taken a down-turn is because our recruiting strategy has not adjusted to the new NCAA world; granted that might rest with the current coach. We might be better off figuring out what Cincinnati, Gonzaga & Wichita State does rather than going after the same kids that Duke, UNC & the like go after. We won't know the interest level in some of the BYarders desired coaches until that time when we are looking for a coach. When that happens, we'll know a lot.

Reaction Score
Right now they are as long as we are in the AAC even with the addition of Wichita State & that the basketball programs in the AAC are improving. Is ours improving? As long as football remains the driving force it's an issue that will have to be faced. Right now, members of P5 conferences votes on NCAA stuff is valued at 2 votes, members from non P5 conferences are valued a 1 vote each. Right now, basketball-wise, The Big East is better postured than the AAC. If the P5 stuff was not a factor, we would not be having many of the debates that are on-going. I'd suggest that one reason our basketball program has taken a down-turn is because our recruiting strategy has not adjusted to the new NCAA world; granted that might rest with the current coach. We might be better off figuring out what Cincinnati, Gonzaga & Wichita State does rather than going after the same kids that Duke, UNC & the like go after. We won't know the interest level in some of the BYarders desired coaches until that time when we are looking for a coach. When that happens, we'll know a lot.

I get all that, and I certainly understand that schools in P5 conferences have it easier than us in a plethora of different ways.

However, Rutgers is simply not a better job than UConn (yet).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom