Votes: 38 61.3%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 24 38.7%

• Total voters

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Why are you so angry? Seems a little disproportionate

2 straight games that were a parade of phantom calls to keep Nd from getting blown out that they eventually steal?

It’s a lot of wasted time.

If these guys are the best of the best, I’m voting for robot officials.

I know there are guys on my board who run circles around the people I just saw today and Friday night.

Reaction Score
Big shout-out to the refs for letting Mabrey tackle Morgan William! I'm not even gonna front like I didn't think that was a foul.

In real time, I honestly thought she was intentionally fouling so as to make William shoot FTs rather than get an easy layup. But swallowing the whistle and letting ND get the steal works, too!

I appreciate your honesty.................Mabry is a really smart player...............that's exactly what she was trying do...................regardless, Congrats on the victory...............I just wish it didn't happen that way........................the look of disbelief on the faces of the Mississippi State players was really hard to take...............ND will be ranked number one for the start of next season with all your players ready to roll...............let's see how you all like the pressure that UConn has had to live with for so many years.............it is a heavy weight to bear..............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Miss. St. lost it at the FT line, 10 for 17, while ND was 15 for 17. Plus Teira McGowan missed a LOT of bunnies, going 7 for 19. Miss. St. has no one to blame but themselves.
Yes. If MS had hit their free throws the game would not have been so close even with McCowan missing so many close in shots.

Reaction Score
She got fouled the layup after but .....
Cone on...just let it drop. ND won this fair and square, considering that humans officiate these games. McCowan parked in the lane all night and was not called for 3 sec for the most. I say the officiating evened out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@Orangutan Here ya go buddy...... gonna need some of this to dilute all the salt forthcoming :cool:

leblu.jpg

Reaction Score
Jeff Walz saying that "player" is pretty good. ;)
Coming out of high school I wanted L’ville to get Ogunbowale before Durr. Then, after Durr’s soph year I thought Durr. Can we trade? Nah, keep Durr

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You can’t hip check a player ever. And she levels her to the ground
I haven’t looked at a reply other than the one shown immediately after the play during the game. I thought it was borderline, and could have been justifiably either called or not called.

But in terms of how officials should call the game (which doesn’t always exactly correspond to the black-and-white rules in the book), if the contact occurred after the MSU player had already lost control of the ball (as opposed to the contact causing her to lose possession), then considering how late in the game it was, an official could justifiably make a no-call on the grounds that the contact did not affect the outcome of the play — which is true. An official could justly be accused of deciding the game herself rather than letting the players decide the game if she calls a foul at that point that did not affect the play, specifically the loss of possession by MSU.

The call on McCowan a few moments later had to be made because it was clearly intentional. It definitely benefited MSU to make that call, since otherwise Notre Dame would have had an uncontested layup that probably would have won the game. I was impressed that McCowan was quick-thinking enough to commit that foul at that moment. I don’t think it would have occurred to very many players to do that.

I suppose it is obvious, but let me say for the record that I think all of the complaints on this forum about the officiating being biased (let alone rigged), either for Friday’s games or for this game, are completely without merit. Any of the three teams that lost this weekend could have won if they had made a few plays better than they did. When games are that close and you lose, you need to look in the mirror and not at the zebras.

Reaction Score
Yes. If MS had hit their free throws the game would not have been so close even with McCowan missing so many close in shots.

What a joke of a thing to say. Yeah they deserved to have their hearts ripped out because someone PAID to do a job FAILED.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I appreciate your honesty.......Mabry is a really smart player.....that's exactly what she was trying do....regardless, Congrats on the victory.....I just wish it didn't happen that way....the look of disbelief on the faces of the Mississippi State players was really hard to take.....ND will be ranked number one for the start of next season with all your players ready to roll.....let's see how you all like the pressure that UConn has had to live with for so many years...it is a heavy weight to bear....
And Arike will be ESPN's preordained NPOY next year.

Reaction Score
Cone on...just let it drop. ND won this fair and square, considering that humans officiate these games. McCowan parked in the lane all night and was not called for 3 sec for the most. I say the officiating evened out.
These games have been so mistake ridden. Even when officials blow last minute calls you can come up with 5 last minute boneheaded plays or point blank missed shots to offset the horrible calls

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I haven’t looked at a reply other than the one shown immediately after the play during the game. I thought it was borderline, and could have been justifiably either called or not called.

But in terms of how officials should call the game (which doesn’t always exactly correspond to the black-and-white rules in the book), if the contact occurred after the MSU player had already lost control of the ball (as opposed to the contact causing her to lose possession), then considering how late in the game it was, an official could justifiably make a no-call on the grounds that the contact did not affect the outcome of the play — which is true. An official could justly be accused of deciding the game herself rather than letting the players decide the game if she calls a foul at that point that did not affect the play, specifically the loss of possession by MSU.

The call on McCowan a few moments later had to be made because it was clearly intentional. It definitely benefited MSU to make that call, since otherwise Notre Dame would have had an uncontested layup that probably would have won the game. I was impressed that McCowan was quick-thinking enough to commit that foul at that moment. I don’t think it would have occurred to very many players to do that.

I suppose it is obvious, but let me say for the record that I think all of the complaints on this forum about the officiating being biased (let alone rigged), either for Friday’s games or for this game, are completely without merit. Any of the three teams that lost this weekend could have won if they had made a few plays better than they did. When games are that close and you lose, you need to look in the mirror and not at the zebras.

It affected the play.

Getting knocked to the ground would’ve prevented her from recovering the ball. Hence play was affected.

It was also no different than the McCowan foul. It stopped her pass from getting through

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
How was that mugging by Mabrey on William at about the half court line not called a foul? Mabrey needed to mug to stop the MSU fast break. That’s the game right there.
Refs are HORRIBLE and BIASED badly !

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Lol. What?????

Reaction Score

What BS.

Reaction Score
the 3 by i think it was mabrey when ND was down 5 and coming out of a timeout was a killer. no reason for the miss st player to drop down leaving mabrey open

Reaction Score
Wow this hurts. Will we still get an asterisk beside ours?
I know your question is rhetorical, but I'll answer the question for other posters. No title has an asterisk. Do people think that UConn's 2013 title has one because Baylor was knocked out early? No title has an asterisk, period. ND won in the semi-final and the final in spectacular fashion. The players on either team have control on the calls other than adjusting. I was critical of Arike the whole game, but she made a miracle shot. This F2F was probably the best in years.
Honestly, people like the watch the men's game for the competitiveness rather than the execution. I will say that I enjoy both, but execution more. But people always eat on WBB and supporters always have to bring up that the women's game is more "fundemental." I put that into parathesis because I believe it's true, but others dont. This FF had to have been more entertaining than most of the others.

Reaction Score
McCowan can't miss that layup. However there should have been a foul call on ND when Miss St was driving the winning basket. The non call caused the turnover and subsequent ball for ND.

And you left out the resulting 5th foul on McCowan. That obvious non-call changed the whole dynamic.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
the 3 by i think it was mabrey when ND was down 5 and coming out of a timeout was a killer. no reason for the miss st player to drop down leaving mabrey open

I guess Mabrey hustled them by intentionally missing every 3 pt shot she took until that one. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom