Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It was the ND Guards who imposed their will
It's January 5th
A lot to work on.
Toughness and rebounding (for ND) won out today.
UConn allowed ND to push them around in the 1st half; responded well in the 2nd half but ND set the tone on UConn's home court
Games aren't lost on the last play; Kelly made a nice drive and dish to KML but shot didn't go in.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
She's absolutely correct.
we haven't spoken about how many boards ND was getting.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn out rebounded NC 42 to 33. They also had more offensive rebounds, 15 to 13 so rebounding was not the problem.
The Huskies rebounded terribly in the first half. IMO, that's when they lost the game. Too many dumb fouls, they were rushing (bad) shots and were not getting rebounds.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Also, this is a guard's game and ND has two outstanding guards in Diggins and McBride.

UConn was starting to take over the game and Diggins made 2 huge threes.

Bria Hartley struggled today. I thought she was back to form but maybe not.

Reaction Score
Also, this is a guard's game and ND has two outstanding guards in Diggins and McBride.

UConn was starting to take over the game and Diggins made 2 huge threes.

Bria Hartley struggled today. I thought she was back to form but maybe not.

So much for the claim by some that Diggins is overrated, eh?

Dont know what's up with Bria. Banks, Dolson, KML have all showed significant improvement since last year. Bria may have actually regressed.

Reaction Score
I wonder if she knows how to fit in with this team. Bria took 8 shots today. We might have to ask why our AA only took 8 shots.

I'm also not sure she's back to form anyway. Her one good game came against a poor team, and she scored a ton because she was able to easily steal the ball.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
UConn out rebounded NC 42 to 33. They also had more offensive rebounds, 15 to 13 so rebounding was not the problem.
Per the official sheet, UConn was outrebounded 45-44 when including team rebounds.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Huskies rebounded terribly in the first half. IMO, that's when they lost the game. Too many dumb fouls, they were rushing (bad) shots and were not getting the rebounds.

I agree Nan. Nice comeback but I think most of us had a bad feeling watching the first half. At least I did. It didn't look good and I thought the team was fortunate to be down only 2 points at the half.

Reaction Score
Do you think her torn ligament and missing the entire preseason is the reason for that?

I actually had forgotten about that, but thanks for the snarky response.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I actually had forgotten about that, but thanks for the snarky response.

It wasn't meant to be snarky. I actually wrote in my post that my question was serious but erased it because I didn't think it would be taken that way. As I said in another thread, Bria isn't herself and I, like others, wonder if she's still hurting or if missing so much time is still affecting her.

Since you raised the topic of Bria's poor play, I wondered if you had any thoughts on the reason for it. Nothing more than that.

Reaction Score
It wasn't meant to be snarky. I actually wrote in my post that my question was serious but erased it because I didn't think it would be taken that way. As I said in another thread, Bria isn't herself and I, like others, wonder if she's still hurting or if missing so much time is still affecting her.

Since you raised the topic of Bria's poor play, I wondered if you had any thoughts on the reason for it. Nothing more than that.

Yes, I just saw your other thread. Sorry.

Her decision making doesnt seem to be as good, which would seem less like a physical issue. Though who knows, physical issues might lead her to have less confidence and thus not lead as well.

Also it's not like she seems slower or is shooting a lot worse.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes, I just saw your other thread. Sorry.

Her decision making doesnt seem to be as good, which would seem less like a physical issue. Though who knows, physical issues might lead her to have less confidence and thus not lead as well.

Also it's not like she seems slower or is shooting a lot worse.

Playing with a lack of confidence is something I thought about as I watched her play today. She seems to be moving okay which makes me think it's more mental than physical. I hope that's the case. She's a competitor and will fight through it.

I'm more worried about Stewart's psyche/confidence at this point.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
ND asserted themselves in the first half. Simply put, they were "in sync" and we weren't.

A comparison of the freshmen is instructive. Ours (Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck) shot a collective 5-21, 0-6 on treys. ND frosh (Loyd and Mabrey) shot 7-16, 3-5 on treys. Stewart had a tough first half.

I am disappointed in the result but I liked seeing Geno play all three freshmen and I think this will pay dividends in March. The ND back court of Mabrey and Loyd for three more years is a headache inducer, cured by thinking about Jefferson + Banks + Chong, not to mention Ekmark out on the wing.

Give Muffet credit for winning with little production coming off the bench. That may catch up with ND in March.

Diggins played like an All-American and McBride was as rude to UConn today as Novosel was in the past. Excellent game for each. Dang!

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I didn't think Diggins played like an All-American - she played good. Yes they won, but she hit 4/15 shots and had 7 turnovers. She did do a good job filling the stat sheet elsewhere.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The game was l0st in the first few minutes. Caroline injured and on the bench. Caroline creates tempo,poise and gets the team rolling. Second KML and Stef with early foul trouble. KML and Doty on the bench early and we were out of sink. Doty keeps us in sink.

We played really stupid at times. We didnt get the ball inside, and we kept getting beat on long inbound passes when we were pressing. We did not play a good game and with Stef in early foul trouble and her third foul to start the second half and KML and Doty on the bench early we struggled. This is a game of alot of ifs. The biggest if is can we make the necessary changes before the end of the season. This was a game where ND lost 4 starters and we lost one. Its a tuff loss but it also shows us what we need to work on and one is get the ball inside and second is to penetrate. Third is listen to your coachs.

BTW Espinosa Hunter and Saniya Chong sat together. and Brianna Turner and her dad sat next to them.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm more worried about Stewart's psyche/confidence at this point.

Stewart looks like a freshman who has been told to shoot the ball whenever possible. Which is basically what we've read from Geno and the horde on multiple occasions. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't - but I'm not sure that in the case of a freshman, no matter how talented, one should keep on with that philosophy when it's not producing as well as it should.

I agree that it's a lot to put on Stewie's shoulders at this point, and that doing so may be counterproductive at least as far as the jumpers are concerned (she looked rushed). Now, taking it to the hole whenever she sees the opening---I'm still in favor of that :)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Second KML and Stef with early foul trouble. KML and Doty on the bench early and we were out of sink. Doty keeps us in sink.

Doty keeping the team in sink.....

team_in_sink.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stewart looks like a freshman who has been told to shoot the ball whenever possible. Which is basically what we've read from Geno and the horde on multiple occasions. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't - but I'm not sure that in the case of a freshman, no matter how talented, one should keep on with that philosophy when it's not producing as well as it should.

I agree that it's a lot to put on Stewie's shoulders at this point, and that doing so may be counterproductive at least as far as the jumpers are concerned (she looked rushed). Now, taking it to the hole whenever she sees the opening---I'm still in favor of that :)

Geno made a comment in his post-game pc that suggested Stewart is taking this loss hard.

There's no question she's struggling. But I can not help but think that she will come out of this adversity and be better for it. I just don't know when that will happen; I hope it's this season. There will be a lot of fans (especially of other teams) who will say Stewart has been over-hyped, she's not as good as some think, etc. The reality is that it's impossible to watch Stewart and not believe she'll be the tremendous player most expect her to be. But there's no question she's struggling right now. She doesn't have the same personality as Diana so Geno will need to handle her differently. It'll be fascinating to watch.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Geno made a comment in his post-game pc that suggested Stewart is taking this loss hard.

There's no question she's struggling. But I can not help but think that she will come out of this adversity and be better for it. I just don't know when that will happen; I hope it's this season. There will be a lot of fans (especially of other teams) who will say Stewart has been over-hyped, she's not as good as some think, etc. The reality is that it's impossible to watch Stewart and not believe she'll be the tremendous player most expect her to be. But there's no question she's struggling right now. She doesn't have the same personality as Diana so Geno will need to handle her differently. It'll be fascinating to watch.
To win the title this season, we will need Breanna to be really good. I have no doubt she can, but like you....I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I didn't think Diggins played like an All-American - she played good. Yes they won, but she hit 4/15 shots and had 7 turnovers. She did do a good job filling the stat sheet elsewhere.

What Diggins did do was make 2 huge three-pointers when UConn was beginning to take control of the game. Those were huge and it's what AAs do. But, yes, she did turn the ball over which she's done in the past against UConn. She typically makes up for them with some big plays.

As for the last play which resulted in Diggins' two FTs (I think the last two points though I'm not certain), Bria forced her right which is what you want to do against her. Diggins is much less effective going to her right. The problem was the help defense wasn't there. I'm not sure who should've been there but it was either Dolson or Stewart.

Reaction Score
That's why Bria being off really hurts.

Last year wasn't a problem with who was going to step up. We knew which player was going to dominate for Uconn. Bria. What we didn't know, was if anyone was going to help her. Usually Kelly did, but typically no on else would. (We'd win big games when Kaleena would help out.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom