Champions League Draw | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Champions League Draw

Reaction Score
Ouch, Ajax is ahead 2-0 over Tottenham and lead 3-0 in agregate at the half in Tottenham. The Spurs have 45 minutes to score 3 away goals and keep Ajax from scoring any more. Not promising.

Just, wow, Tottenham rallied to advance. One rule of thumb is don't get caught wasting time and then argue about it. Nearly every ref I know will add a minute just because.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I stopped watching at 2-0. Later I was looking at Liverpool articles and saw an update that said the Spurs had tied it at 2. I had to turn the game back on and watch from there. About the 80th minute. Amazing comeback.
Congrats @SAMCRO and the other Spurs fans. See you on June 1 @ 3.

Reaction Score
Ouch, Ajax is ahead 2-0 over Tottenham and lead 3-0 in agregate at the half in Tottenham.
Devastating Ajax loss. Even with about a minute left, they still had it in the bag and blew the game. Bummed for the underdogs and return of Ajax to big time until selling off players again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Devastating Ajax loss. Even with about a minute left, they still had it in the bag and blew the game. Bummed for the underdogs and return of Ajax to big time until selling off players again.
That collapse might have cost their coach the Barcelona job.

Reaction Score
What a week of football!!! I’m still buzzing. I was travelling for work and in meetings non-stop, so couldn’t watch either game. Was tracking on my phone (thank you FotMob app) when I could sneak a peak. Amazing results. Lucas is now a Spurs legend. Kane looked relatively fit running into the pitch to celebrate, so that’s promising. And Origi just sealed his name in the Liverpool’s history books. Wow.

English football, Kings of Europe! Looks like both European trophies will be residing in London this year ;).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And Origi just sealed his name in the Liverpool’s history books. Wow.
How much do you think his transfer value increased on Tuesday? Did it double?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is not going to help Chelsea's chances of winning Europa. Crazy for them to have a international friend at this point in the calendar.

I've seen a couple teams do that at the end of their season, before everyone takes off for vacations. They just happen to still have a cup game.

I guess Abramovich and Kraft have been doing a lot with these charities.

Reaction Score
It’s an absolute joke that match took place. To @meyers7 point, clubs do this from time to time. Usually a charity friendly, or some other publicity/PR thing. Needs to be an out clause on these if the team winds up in a ‘final’ of some sort (FA Cup or one of the European championships). Tough for Loftua-Cheeks. I’m sure Arsenal fans are grinning tho.

@meyers7 , any word about Mkhitarvan traveling to Azerbaijan or not? I’m assuming he will.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It’s an absolute joke that match took place. To @meyers7 point, clubs do this from time to time. Usually a charity friendly, or some other publicity/PR thing. Needs to be an out clause on these if the team winds up in a ‘final’ of some sort (FA Cup or one of the European championships). Tough for Loftua-Cheeks. I’m sure Arsenal fans are grinning tho.

@meyers7 , any word about Mkhitarvan traveling to Azerbaijan or not? I’m assuming he will.
Not sure. They can't get any guarentees of safety from UEFA. Basically, they say, the ban has been lifted for Mkhitaryan only. I don't know if they'll take him without some kind of guarantee.

Reaction Score
Not sure. They can't get any guarantees of safety from UEFA. Basically, they say, the ban has been lifted for Mkhitaryan only. I don't know if they'll take him without some kind of guarantee.

Wouldn't risk his safety for just 1 game, even if it is the Europa final. For the team and fans overall, I know the US State Department has Azerbaijan as an 'increases risk' location. I would also be a little wary of a major international event being that close to Iran right now. I assume UEFA is getting paid a lot of Euros from some local oil sheik to host this event 2,800 miles from London.

Reaction Score
While its not quite the same, it still feels good to see the statement 'Lyon demolish Barcelona to win the Champions League title.' Props to the Lyon ladies for their 4th title in a row and 6th in the last 9 years with a 4-1 win.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
just read that he is OUT of the squad and will not travel. what a shame it is.
Yea, I believe yesterday the President or someone in the government said he would be safe, IF he came to play football. However, if there was anything else political, then that's a different story. (Not verbatim, but the general idea.) Which almost comes off as a threat. When I read that, I thought, yea he ain't going.

Reaction Score
Yea, I believe yesterday the President or someone in the government said he would be safe, IF he came to play football. However, if there was anything else political, then that's a different story. (Not verbatim, but the general idea.) Which almost comes off as a threat. When I read that, I thought, yea he ain't going.

But, UEFA 'gaurnteed' Mkhitaryan would be safe. Maybe they could seal him in the safe full of gold that Azerbaijan FA gave to UEFA to be able to serve as hosts, then he would be safe.

As a FYI, the Azerbaijan FA President is Rovnag Ibrahim oglu Abdullayev. He also owns the State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR), which is an old Soviet-era oil and gas company that has ties to both the Kremlin and Iran. The company seems to like to hide those relationships under the good press it gets by being a big sponsor of both UEFA and FIFA. Shocking.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s a shame. He’s making the smart choice, but it’s ridiculous anyone would ever be put into this situation.

Reaction Score
back on topic - spurs and scousers alike, AO Hartford is hosting a viewing party for the Final on 6/1 at Tavern Downtown - it's one of the better attended events and a fun time for all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom