Championship Game

Who wins?

• Mississippi State

Votes: 38 61.3%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 24 38.7%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The hero of the game Arike shot 6-21 and Mabrey had 9 turnovers. Usually not stats you associate with the winning team, but they still won mostly because of that egregious no-call.
Come on. Miss St had opportunities to put ND away, just like UConn did Friday night, and just like UConn, they failed to do so when they had their boot on their throat. ND is a team you don't mess around with. When you get them down 10, you better make sure you get them down 20 just as quickly. They are one of those teams that with even the faintest of pulses, they are coming back to life.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Come on. Miss St had opportunities to put ND away, just like UConn did Friday night, and just like UConn, they failed to do so when they had their boot on their throat. ND is a team you don't mess around with. When you get them down 10, you better make sure you get them down 20 just as quickly. They are one of those teams that with even the faintest of pulses, they are coming back to life.

Agreed. Missed FTs and the missed layup by McCowan cost them. More than that, they really struggled getting any offense going in the 2nd half and stopped looking for their best player, Vivians. ND defended well, but Victoria is their best one on one player too and she’s a far better option to create for herself than Holmes of Schaefer. And when McCowan was missing some bunnies, they should’ve looked to generate offense in other ways. William was on the bench and she’s very good about getting her own shots in the lane and finishing them.

Reaction Score
Saltiest comment I have read. ND won the whole thing, they are number 1 lol
You are correct. I should have made it obvious I was totally jesting

Reaction Score
Thanks. I'm just trying not to be too extra so they still allow me to post here!

But it's probably going to be a while before anyone can hurt my feelings on this one.
Don let any of it hurt your feelings. Your team earned it in spades!!

Does anyone remember this no call from 2017 UCONN-MSU? I said good no call decision by the refs then, and likewise on that last play between William and the ND player! Let the players earn it.....see Arike's 2x!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed that the ESPN BottomLine continues to show the statistic that WBB's NC ND has fewer losses (3) than season ending ACL injuries (4)????

And as a reminder, UConn had as many losses in the last four years as ND had this year...:D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meh. We're going to have to agree to disagree. Not even close to a huge hip check. They make contact but only AFTER William no longer has possession. Like I said before, pains me to say it, but good no call.
A player shoots a jump shot. The ball is blocked but the momentum of the defender takes out the shooter. So, according to you, there is no foul because the ball was blocked before the contact? I think you are wrong.

Reaction Score
I still think that if she had played more minutes in the 4th quarter Morgan(scored 41 against Baylor and hit the shot to beat UConn last season) would have knocked down some big shots and also would have penetrated that zone defense. To have Jaz out there attempting to run the team late in the 4th quarter while Morgan just sat on the bench was absolutely disgusting...I threw up twice. That southern TV preacher we have coaching our team chocked BIG TIME!!!

Reaction Score
I still think that if she had played more minutes in the 4th quarter Morgan(scored 41 against Baylor and hit the shot to beat UConn last season) would have knocked down some big shots and also would have penetrated that zone defense. To have Jaz out there attempting to run the team late in the 4th quarter while Morgan just sat on the bench was absolutely disgusting...I threw up twice. That southern TV preacher we have coaching our team chocked BIG TIME!!!
Wow settle down before you stroke out. It’s just a game. That “southern TV preacher” has put your program on the map and has it moving in the right direction. It took Geno a decade before he won his first title. I get being so close two years in a row, but try to maintain some perspective here.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Won't be popular, but after watching the controversial play on repeat I don't have a problem with the non foul call. Mabrey batted the ball away cleanly and then William's momentum took her down after she flung her arm trying to pass the missing basketball.

Now that might be called as a foul more often than not, but I don't particularly think it is one.

Reaction Score
Won't be popular, but after watching the controversial play on repeat I don't have a problem with the non foul call. Mabrey batted the ball away cleanly and then William's momentum took her down after she flung her arm trying to pass the missing basketball.

Now that might be called as a foul more often than not, but I don't particularly think it is one.

You describe it perfectly. Mabrey deflects it clean. It was either momentum or trying to get a call that made William fall .

Reaction Score

Exactly what saw. Even at full speed I did not think it was a foul at the time. It was bang bang, but definitely not the "obvious" foul that folks are claiming.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Press conference is up on YouTube. You can tell Schaefer is just such a good, knowledgeable coach and seems like an amazing person. Very composed, gave intelligent answers and was gracious in defeat.

Reaction Score

This is a bad camera angle, but if you look 3-4 frames before Mabrey deflects the ball, you will notice body contact between the two. William takes a spill after the deflection, as you say. At least that is what I see from this camera angle. I will admit (do you?) it is a poor angle to determine if any contact happens between them prior to the deflection. Another camera angle may prove me wrong, but my opinion is that there is body contact before the deflected pass. Now, you may argue that is OK, a good physical defensive play, but I don't. The last person with control of the ball is William. Mabrey does not have position to impede William's path or cause contact without committing a foul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You describe it perfectly. Mabrey deflects it clean. It was either momentum or trying to get a call that made William fall .
The foul is committed before William fell and before the deflection, IMO. It is a poor camera angle to determine that, however, so I could be wrong.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am probably going to called wrong but I believe that generally in most WBB games, if a player is dribbling the ball up the middle of the court and an opposing player runs in front of them and the dribbler ends up on the court, a whistle will be blown. Heck, the majority of the time whenever a player lands on the floor and an opposing player is within a couple of feet of them, a whistle will be blown. However, I know there are exceptions, but...

Reaction Score
The foul is committed before William fell and before the deflection, IMO. It is a poor camera angle to determine that, however, so I could be wrong.
I've researched the game on youtube. I went back to that play specifically and watched it in real time over and over. If there's any contact, it's not enough to displace William.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom