OT: - Celtics 2020 Offseason | The Boneyard

OT: Celtics 2020 Offseason

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Rather than clog up the Playoff thread, figured we could have a fresh one for this.

I look at the Celtics offseason and see a few key needs:

1) shooting - this team needs to add some 3 point shooting somewhere, I would prefer the stretch 4, but really even bench shooting is needed.
2) help at center - I would assume Kanter is gone, Poirier is completely useless, and they need some more help to defend modern 5s.
3) backup PG - having a Derek Fisher type (3 and D) point guard to spell Kemba would be ideal.
4) bench depth - this team needs some guys who brad can trust to give minutes to so the core team isn't gassed in the 4th qtr. They played by far the most minutes of the playoffs.

Assets:
Pick 14
Pick 26
Pick 30
Pick 47

Mid-level exception
Bi-Annual exception

they have cash to buy some picks (more on this later)

FA: the celtics will not have cap space to sign any major FAs.

They barely have any roster space right now. I think 3 spots if they don't guarantee Semi and Javonte Green's deals. Plus Wannamaker is a RFA at 31, which is the typical age where PGs start to drop off. But they need to figure out what they'll do there. My guess is they won't be spending all 3 picks in round 1 this year.

Let's get started:

Mid-Level Exception:
Last year they used this on Kanter and I think they could go big again. I'm thinking guys like Milsap, or Ibaka or maybe Marc Gasol. However, the rockets, Lakers, Raptors, and Warriors will all be looking at similar guys as well. There will be lots of competition here. But this would be the best use IMO.

Bi-Annual:
I've said in the playoff thread they needed a james posey type. at first I thought Justin Holiday but he isn't good enough on D to deserve that. but he would provide shooting and size to guard the 2 and 3. But a wing who shoot better than green or semi would be ideal. But that's the challenge there. I just question if either of those guys would shoot enough to get more playing time. This could also be a spot to find a new back up PG, maybe a Trey Burke.

The Draft

This is a time for some wild, wild stuff. I doubt Danny uses all 3 picks in round 1. I don't' know if he trades up from 14 to land the USC center, or if he does a move similar to last year where he turns a late first and salary (in this case Poirier, last year it was Baynes) for a first next year. I'm ok with that. I als wouldn't mind trading 26 and 30 together to land a big time foreign stash like Poku, who has more upside than most of the draft, but is a HUGE risk. I don't think he's a very danny pick though. But the upside of him is worth the gamble. He almost certainly has to get past Denver and probably Dallas IMO. Or maybe the deal is with Dallas, who will need to move the pick in some form to get max cap space for next summer. However, I wouldn't' be upset if Danny took Poku at 14.

I'm not sure how high they'd have to move up for the USC center, he could reasonably go anywhere from about 2-9 and none of them would shock me.

For 26 and 30, guys who are Danny type picks are guys who tend to be stronger than average for their position. Getting 2 of the Grant Williams upperclassmen who can contribute now types (including at PG) and stashing Poku at 14 is a very real possibility IMO. Taking a legit backup PG who projects as a positive form day 1 could be huge, of the guys on the board at the time (Terry, Lewis, Jones, Pritchard, Winston) my guess is Flynn or Pritchard. If Danny doesn't do that but could buy either Pritchard or Flynn in round 2 would be excellent as well.

Some guys I really like in round 2:

Paul Reed- if the shooting coach can do anything with him, he's a hell of a steal. His shooting is really the one thing holding him back right now. To me he's a good two way guy who can get time to develop his shot and not take up a 15 man roster spot.

Trevelin Queen - a guy who is a bit older, but his rebounding, block and steals numbers are off the charts for a prospect...and he can shoot the 3. Honestly wouldn't hate him at 30 if it had to be done. But I'd rather 47 or a bought pick. Most mocks i see have him falling to 47 though.

Isaiah Joe- I did say Boston needs more shooting right?

Something else to consider: Boston will be capped out for the next few years, so trading future firsts is not ideal because drafting talent is going to be the only way to find affordable valuable players. So I would avoid doing that.

Reaction Score
I think they move Hayward, I think they can figure something out with indiana. Pacers might move oladipo/turner, so why not the celtics.

I'm not sure how hayward is valued and how an expiring contract like his is valued, but something like hayward plus picks plus for turner and one of mcdermott/j lamb doesn't sound too far off?

i do think ibaka is a really good fit for this team.

Reaction Score
trader danny could drafted herro instead of langford and brandon clarke instead of grant williams. just sayin. the bench killed them.

the Q

Reaction Score
I think they move Hayward, I think they can figure something out with indiana. Pacers might move oladipo/turner, so why not the celtics.

I'm not sure how hayward is valued and how an expiring contract like his is valued, but something like hayward plus picks plus for turner and one of mcdermott/j lamb doesn't sound too far off?

i do think ibaka is a really good fit for this team.

To get both of them it’s probably GH, Big swat bob, Romeo and 14 as a starting point

the Q

Reaction Score
trader danny could drafted herro instead of langford and brandon clarke instead of grant williams. just sayin. the bench killed them.

No he couldn’t. Miami got herro because they won the coin flip and picked ahead of Danny.

You wanna rip him, do it for trading up for a grown man named kelly instead of giannis or stifle tower.

the Q

Reaction Score
I could see Danny taking Xavier Tillman. He’s very grant like and could be another guy who can defend modern 5s like bam.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I would be doing anything to offload Kembas contract. Gotta bank on tatum and brown taking the next step, and find some bench players who aren't terrible.

the Q

Reaction Score

That trade back hurt a bit for sure. He arguably should’ve just taken Clarke at 14

the Q

Reaction Score
I would be doing anything to offload Kembas contract. Gotta bank on tatum and brown taking the next step, and find some bench players who aren't terrible.

That’s next summer imo. Everyone will have cap Space. Good time to sell if they don’t teach the top next year

Reaction Score
No he couldn’t. Miami got herro because they won the coin flip and picked ahead of Danny.

You wanna rip him, do it for trading up for a grown man named kelly instead of giannis or stifle tower.
right. well then he shoulda taken alexander walker instead of romeo.

the Q

Reaction Score
right. well then he shoulda taken alexander walker instead of romeo. romeo is terrible.

I do wonder how much of it was the question of his hand injury hurting his jumper in college.

Now the answer appears to be, not that much. A decent gamble. But it does hurt now.

I was ok with the pick, but really wanted sekou once he fell. But I like swinging for upside

Reaction Score
Not writing off Romeo after year 1.

I think Timelord takes a jump next year into being a very serviceable starter/ matchup platoon with Theis. These playoffs was just a year too early for him. I liked the flashes and I think he and Theis are good complements for the price (late 1st rookie scale and $5 mil).

A stretch 4 would be awesome and agreed on upgrading Wanamaker. Agreed on Ibaka, although he's pretty close to washed. I think Celtics were trying to trade for Bertans at one point, but I doubt can afford him with the taxpayer midlevel. I would love to bring back Crowder, but he's going to be popular after he's played well this post-season.

Shabazz is lurking as an option...

Reaction Score
Need to get the USC center, Tyrell Terry, or Aaron Nesmith in the draft even if trading up to do it.

Then depending on who we get, need scoring off the bench and someone that can guard a center.

the Q

Reaction Score
Need to get the USC center, Tyrell Terry, or Aaron Nesmith in the draft even if trading up to do it.

Then depending on who we get, need scoring off the bench and someone that can guard a center.

you can probably get 2/3. Assuming that you can get terry at 26.
14 and 30 probably gets you up to like 10 for nesmith. Except Phoenix also could use him, especially since they will be looking to dump oubre for cap space to sign vanvleer.

I don’t know if Washington or The Knicks make the deal.

Reaction Score
The most important addition to the Celtics next year will be Kemba. He will get better in the off season. Now that he knows what it takes to win in the playoffs, he will work his butt off to provide it. Bet on it.

Reaction Score
I think Myles Turner could be an ideal fit at center, great defensively, versatile on offense with his ability to shoot the three. Outside of that, their bench needs some serious help

the Q

Reaction Score
I think Myles Turner could be an ideal fit at center, great defensively, versatile on offense with his ability to shoot the three. Outside of that, their bench needs some serious help

without an updated trade machine I think it costs are or smart to make it fit cap wise.

Reaction Score
If I was danny I would do whatever to get vucevic from orlando

Reaction Score
I don't watch a ton of Pacers games but is Turner just a bad fit with Sabonis? I see he's still playing 30 mpg and putting up solid numbers. I've always liked his game. He's not great but he's typically the kind of role player you find on a winning team. I'd imagine Celtics fans would be pretty fired up if they acquired him.

It's obvious that Boston needs help at the five (Theis is nice and all for what he is as a player but you're not winning a championship if he's your starting 5) and a bigger backup point guard for Kemba. We all love Kemba but he has his limitations and isn't match-up proof.

the Q

Reaction Score
I don't watch a ton of Pacers games but is Turner just a bad fit with Sabonis? I see he's still playing 30 mpg and putting up solid numbers. I've always liked his game. He's not great but he's typically the kind of role player you find on a winning team. I'd imagine Celtics fans would be pretty fired up if they acquired him.

It's obvious that Boston needs help at the five (Theis is nice and all for what he is as a player but you're not winning a championship if he's your starting 5) and a bigger backup point guard for Kemba. We all love Kemba but he has his limitations and isn't match-up proof.

Yes they’re an awful fit together. Indy should’ve traded sabonis last summer to fit their roster better. Especially since they already committed to turner.

And yes they need a better backup than wannaker.

Reaction Score

Turner is becoming Roy Hibbert 2.0, there is no way I’d take him over Sabonis lol. He is a good shot blocker, I’ll give him that, but he is weak and gets pushed around

Reaction Score
Turner is becoming Roy Hibbert 2.0, there is no way I’d take him over Sabonis lol. He is a good shot blocker, I’ll give him that, but he is weak and gets pushed around
I would 100% take Sabonis over Turner, but I’m not sure I agree with the Hibbert comparison (although I get what you’re saying). Roy came into the NBA at a really bad time, as the game was starting to shift away from bigs with limited mobility.

From what I’ve seen of Turner, athleticism is not a problem, but his motor might be. However, I think he would be more effective in Boston’s system than Indiana’s, and he would certainly be an upgrade over Theis.

Reaction Score

Have no regrets about not drafting Giannis. Ainge has come out and said the same thing. Who could predict he would have a growth spurt like he did. Biggest one is jimmy butler that year, Ainge said he almost took butler but didn’t and regrets it to this day

the Q

Reaction Score
Have no regrets about not drafting Giannis. Ainge has come out and said the same thing. Who could predict he would have a growth spurt like he did. Biggest one is jimmy butler that year, Ainge said he almost took butler but didn’t and regrets it to this day

Giannis was considered to have the highest upside in that draft.

I loved Gobert. Elite defender who shot over 70% from the field against pros. Olunyk even being this good has been a shocker.

Reaction Score
I would 100% take Sabonis over Turner, but I’m not sure I agree with the Hibbert comparison (although I get what you’re saying). Roy came into the NBA at a really bad time, as the game was starting to shift away from bigs with limited mobility.

From what I’ve seen of Turner, athleticism is not a problem, but his motor might be. However, I think he would be more effective in Boston’s system than Indiana’s, and he would certainly be an upgrade over Theis.

Yea, I was just meaning in terms of softness. They are different style of players for sure

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom